Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Trading Hanifin makes no sense. He’s been excellent out there tonight

Never understood it. I don’t get why people were so open to moving on from him, but giving someone like Kylington more time; when they’re the same age, and one dude has shown to at minimum be a dependable middle pairing guy. One guy has upside the other doesn’t for some reason.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Tanev will be a nice d partner for Hanifin. I've been hoping ever since Tanev was signed that he'd play with Hanifin. Having a reliable partner like Tanev will make a huge difference in Hanifin's game.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think it's clear Gaudreau has the ability to bounce back this season, and it's all going to come down for the confidence for him to make risky plays that pay off

Khrox

May 31, 2018
As for Klyington, I think he should have been tried on the wing, I don't think much of his defensive game and not enough of his offensive prowess to be more than a 7th dman.
So basically give him the Morin treatment in Philly. They outright told him, he won't be making the team as a D at this point, unless some injuries happen, but he's too good for the AHL, and asked him if he'd be willing to transition to the wing. So he is now looking at a lock for a third or fourth line shut down winger, who gets PK minutes instead. Apparently he's transitioned really well, and the coach has really liked the work he's put in to make the transition to work.

Crosby and Sullivan also raved about his Hockey I.Q.

He just can't Shoot and can't win many board battles.
If he's playing with Gaudreau and Monahan, Simon will not be tasked with shooting the puck a whole lot. Mony is definitely the triggerman, and Johnny is definitely capable of shooting it well

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Mangiapane - Bennett - Nordstrom line is in session, baby

How's Mackey been
Haven't noticed him much at all. He's done uhh... some stuff? Fell over on a breakout and has made some tiny plays. Nothing to wow anyone really

Reactions: Mobiandi

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Domingue has looked pretty good as well.

Also, loving the fact that every time he is in the offensive zone, you're hearing Andersson involved in a good pass or a good shot.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not very good, better than Kylington though who has been predictably bad. Got to think Nesterov has the inside track for the #6 at this point.

Ruzicka always seems to impress me. Think there's a middle 6 C in there somewhere.

Mackey has been poor. Never understood the hype around him.
Nesterov didn’t leave CSKA to eat popcorn or play in the AHL

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Monahan wins best hair for 4th year running.

Mackey has been poor. Never understood the hype around him.
Nesterov didn’t leave CSKA to eat popcorn or play in the AHL

Not really that familiar with his game but definitely looks like a solid bottom pairing player. Want a guy with experience next to Jusso this sesason and that cannot be Stone.

Somebody needs to surgically remove the toe drag from Sam Bennett's brain.

Last edited:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I think Nesterov is gonna be one of those surprise players for us this year. Like, he's not going to be Ras or anything, but I feel like he's going to prove that he definitely belongs in the NHL, as a guy who can even handle top 4 (I half expect him to get some time there as we either deal with injuries, or rest guys like Gio and Tanev).

Dubcity

Feb 4, 2018
I was rather unimpressed with Levio and Mackey. Im excited to see Tanev play more he looked awesome, looked like a good fit with Hanifin. Valimaki looks like he should be running PP1 in no time. Simon looked like he could click with Johnny. Mangiapane and Backlund combo was deadly, and Bennett was well yeah Bennett

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
-Hanifin-Tanev was good and should stay together.
-Lindy and Monahan lines are good, including Simon.
-Mangi looks like he's taken a big step.
-Bennett played well and looked confident.
-Lucic had a good chance early, is still a dump truck and still sucks on PP2.
-Nordstrom looks like Joe Dirt and also sucks.
-Ruzicka is massive. Definitely some skill there, could have NHL potential yet.
-Zary looked easily twice as good as he did at the juniors. Finally see what management saw in him.
-Ryan was good.
-Valimaki's talent is undeniable
-Pelletier had a good chance in the 3rd, outside of that, didn't notice him much
-Zavgorodniy, Pettersen and Lerby all had moments.
-Kylington can still skate but thats where it ends, no toolbox
I don't see any big surprises coming and no one really looked worth of a few extra games yet.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’ll give Oliver the pass today, everyone’s a bit more up to speed, but he was the 9-10th best D out there tonight. I hope he clears, goes to Stockton and kills. That’s about where I’m at with him. I don’t think he makes us a better team in 2021, Nesterov will be perfect playing 15 a night with someone as skilled as Juuso.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
- I only half watched it because I had other stuff going on but Zary was good. I think he very well could be AHL ready and the WHL not starting might be a blessing in disguise.
-No one has mentioned Phillips set up on the Ruzicka goal which I think deserves some credit. He froze Hanifin and got Ruzicka the puck in the high slot.
-I honestly thought Pelletier wasn't playing until I heard his name about halfway through the game, he got a partial break in the 3rd though.
- Gaudreau was all over the puck. Simon worked decently with him and Monahan
-Monahan still isn't good defensively. Most notable example was when he was trying to pin Mangiapane to the boards and Mangiapane spun and was able to walk in and get a good back hand chance in tight. There were two other plays I wanted to highlight but they've slipped my mind.
- Mangiapane could have had 3-4 points he was red's best player by a mile. Andersson was good too but I think he switched halfway through.
- Stone is still awful
- Valimaki was a beast. He plays differently than any of our defensemen. He's constantly looking to contribute offense; cutting to the net and open areas and trying to get open for passes.
- If Ryan gets claimed (which I doubt because of his caphit) I'm going to be pissed. Just a super effective player. Saving 150K isn't worth the risk of losing him.

It's also one game where it looked like a bunch of the NHL guys were giving 75% effort so especially with regards to the new guys we shouldn't make any snap judgements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad