Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Ya, but how does saving a million and not playing Ryan make us a better team.
I think the idea is that you can move Ryan back and forth between the Flames line-up and the taxi squad in-between games to save money. At least for a month?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think the idea is that we do play Ryan, we just have him on the taxi squad before the season starts, we sign Stone/Ritchie, put them on the taxi squad, and then bring Ryan back up once they clear waivers.

Either that or he's a great option off the taxi squad and we have a solid bottom 6 without him in it for the time being
I don't buy it. Ryan has consistently been better than Simon and Nordstrom. Neither Ritchie or Stone are getting more than 700 000, wouldn't placing Kylington and Nordstrom free up the required space?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kylington getting claimed would be very Flames. The math suggests he probably wont though. He is very overvalued on this board.

Ryan being waived is initially puzzling to me unless its to facilitate a trade. Someone smarter than me will probably have a better explanation.

Cap relevance.
Waiving Ryan, and assigning him to the AHL allows Calgary to open up an additional ~150k in cap versus guys like Nordstrom and Simon.

On another note, there are likely no teams that are in a position to give Doc a look. His cap is too high for the teams that'd actually have valuable use for his services. Guys like Simon or Nordstrom would be league mins, and would have a slightly greater chance of being picked up off waivers from a competing team.

Reactions: BudRobinson53

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Has Kylington even been at practice yet?
I'm just curious, I've heard nothing about him.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Has Kylington even been at practice yet?
I'm just curious, I've heard nothing about him.
He practiced yesterday and maybe the day before? He was having visa issues and the mandatory quarantine interfered with him getting into game shape via camp and he wasn't able to skate until very recently, where he was in the "B" group

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Derek Ryan is a good player. Why is he on waivers?

He makes 3M. At that price you have to pay somebody to take him in this market.

He clears no issue, and BT need to thank whoever picks him up.

It's obvious they do not like Kylington based on the contract they just signed. Somebody may take a chance on him but at this time of year, everybody has their own prospects to protect.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Has Ryan declined a bit over the past year or is this just an attempt at clearing cap? He's the most surprising name on the list of waived players today. He'd easily slot in as the Canucks 3C right now if they had cap.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Derek Ryan has been one of the most consistent, versatile flames over the last few years.

So of course they waive him lol.

It's a logical gamble like Byron was. Treliving gambled that Byron was a tweener with injuries and most teams didn't have enough contract spots to keep him. Montreal voided Kassian's deal within 24 hours and nabbed him.

Ryan is similar is my best guess. Flames get flexibility either way and still play him it's unlikely that most teams can absorb 3 mil. They also get Ryan at a lower cap hit and salary for 20% of the season if they are successful. It's a gamble worth taking and has nothing to do with the player, but the intricacies of the contract.

Has Ryan declined a bit over the past year or is this just an attempt at clearing cap? He's the most surprising name on the list of waived players today. He'd easily slot in as the Canucks 3C right now if they had cap.

This is a pure contract/cap move and has nothing to do with the player IMO.

Treliving has a complex understanding of salary cap structure he likes to flex. Treliving does this type of stuff all the time with guys like Grossman (to maximize LTIR), McCollum/Bartkowski (expansion draft) etc. So IMO that's a reason why he would to this to Ryan without blinking.

I also read that someone thinks Treliving is going to maximize the taxi squad by running a short bench and basically no one in the press box. This also seems to make sense. Every penny counts and a special opportunity could show up late in the season by structuring it this way.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
This isn’t a gamble worth taking if he gets claimed. It’s a pretty decent hit to the bottom 6 and he would be missed

Reactions: Dack

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
This isn’t a gamble worth taking if he gets claimed. It’s a pretty decent hit to the bottom 6 and he would be missed
I agree, especially for an extra 130 thousand. Over the last 3 years he's consistently produced at a pace of 37 points per year, with a pretty offensively challenged supporting cast. Not to go all money-puck but that works out to about $81 000 per point. For comparison Johnny, at a PPG works out to $82 000. Thats some pretty good bang for your buck, especially being one of our better defensive guys. There has to more to it than the miniscule savings.

Reactions: User1996 and Dack

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Unless I'm missing something, with rosters needing to be finalized by tomorrow, the only teams with cap space and roster space to pick up Ryan are Nashville, Florida, and LA

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Ryan on Waivers is like 99% a cap move. If he clears, he can be sent back and forth from Taxi squad to main squad for 30 days, or 10 NHL games played. I fully expect him to be on the opening night roster, and on the taxi squad on off days (which adds an effective like, 130k cap space by trade deadline assuming he plays the first 10 NHL games, more if he isn't dressed for a couple games).

Rinaldo we always knew was going to be Taxi Squad, and pretty sure he knew it too. He just seems to genuinely love it here. Kylington and Mackey look like they might rotate 6-7th D/taxi squad, and Mackey doesn't need to clear, so assigning them to taxi squad on off days clears up additional space for TDL.

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020

I always believed that Ryan was Bill Peter's Swiss Army knife. The Carolina Hurricanes forums of yester-years would complain about his over use (under Peters) and taking ice from younger players with far more upside.

I think Ward and Treliving want to see a lot more from Bennett, good or bad as to keep or expose him to the expansion draft after the season. It will be interesting to see how the season progresses, but I still think there is an outside chance that Backlund could be exposed - if the flames can get enough out of Monohan, Lindholm and Bennett as centremen this year.

As for Klyington, I think he should have been tried on the wing, I don't think much of his defensive game and not enough of his offensive prowess to be more than a 7th dman.

Reactions: DFF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad