Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Had the pleasure….or not….to see Travis practicing at the Bells Sensplex this morning by himself. My son has a hockey tournament all weekend there. So the kids were loving it. I spoke to the rink security and they said he had the ice for himself only. He had a hundred pucks and was up and down the ice shooting etc. the guy looks dejected. Apparently he rented the ice himself
Well I mean not like he would be playing under any circumstance. He must have known he would be in and out of the lineup?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Had the pleasure….or not….to see Travis practicing at the Bells Sensplex this morning by himself. My son has a hockey tournament all weekend there. So the kids were loving it. I spoke to the rink security and they said he had the ice for himself only. He had a hundred pucks and was up and down the ice shooting etc. the guy looks dejected. Apparently he rented the ice himself

He has to understand that he has to sacrifice himself for the good of the team, and that is by not playing

In French we say : « il brille par son absence »

Wish they had the courage to do the same with Kubalik, nothing personal with these guys, should have been moved to another team a while ago (I wouldn’t have brought them in in the first place)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He has to understand that he has to sacrifice himself for the good of the team, and that is by not playing

In French we say : « il brille par son absence »

Wish they had the courage to do the same with Kubalik, nothing personal with these guys, should have been moved to another team a while ago (I wouldn’t have brought them in in the first place)
I think they're still hoping to extract some value out of trading Kubalik, maybe get a 5th rounder if they retain a bit? But the moment the deadline is passed, if he's still around, expect him to be waived and sent down. But I maintain he could be useful to a team with a plethora of playmakers who could set him up for his quality shot. Wonder how he'd do, as an experiment, if he played with Stutzle, but right now I wouldn't touch that line with Joseph and Giroux of course.

But with Hamonic's NMC, they're stuck with him no matter what. He provides depth as a 7th D. As we've seen this year, and pretty much every year of this team's history (and NHL's history), injuries will happen and he'll get to play again. We don't exactly have a better option as RD right now anyway. Guenette's try-out wasn't very convincing. He seemed a bit shy.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Crazy he has another year and a nmc.

He's not even good enough to be a number 7.
They might have to buy him out. I expect to add a vet RD to play 2nd pair with Chabot and JBD and Guenette are not waiver exempt.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They might have to buy him out. I expect to add a vet RD to play 2nd pair with Chabot and JBD and Guenette are not waiver exempt.
Why on earth would you buy out 1 yr of a 1.1 mil,

Worst case he'll stick around as a 7/8 and provide depth. He can waive his NMC if he isn't satisfied with that role, but a buyout is pointless.

Brannstrom I expect is gone, if Guénette isn't good enough to be playing games I don't see us keeping him up anyways, he'll get waived whether he's waiver exempt or not so that he can continue to get mins and develop.

• Haha
Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why on earth would you buy out 1 yr of a 1.1 mil,

Worst case he'll stick around as a 7/8 and provide depth. He can waive his NMC if he isn't satisfied with that role, but a buyout is pointless.

Brannstrom I expect is gone, if Guénette isn't good enough to be playing games I don't see us keeping him up anyways, he'll get waived whether he's waiver exempt or not so that he can continue to get mins and develop.
His NMC could haunt us next year. I don’t want to risk losing JBD or Guenette because Hamonic is taking a roster spot. If we carry 13 forwards and 8 D we may get stuck having to waive one of the D if there are a 3 short term injuries at the same time.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
His NMC could haunt us next year. I don’t want to risk losing JBD or Guenette because Hamonic is taking a roster spot. If we carry 13 forwards and 8 D we may get stuck having to waive one of the D if there are a 3 short term injuries at the same time.
He won’t take a roster spot and we have cap space.

Reactions: NB613

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
How will he not take a roster spot if we don’t buy him out ?
He’ll sit in the stands. We don’t really need a different 7th D man, if we have injuries we can bring up a kid from Belleville if we want.

Getting Hamonic off the roster is not a priority in my opinion.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Unless Guénette is good enough to be playing regularly, he's getting waived regardless of whether we keep Hamonic or not imo.

I very much doubt we buyout Hamonic, just manage the cap better than Dorion did and we'll be fine,

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Unless Guénette is good enough to be playing regularly, he's getting waived regardless of whether we keep Hamonic or not imo.

I very much doubt we buyout Hamonic, just manage the cap better than Dorion did and we'll be fine,
And if Guenette and JBD are better in camp than Hamonic, which I’m sure they will be, you are fine losing one ?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
He is a disaster tonight. I tell my teenage son not to put that puck up the middle in front of your own goalie

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And if Guenette and JBD are better in camp than Hamonic, which I’m sure they will be, you are fine losing one ?
I don't think both will be long term pieces on this team, so yeah, I don't see losing the less of the two as a big deal, though I don't see Guenette getting claimed. He doesn't have the track record or the draft pedigree for me to be worried about it.

But in the event both are significantly better and we are actually worried about losing one, we run with 8 D, and rotate in JBD and Guenette, maybe look for a trade that makes sense.

Just leave some cap space to allow for callups and we're fine, worst case, use the emergency callup provisions like we did this year.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think both will be long term pieces on this team, so yeah, I don't see losing the less of the two as a big deal, though I don't see Guenette getting claimed. He doesn't have the track record or the draft pedigree for me to be worried about it.

But in the event both are significantly better and we are actually worried about losing one, we run with 8 D, and rotate in JBD and Guenette, maybe look for a trade that makes sense.

Just leave some cap space to allow for callups and we're fine, worst case, use the emergency callup provisions like we did this year.
Hamonic is done. I don’t need to see him next year. Signing Guenette to an 800K deal and buying out Hamonic is cap neutral.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The guy is a veteran who is past his prime. I feel for the guy because he has always been a player with heart and competitiveness.

I wanted us to get him instead of Josh Brown or Erik Gudbranson in 2020. There were many who told me he was done then (he wasn't) . Those same people told me Brown was going to be very good and then 2 years later lauded the Hamonic trade.

But he's done now. If there was an expansion team he'd be perfect for them. He should never have been given 2 years. But here we are. Just ride it out.

Reactions: Emrasie and mysens

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We should try to unload Hamonic some how... I don't see buying him out as a big deal and I don't like an 8 D solution in any event. My biggest problem is that he takes a spot and blocks another player coming in even as a waiver pickup. He encumbers flexibility and adds nothing.

His buyout in the off season would cost $366,667 / yr for 2 years. Easy decision to make if Cap Space is not an issue.

Reactions: GCK and DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I hope some random contender has a brain fart moment and offers us future considerations for him and Hamonic is down to go ring chasing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad