Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He'll be in Sweden next year
Honestly best thing for him would have been to play in Europe this year.

Gonna be funny when we expose Kylington in expansion and Seattle passes on him.
If a team didn't have to keep him on the active roster for 30 days, Kylington was easily claimed.

Seattle will pass if there are better options exposed, as they should do because it is logical. I doubt they pass on Backlund or Giordano, but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Nothing against your opinion, but I just want to address these two points.

To be fair you have to have a very high IQ to be the GM of a mediocre NHL team. There's a lot of intricacies that the common plebs don't understand like how signing Troy Brower to a big contract improves your team.

Guys like Peter Chiarelli and Paul Fenton definitely got their jobs through merit and were really just underappreciated geniuses. It's a ridiculous notion that all of the NHL GMs are actually super smart and savvy businessmen and everyone here is an idiot in comparison.

CEOs, CFO, CIO, COO etc. of many companies world wide have guys there that make major mistakes too. But they aren't as stupid as the average person thinks they are when they go and evaluate a handful of decisions out of thousands.

Genius? No. But many fans kinda play this, "Oh that guy sucks, I could do that at the NHL level..." thing, when a guy like John Scott would wreck you in a beer league game while also simultaneously getting wrecked by a guy like McDavid.

Even guys like Chia and Fenton have a few successes here and there. Chia has a cup and Fenton's criticized Fiala trade is now lopsided in the Wild's favour.

A bunch of fans think that they can be a GM because they do well in fantasy and I'm arguing that playing fantasy hockey is only a small portion of what the GM actually does (it is however one of the most scrutinized portions of their job).

Full marks to good GMs. Sakic (and the Avalanche) are one of the organizations that's the most invested in analytics and it's paying dividends. Yzerman has also turned into a fantastic GM. I just hate the idea that all GMs are super smart and great at their job and we can't critique decisions because they're GMs and we're not. I don't even think Treliving is bad... hes average IMO but for God's sake Mike Milbury was a GM for years. Simply having the job doesn't mean you're actually qualified or any good at it.

Fair. But as many are actually arguing, even the worst GM is likely going to do a far better job than the average fan. This because the average fan doesn't even know the extent of work a GM does for an organization and literally thinks a GM watches games for fun and plays fantasy league. IMO that's not even remotely close to half of the responsibilities of what a GM does (Good or bad).

There's two independent ideas going on here.

1. Criticizing a GM is fine.
2. Thinking you can do better than a GM. (Doing nothing is better mentality).

Criticize a GM all you want, but if a random fans thinks they can be a superior GM, that's where many other fans think that those fans are either stupid full of unearned confidence or hyperbolic and require a little bit of a reminder of their actual real life qualifications.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
They'll probably "call-up" Ryan from the taxi squad before Thursday's opener, and keep shuffling him back and forth until he's not waiver exempt anymore, so I fully believe he'll be in the starting line-up on Thursday.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I laugh at all the posters here that feel they are qualified to judge Treliving's intelligence/competence. 100% of you wouldn't get past the front door of any AHL club looking to hire a GM.... let alone an NHL one.
Frankly you're all morons in comparison to Treliving's hockey knowledge and expertise. So many self anointed hockey experts here.. sigh.

Oh... and do you really think that he makes these decisions all by himself? Guaranteed he seeks out he advice and thoughts of people like Conroy, Snow, Pascal, and Maloney.

I mean I somewhat agree.

but at the same time I stated at the time of transaction these would all be bad ideas.

Byron
Kulak
Grossman
Brouwer
Neal (less critical with this one-but still skeptical af)
Elliot

I mean the guy has made some pretty brutal moves that lots of HF posters saw as bad moves right away.
I think Treliving does a lot of good things, his business knowledge is unmatched. He’s never been a great evaluator of talent though, that’s been pretty obvious to me for years.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I mean I somewhat agree.

but at the same time I stated at the time of transaction these would all be bad ideas.

Byron
Kulak
Grossman
Brouwer
Neal (less critical with this one-but still skeptical af)
Elliot

I mean the guy has made some pretty brutal moves that lots of HF posters saw as bad moves right away.
I think Treliving does a lot of good things, his business knowledge is unmatched. He’s never been a great evaluator of talent though, that’s been pretty obvious to me for years.

Hamonic

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
They'll probably "call-up" Ryan from the taxi squad before Thursday's opener, and keep shuffling him back and forth until he's not waiver exempt anymore, so I fully believe he'll be in the starting line-up on Thursday.
So they just call him up and send him down over and over, but he gets into all the games?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I laugh at all the posters here that feel they are qualified to judge Treliving's intelligence/competence. 100% of you wouldn't get past the front door of any AHL club looking to hire a GM.... let alone an NHL one.
Frankly you're all morons in comparison to Treliving's hockey knowledge and expertise. So many self anointed hockey experts here.. sigh.

Oh... and do you really think that he makes these decisions all by himself? Guaranteed he seeks out he advice and thoughts of people like Conroy, Snow, Pascal, and Maloney.

And I laugh at people who think GMs are superior people no matter what....

Just like there are bad doctors and bad engineers, there are bad hockey GMs

Also when I talk about intelligence, it's relative to other GMs and it's hockey not general intelligence.

Last edited:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
So they just call him up and send him down over and over, but he gets into all the games?
Basically, he saves a significant chunk against the cap for TDL reasons if he's on taxi squad during non-game days. He can be recalled or sent down without clearing waivers again until he either plays 10 NHL games, or it's been 30 days.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Wonder if going with a roster of just 20, plus a taxi squad of 6 comes back to bite us, versus a full 23 man roster and a 6 man taxi squad (if we could have still carried 23).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Considering a reality show clown just spent the last 4 years in the most powerful office on the planet I would hope we're passed the idea that simply having authority indicates competency.

That's fair. But Treliving has shown many glimpses of competency. Trump, not so much.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Any time GM discussions come up, I think it's worth pointing out that roster decisions are just one aspect of a GM's job. It is not a video game where you watch the games and sometimes execute a trade.

A good example is Ron Hextall, who did great work with the Flyers in his time as GM, but got fired because he had poor interpersonal skills and was hard to work with.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Any time GM discussions come up, I think it's worth pointing out that roster decisions are just one aspect of a GM's job. It is not a video game where you watch the games and sometimes execute a trade.

A good example is Ron Hextall, who did great work with the Flyers in his time as GM, but got fired because he had poor interpersonal skills and was hard to work with.

I mentioned it on a main forum discussion, most people here have likely never managed a small group or even had a direct report, let alone 50+ contracts for players, 30+ for coaches, trainers, assistants, others, reported directly to a billionaire, 10+ scouts across NA and Europe, your counterparts, all 31 of them next year, would like nothing more than to bent your over a barrel.

The actual position alone is it’s own monster.

Reactions: Fig

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I mentioned it on a main forum discussion, most people here have likely never managed a small group or even had a direct report, let alone 50+ contracts for players, 30+ for coaches, trainers, assistants, others, reported directly to a billionaire, 10+ scouts across NA and Europe, your counterparts, all 31 of them next year, would like nothing more than to bent your over a barrel.

The actual position alone is it’s own monster.

Yeah like any GM in any other business. But we are not talking about that, as a consumer (fan), we are evaluating him on the product he is producing.

His owner may look at it differently. For example, he may produce a crappy product but if they are making money and his team (organization) is happy, they may be fine with him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
For all those who are unhappy with Treliving's performance as GM... Remember these guys?

Doug Risebrough - GM from May 16, 1991 to November 3, 1995
Al Coates - GM from November 3, 1995 to April 11, 2000
Craig Button - GM from June 6, 2000 to April 11, 2003
Darryl Sutter - GM from April 11, 2003 to December 28, 2010
Jay Feaster - GM from December 28, 2010 to December 12, 2013
Brian Burke - GM from December 12, 2013 to April 28, 2014

I'll take Brad Treliving any day of the week over the above listed predecessors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad