Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Like most fans, I read the reports when Hamonic was acquired, and thought WTF, what a bad move. After watching him play for 6 games, reading about his history of charitable work with kids who lost a parent in New York, and with native kids in Calgary, and watching him being interviewed, I now think it was a good acquisition.
On the ice, Hamonic is clearly our 3rd best defenseman (not counting Sanderson). He has stabilized DelZotto, who doesn't look so bad anymore. I'm glad we have him for next year to pair with Sanderson. It's also nice to have some grit and toughness on D that can actually play, unlike Brown.
Based on the interviews, he seems like a stand-up guy. He was nominated for the King Clancy award once. He seems like a genuine sincere person, a family first guy.
He opted out of the playoffs due to a sick child, and fear of Covid. He also was the last guy on Van to get vaccinated, seems to have been afraid of that too. I wouldn't demonize someone over these things.
Seeing how eager "unnamed" Canucks players leaked to the media how they are glad he is gone to me says a lot more about the Canucks and how toxic their dressing room might be. And Methot gleefully decrying that Hamonic sounds like a strange bird, etc, says more about Methot's character than Hamonic.
All I can say is welcome to the team Travis, I'm very glad he's here, hope he stays after next season for the rest of his career. As I said, I expected this guy to be a washed up bad guy, and he seems to have some game left, and seems like a sincere good guy who was misunderstood.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
As someone flabbergasted by spending a 3rd and still think it was overpayment, I've been really impressed. Money is probably low for someone who plays like Hamonic.

For once we bring in 2 guys at the deadline who don't suck.

Reactions: bicboi64

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Initially shocked by the acquisition. Now I'm a convert. He's doing fine. Seems to be very stable back there. Should be good next season.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Solid so far. Brings a calm and physical element. Most impressed by his ability to make the right pass or get the puck out hard when needed.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Initially shocked by the acquisition. Now I'm a convert. He's doing fine. Seems to be very stable back there. Should be good next season.
I didn't like the cost given the context (it didn't help with Dorion coming out after and saying they wanted a 4th) but I've always liked the player from his days in NY. I was a bit concerned that he might not be what he used to be at this stage, but while that is true, he's been fine.

Reactions: umma gumma

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Just goes to show you that maybe Vancouver's locker room is the problem, and not Hamonic. Maybe he felt they were a bunch of clowns, who knows. But the guy has been very good and kind of reminds me of Methot without the hip checks. If they want to put him with Chabot, that might be a mighty fine match, because Hamonic still skates very well

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Just goes to show you that maybe Vancouver's locker room is the problem, and not Hamonic. Maybe he felt they were a bunch of clowns, who knows. But the guy has been very good and kind of reminds me of Methot without the hip checks. If they want to put him with Chabot, that might be a mighty fine match, because Hamonic still skates very well
I'm never really quick to rush to judge

What I did know Hamonic was that he played many years as a top 4 in NYI, that family was at the top of his priority list and that being on waivers was the result of vaccination status not play.

My initial inkling was that capuano had him for several years in NYI so if he was a dressing room A hole, Capuano would know. The fact Capuano wanted him, knowing we have a tight knit group, I weighed heavily. I also wondered if he was a dressing room A hole, why did Vancouver re-sign him? They initially signed him for a year. Then re-signed him for 2 more. That doesn't say to me he was a problem in the room

I stayed out of the Hamonic thread. Felt it was a rush to condemn Dorion, nothing more. Looks like a solid pick up to me and paying a bit extra for a 20 game trial is at this point looking prudent

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I still wish Dorion had made a move for a legit top 4 guy, but Hamonic has been playing very well.

Can't take that away from him. Always happy to eat some crow if it means the Senators did something right.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Like most fans, I read the reports when Hamonic was acquired, and thought WTF, what a bad move. After watching him play for 6 games, reading about his history of charitable work with kids who lost a parent in New York, and with native kids in Calgary, and watching him being interviewed, I now think it was a good acquisition.
On the ice, Hamonic is clearly our 3rd best defenseman (not counting Sanderson). He has stabilized DelZotto, who doesn't look so bad anymore. I'm glad we have him for next year to pair with Sanderson. It's also nice to have some grit and toughness on D that can actually play, unlike Brown.
Based on the interviews, he seems like a stand-up guy. He was nominated for the King Clancy award once. He seems like a genuine sincere person, a family first guy.
He opted out of the playoffs due to a sick child, and fear of Covid. He also was the last guy on Van to get vaccinated, seems to have been afraid of that too. I wouldn't demonize someone over these things.
Seeing how eager "unnamed" Canucks players leaked to the media how they are glad he is gone to me says a lot more about the Canucks and how toxic their dressing room might be. And Methot gleefully decrying that Hamonic sounds like a strange bird, etc, says more about Methot's character than Hamonic.
All I can say is welcome to the team Travis, I'm very glad he's here, hope he stays after next season for the rest of his career. As I said, I expected this guy to be a washed up bad guy, and he seems to have some game left, and seems like a sincere good guy who was misunderstood.
Hear! Hear! Very well said.

While I wasn't vocal about it (other than giving a 3rd when ask was a 4th) I read the same stuff and came to believe he wouldn't be any good for us as thought his time had passed.

Happy to be very wrong and he moves well enough to be a good RD for a couple more years. Would be great to have someone around to support Chabot physically.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Did you know that Hamonic is the Métis word for 'elite'?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I was optimistic about this one. Glad to see it's working out so far. He's less of a square peg in a round hole than some of the others we've used on D, I just think the fit is better and he's put in a position to succeed.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I'm a big fan of Methot, but I really didn't think much of him tweeting that out. Seemed really unnecessary, especially before the guy even played a game for us.

Reactions: JD1

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm a big fan of Methot, but I really didn't think much of him tweeting that out. Seemed really unnecessary, especially before the guy even played a game for us.

Agreed. Maybe he called guys out in VCR and they didn't wsant him in the country club. Afetr watching the special on his father, and how he died young of a heart attack, it wasn't difficult to connect the dots on why he didn't want the vaccine, if it might cause myocarditis

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I thought there was also a really heavy religion pushing in the dressing room rumor similar to David Booth, or am I making that up? Swore I saw that referenced at the time of the trade.

Edit: I searched and only found random chatter about this, so it appears to be hearsay at best.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I thought this thread deserved a bump. Hamonic has been pretty solid the past few weeks, putting his body on the line and has been a stable presence for Sanderson.

Also, some well deserved goggles last night:

Reactions: aragorn

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I hope we keep Hamonic a few more years. Obviously prefer him on the 3rd pairing but he's a warrior out there. Great leader.

Reactions: Crosside

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I always feared Dorion viewed this as a bargain bin #4 acquisition to not actually go out and get that top 4 RD we need. I like him on the 3rd pair, he's good there.

Reactions: bicboi64

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If they don't find another RD they could play JBD next yr on the right side along with Zub & sign Hamonic for another yr.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If he's good with an extension that with a paycut, I'd be fine with him (of course assuming that he's only on the 3rd pairing aside from PK. A 2 year deal with a $2.25aav or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad