Proposal: Trouba Mega thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I seriously dont see NYR letting Trouba go somewhere else without trying to give up alot of pieces for Trouba. Our defense is so bad its just laughable

No interest in a bunch of low end pieces not required, it's about quality over quantity. I don't see what/would the Rangers could offer to get it done. Highly doubt rangers are even on the short list.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Bob Mackenzie seems to think that the jets are not really trying that hard to trade Trouba. More like a lets wait and see type situation

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Bob Mackenzie seems to think that the jets are not really trying that hard to trade Trouba. More like a lets wait and see type situation

Not surprised, likely have seen the offers teams can offer at the moment and have said screw that. Force Trouba to sign and trade him at later date when return is much better.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not surprised, likely have seen the offers teams can offer at the moment and have said screw that. Force Trouba to sign and trade him at later date when return is much better.

Both Trouba/Agent and Chevy are walking a tightrope, will be interesting seeing who falls off....and if they hit the safety net.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Priority #1 - Get a similar top pairing young LHD.

Will Chevy move off his LHD demand close to the Dec 1st cut off, with expansion looming? Maybe, then it becomes:

Priority #2 - BPA available (aka a young dynamic forward top line ability)

No interest in picks or quantity over quality. Your offer contains none of priority 1 or 2, it's just quantity. Yes you include a mid range younger forward (middle six) and a bottom 4 LHD prospect.....hardly a overwhelmingly good offer that Chevy can't pass up. I highly suspect even if Chevy went with priority 2, he would find a much better quality type of offer out there.

No way that we need a BPA forward as priority #2. We need a a quality young D or prospect that is ready to hit the NHL. That has to be the base for this trade IMO. And no, Skjei does not meet that criteria so not sure there's a deal to be made with the Rangers.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
No way that we need a BPA forward as priority #2. We need a a quality young D or prospect that is ready to hit the NHL. That has to be the base for this trade IMO. And no, Skjei does not meet that criteria so not sure there's a deal to be made with the Rangers.

Quality young D is covered in priority 1, if that never becomes an option Chevy might choose to go via priority 2 (aka not a young D).

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Both Trouba/Agent and Chevy are walking a tightrope, will be interesting seeing who falls off....and if they hit the safety net.

That's been stated since the start of all this, who blinks first. Thus why I've stated since the start of this, that this has no chance of being resolved until the 11th hour (aka mid-late nov). Until we arrive at the 11th hour I don't even think Chevy is even going to look seriously at offers. Teams will make their best offers at the 11th hour, offers now are just tire kicking tires offers or bait offers......real offers will start rolling in during the 11th hour.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

As far as a safety net goes, Chevy will see his contract extended soon in Winnipeg and the owner said exactly that over the summer (when Trouba had already asked for a trade). Looking at the team, the Jets are gaining depth by the year with or without Trouba.

I think Overhardt misread the situation here by a large margin. He likely saw the young roster, the young goaltending, and the hole that Trouba would leave in the Jets D - and assumed the Jets would be eager to make a deal to fill it... but Overhardt failed to spot that Josh Morrissey was poised to near-seamlessly fill a huge chunk of the gap. Overhardt perhaps felt Cheveldayoff would face pressure to deal Trouba from ownership; wrong. Chipman is a really competitive guy that probably doesn't like having an RFA player attempting to dictate how TNSE should run their business. Overhardt likely felt the fans might panic and call for a snap trade; wrong. It is preferable to have Trouba sit out versus accepting anything less than a return that replaces his value in the lineup, today.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I seriously dont see NYR letting Trouba go somewhere else without trying to give up alot of pieces for Trouba. Our defense is so bad its just laughable

Right like the Rangers really have a say if Trouba ends up somewhere else, What LHD are you going to offer for Trouba because Brady Skjei isn't going to cut it. And adding Miller wont work because Winnipeg doesn't need any more wingers period. McDonagh is a no go other then Skjei the Rangers really don't have the LHD that Chevy would be interested in. Really don't see the Rangers being a fit for Trouba any more then Detroit not being a fit because we don't have the pieces for Trouba other then Larkin and that's not happening.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As far as a safety net goes, Chevy will see his contract extended soon in Winnipeg and the owner said exactly that over the summer (when Trouba had already asked for a trade). Looking at the team, the Jets are gaining depth by the year with or without Trouba.

I think Overhardt misread the situation here by a large margin. He likely saw the young roster, the young goaltending, and the hole that Trouba would leave in the Jets D - and assumed the Jets would be eager to make a deal to fill it... but Overhardt failed to spot that Josh Morrissey was poised to near-seamlessly fill a huge chunk of the gap. Overhardt perhaps felt Cheveldayoff would face pressure to deal Trouba from ownership; wrong. Chipman is a really competitive guy that probably doesn't like having an RFA player attempting to dictate how TNSE should run their business. Overhardt likely felt the fans might panic and call for a snap trade; wrong. It is preferable to have Trouba sit out versus accepting anything less than a return that replaces his value in the lineup, today.

My post wasn't meant as a shot at Chevy/Jets. I am fully on Chevy's side in this. I can't stand whiny pissants who do this. I will laugh if Trouba ends up sitting for the full season....and then Chevy drags it out again next season.:laugh:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Right like the Rangers really have a say if Trouba ends up somewhere else, What LHD are you going to offer for Trouba because Brady Skjei isn't going to cut it. And adding Miller wont work because Winnipeg doesn't need any more wingers period. McDonagh is a no go other then Skjei the Rangers really don't have the LHD that Chevy would be interested in. Really don't see the Rangers being a fit for Trouba any more then Detroit not being a fit because we don't have the pieces for Trouba other then Larkin and that's not happening.

You're misinterpretting the quote. What the poster is saying is that NYR won't let the opportunity to acquire Trouba pass by without making some kind of major offer. The poster is not asserting what you are thinking.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
My post wasn't meant as a shot at Chevy/Jets. I am fully on Chevy's side in this. I can't stand whiny pissants who do this. I will laugh if Trouba ends up sitting for the full season....and then Chevy drags it out again next season.:laugh:

I wasn't arguing with you; was just reinforcing in my own view which group it is that holds the trump cards.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Good guy Liferleafer.

It's in every other GM's best interests to not have these situations occurring every once in a while. If Trouba gets traded, everyone loses in the end, and there's nothing they can do about it.

I've said that Trouba and Overhardt severely misjudged the situation, as Gump explained in his post. They want too much with their little leverage, and their attempt to hide their plans by saying that it's purely based on playing RHD is nonsense. Sitting for a year would do wonders to Trouba. Or not, as it really does nothing to him, as he won't improve or even get a chance to show anything to anyone.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Good guy Liferleafer.

It's in every other GM's best interests to not have these situations occurring every once in a while. If Trouba gets traded, everyone loses in the end, and there's nothing they can do about it.

I've said that Trouba and Overhardt severely misjudged the situation, as Gump explained in his post. They want too much with their little leverage, and their attempt to hide their plans by saying that it's purely based on playing RHD is nonsense. Sitting for a year would do wonders to Trouba. Or not, as it really does nothing to him, as he won't improve or even get a chance to show anything to anyone.

The annoying part in this, IMO, is that the Jets gave this kid everything. He was playing big minutes, and he was going to get paid. I hope there is negative feedback for both Trouba and Overhardt.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Completely agree, IMO the only question is what does Chevy see as replaces his value in the lineup and what is available on the market. LHD or just BPA, is the big question IMO.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Completely agree, IMO the only question is what does Chevy see as replaces his value in the lineup and what is available on the market. LHD or just BPA, is the big question IMO.

In the end, i think it will be BPA. I just don't see any young skilled LHD available in a deal.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The annoying part in this, IMO, is that the Jets gave this kid everything. He was playing big minutes, and he was going to get paid. I hope there is negative feedback for both Trouba and Overhardt.

I think it's fair to say neither are big fan favourites right now, but I think most fans look at them with a bit of amusement b/c the fans know/confident that Chevy/Chipman will not blink first......b/c they can't....it would set a precedent moving forward and cripple the team.......Chipman who is a passionate Winnipeger and billionaire will not allow that. He was front and centre trying to save Jets 1.0 and was caught on camera crying when they left during a rally. You can bet he will not do anything to risk the team's future here ever.....allowing spoiled young millionaire who are RFA dictate where they play and sit out.......puts the jets future at risk if Chipman blinks first. Trouba will lose this battle (sign or sit out the year) or Chevy will get a very good return (full value for Trouba)......there is no other options for the jets.....this is about much more then just Trouba. This is setting a precedent and warning all other RFA, the jets won't blink......b/c it's not even an option for us, this is our future.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
You're misinterpretting the quote. What the poster is saying is that NYR won't let the opportunity to acquire Trouba pass by without making some kind of major offer. The poster is not asserting what you are thinking.

Well yes i saw where the poster suggested that the Rangers wouldn't let Trouba look somewhere else without making a major offer, The only kind of offers from Ranger fans i see is a Miller+Skjei deal for Trouba. Sorry but i don't see that as a major offer and i doubt that Cheveldayoff would accept it. Miller isn't a need with what the Jets have and Skjei isn't a LHD upgrade over losing Trouba. Still other then McDonagh i don't see the Rangers being a fit for Trouba.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
In the end, i think it will be BPA. I just don't see any young skilled LHD available in a deal.

I agree, but not all jets fans agree. But all the offers to date have been just low ball or for play type of offers.......the real offers haven't even started yet.....Chevy will start getting those I expect around the middle of November.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010

It will come down to sit or sign for Trouba. Chevy is likely trying to get an idea on how badly Trouba hates Winnipeg; however, based on Maurice's "we saw this coming comment" I could see the Jets letting him sit if they do not get what they want as in trade value.

Basically, kick the problem down the road a bit. If December 1 passes and Trouba has not signed, there will be little talk about Trouba until maybe the trade deadline for a tanking team.

Hard to say if it will be just the BPA, more likely it will be the BPA that helps them with the expansion draft.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well yes i saw where the poster suggested that the Rangers wouldn't let Trouba look somewhere else without making a major offer, The only kind of offers from Ranger fans i see is a Miller+Skjei deal for Trouba. Sorry but i don't see that as a major offer and i doubt that Cheveldayoff would accept it. Miller isn't a need with what the Jets have and Skjei isn't a LHD upgrade over losing Trouba. Still other then McDonagh i don't see the Rangers being a fit for Trouba.

Agreed. Miller & Skjei is a low ball offer at best. Chevy wouldn't even look at that as a real offer, he wouldn't even take the call.....his secretary would decline the offer. Call back if you have a serious offer. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think the excellent play of Josh Morrissey so far this season might alter the Jets' priorities. He's slotted into Trouba's designated spot on LD with Byfuglien and has been rock solid. He hasn't had anything less than a very good game yet tis season, and you can count the number of bad shifts on one hand. If he continues his strong play the Jets might decide that LHD isn't as big a need as they thought. Morrissey might fulfill the high expectations he elicited in the two years after his draft.

Another consideration is the expansion draft. It's been assumed that the Jets would protect 4 D and 4 F, especially with Trouba or another high end D. However, the very strong early season play of young forwards like Armia and Lowry might make them think twice about wanting to expose them in the expansion draft. If they can manage with their D as is for this season, I could see them shifting to getting high value through a top end forward and perhaps a good D prospect in exchange for Trouba. That would allow them to expand their F protected list to keep a very promising young forward like Armia (who has been one of the Jets' best forwards so far this season).

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think the excellent play of Josh Morrissey so far this season might alter the Jets' priorities. He's slotted into Trouba's designated spot on LD with Byfuglien and has been rock solid. He hasn't had anything less than a very good game yet tis season, and you can count the number of bad shifts on one hand. If he continues his strong play the Jets might decide that LHD isn't as big a need as they thought. Morrissey might fulfill the high expectations he elicited in the two years after his draft.

Another consideration is the expansion draft. It's been assumed that the Jets would protect 4 D and 4 F, especially with Trouba or another high end D. However, the very strong early season play of young forwards like Armia and Lowry might make them think twice about wanting to expose them in the expansion draft. If they can manage with their D as is for this season, I could see them shifting to getting high value through a top end forward and perhaps a good D prospect in exchange for Trouba. That would allow them to expand their F protected list to keep a very promising young forward like Armia (who has been one of the Jets' best forwards so far this season).

Agreed, that's my opinion as well. Josh has been one of our top players, Chevy no doubt isn't in a rush to do anything with Trouba until he's got a very good look at Josh on the top pairing.....and then he might change his request and watch the offers roll in for BPA. Good times

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Agreed. Miller & Skjei is a low ball offer at best. Chevy wouldn't even look at that as a real offer, he wouldn't even take the call.....his secretary would decline the offer. Call back if you have a serious offer. :laugh:

Miller + Skjei + pick

I'm obviously in the minority, but I actually don't mind the offer as much as other Jets fans. I think Miller and Skjei are both being underrated here. IMO Miller has 25-25 ability while providing versatility (can play all F positions). I also believe Skjei has top 4 ability and have watched a lot of him since before he was drafted, so I'm probably a lot more aware of his abilities and expectations, than most Jets fans. He's also expansion exempt, which would allow the Jets to protect 7/3/1.

IMO the odds of the Jets getting an equal LD is very unlikely. Might as well explore other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad