Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think he is signed for next season likely for around $1.5-$2 mil. It will be interesting what that 3rd pair will look like next yr. Does Kleven start the yr in Belleville or Ottawa, that is the question?

Brannstrom - Hamonic/JBD ..... or .....
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD

Reactions: Senovision

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think Kleven starts in Ottawa next season.
I think JBD starts in Belleville.
I believe JBD has to go through waivers. We can’t really afford to lose him, we have no RD outside of Zub and not much in the way of prospects. If he’s not the #6 dman he will likely start as the #7.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think he is signed for next season likely for around $1.5-$2 mil. It will be interesting what that 3rd pair will look like next yr. Does Kleven start the yr in Belleville or Ottawa, that is the question?

Kleven - Hamonic/JBD
or Kleven-Brannstrom
Hamonic/JBD

IMO Kleven is ready. He could go to Belleville ...all situations; PP touches etc ..
Signing Hamonic pushes that a bit if they are not willing to put JBD on waivers.
I still like Hamonic. I think he has been good for the team and he brings good depth.
I have been a JBD supporter but I don't think Kleven should take a back seat to him regardless of the handedness. I would rather have Kleven getting big minutes in the AHL vs platooning him in the NHL.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
After the Leafs choke this year, I hope Dubas throws Hamonic a 4 year $3.5 million deal at him as a Holl replacement. Hamonic is only really worth it to us at a $1-1.5 million deal, at least if we want to try to keep Cat.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Kleven starts in Ottawa next season.
I think JBD starts in Belleville.
Kleven is ready, but might benefit from login 20+ all situation mins in the AHL, JBD is waiver eligible and likely needs to adapt to the NHL moreso than develop in the AHL.

I suspect Kleven will get sent down.

Reactions: bicboi64 and DrEasy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Kleven - Hamonic/JBD
Or
Kleven - Brannstrom/Hamonic

or Kleven-Brannstrom
Hamonic/JBD

IMO Kleven is ready. He could go to Belleville ...all situations; PP touches etc ..
Signing Hamonic pushes that a bit if they are not willing to put JBD on waivers.
I still like Hamonic. I think he has been good for the team and he brings good depth.
I have been a JBD supporter but I don't think Kleven should take a back seat to him regardless of the handedness. I would rather have Kleven getting big minutes in the AHL vs platooning him in the NHL.
Just saw this. Yes to this.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Kleven is ready, but might benefit from login 20+ all situation mins in the AHL, JBD is waiver eligible and likely needs to adapt to the NHL moreso than develop in the AHL.

I suspect Kleven will get sent down.
During the final Belleville game Dorion did an interview where he said JBD has a roster spot in the NHL next season, so I think he's pretty much locked in.

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-JBD

That's your opening night defense. If they can fit Hamonic under the cap he probably bumps Bernard-Docker to the 7 hole, otherwise they probably sign somebody to a league minimum type deal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
or Kleven-Brannstrom
Hamonic/JBD

This is why I think that it's possible they move Brannstrom over the summer, but given that Kleven is waiver eligible it also makes sense to start him in Belleville if nothing happens to the defence. IMO JBD will be on the roster either as a 6th or 7th D because he is waiver eligible & I assume they will also re-sign Hamonic for another yr or two.

Brannstrom is looking like the odd man out especially if they want to bring Kleven up sooner or later. Kleven brings a size & mobile factor they lack & seems to handle the puck with some confidence & has a rocket of a shot from the blueline. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I rather have Kleven up than JBD tbh.

No hamonic+kleven in the dcorps just makes it look like it will lack grit.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I rather have Kleven up than JBD tbh.

No hamonic+kleven in the dcorps just makes it look like it will lack grit.
If you do that you risk losing JBD on waivers, and then when (not if) injuries happen you will have to dig even deeper into your AHL D depth.

Just go with JBD for now and Kleven in the AHL, and when (not if) injuries happen you can call him up, and you haven't lost JBD. With our luck this means Kleven will still be playing from Day 1 in Ottawa.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If you do that you risk losing JBD on waivers, and then when (not if) injuries happen you will have to dig even deeper into your AHL D depth.

Just go with JBD for now and Kleven in the AHL, and when (not if) injuries happen you can call him up, and you haven't lost JBD. With our luck this means Kleven will still be playing from Day 1 in Ottawa.

If Kleven is really good in training camp and preseason .. it will make that decision tougher.. maybe they keep 8 if Hamonic is signed. The only one Penned into a spot in the 5/6 is Brannstrom.
What are you going to do if you have a horse like Kleven that's showing he deserves to be up.
JBD likely gets claimed if waived. I don't think thats the best out come .. it could be a pickle.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I don't understand the "lack of size" argument with this team...

Sens are the 6th tallest team in the NHL this year and right around league average in weight at 20th heaviest...

Players over 6' that I would not consider slow:

Batherson
Gauthier
Tkachuk
Kastelic

and Kleven if you bring him in.

I think the way Brannstrom played vs the way JBD played (albeit in only 19 games) we absolutely are bringing Brannstrom back, and the ONLY way I see us moving on from him is as part of a package with DBC for a bonafide young starting goalie (Juuse Saros has a career .919 and is only 28, Demko has .910 on VAN and is only 27, as examples)

But then we risk running a top 6 with Greig or Pinto in it. are we ok with that in a year where we NEED to make the playoffs? in this scenario it would look like this:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Greig/Pinto - Stutzle - Giroux
??? - Pinto/Greig - Joseph
Brassard? - Kastelic - Gauthier
Kelly?

Sanderson - Chychrun
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Hamonic
JBD?

Saros/Demko
Forsberg

Who fills that ??? spot? does Brassard return? Are we actually comfortable with JBD sitting most of the season? 'Cause we're not going to run a Kleven - JBD pair... no shot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Demko is signed for 4 more yrs & Saros for 2 more yrs, I don't see them being traded, good goalies are too hard to find & they are both young. IMO the only goalie that could be available that are decent goalies are one of Andersen or Raanta in Carolina. If they could trade Joseph that would free up his salary to pay for most of the goalie's salary, that would be the best scenario IMO & fixes the goalie situation in Ottawa hopefully.

If Norris & Formenton return & they are able to re-sign DBC long term they mostly have solved their top 9 situation for the next few yrs. The 4th line could also be fixed rather quickly depending on how Ostapchuk does once he turns pro. This team could score a lot of pts, they had five 60 plus pt players this yr which is rare with Batherson having a down yr & Norris out for most of the season.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
DBC - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Greig - Pinto
Gauthier - Kastelic - Sokolov/Kelly

The top 4 D could be the best they have had in yrs & we really haven't seen what Chychrun could do yet here & Chabot having a down yr & Zub injured missing a number of games. The only question remaining on D is the 3rd pairing & whether Kleven starts in Belleville or Ottawa. JBD is likely on the roster due to being waiver eligible. Hamonic is most likely going to be re-signed which leaves Kleven & Brannstrom. Unless Brannstrom is moved at the draft or over the summer it's likely he starts in Ottawa & Kleven in Belleville unless Kleven severely outplays him in TC.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Kleven/Brannstrom/Hamonic/JBD

Andersen - Forsberg/Sogaard

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interested to see if they disrupt 2 pairs and Hamonic plays with Sanderson. I probably would

We need two pairs and we need Sanderson to chew up TOI . I think its better to set the pair and play them vs rotating that partner often through the game.
If Hamonic can't do it . change him for JBD. Both are a downgrade from Zub

Zub and Sanderson have been our best pair so far ainec imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interested to see if they disrupt 2 pairs and Hamonic plays with Sanderson. I probably would

We need two pairs and we need Sanderson to chew up TOI . I think its better to set the pair and play them vs rotating that partner often through the game.

JBD has played with Chabot in previous callups and done alright, they could throw Chych and Sanderson together as an option.

Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

I think Sanderson is fine playing with Hamonic. They have familiarity with each other and Hamonic doesn't have to do too much.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
JBD has played with Chabot in previous callups and done alright, they could throw Chych and Sanderson together as an option.
They might. One of them (Chych, Sandy) would need to play on the right side, and although I would probably have had Chych on the right to start the year . They haven't

We may see it start one way and change as well.

I think Sanderson is fine playing with Hamonic. They have familiarity with each other and Hamonic doesn't have to do too much.
I think the familiarity is an important factor.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
It's funny how a couple years later, Hamonic is a highly respected veteran leader on the Sens. Yes, he's a #6 D-man who has declined, but he's full of grit and effort and will stand up for and is loved by his teammates.

Meanwhile, the Canucks' dressing room is still a disaster, their coach is losing his mind 3 games into the season! The Canucks again will be a team whose results end up less than the sum of their talent. Very little character and leadership on that "team".

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Sly says probably so not definite at this point. It would be interesting that removing Zub would result in all 3 D pairs changing and Brannstrom moving over to RD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad