Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Phew, dodged a bullet. Thankfully, as idiotic as our GM, he's only average in intelligence relative to every other GM.

I agreed he is average but maybe Kylington is another Kulak/Worthspoon?

Anyway, like I said, Every team has a "hot" prospect to protect at this time. Most waiver pick ups are for role players. Nobody is going to risk their roster for a prospect.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's a pretty despicable thing to say, whether you agree with his moves or not he works his ass off trying to make this team better and has made far more positive moves than negative ones.

Work hard and intelligence are not the same. Just saying.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gonna be funny when we expose Kylington in expansion and Seattle passes on him.

It depends, they may have better option.

It's likely Kylington will be traded for another bust, just like Kulak. If BT wants to do him another favor.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Work hard and intelligence are not the same. Just saying.

Dude has done the following "intelligent"/atypical things that other GMs haven't even come close to emulating in full:

- Stone loophole
- Bartkowski. Dman expansion requirements for nothing.
- McCollum. Goalie expansion requirements for nothing.
- Grossman signing to leverage LTIR more than Grossman contract.

You can argue he knows enough to be dangerous and not necessarily effective, but you cannot argue that he doesn't know anything at all and is a complete doofus.

The above list doesn't even take into account other stuff he's done that other GM don't even work at. (ie: AHL alignment stuff, developmental retool, drafting etc.)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Dude has done the following "intelligent"/atypical things that other GMs haven't even come close to emulating in full:

- Stone loophole

You can argue he knows enough to be dangerous and not necessarily effective, but you cannot argue that he doesn't know anything at all and is a complete doofus.

The above list doesn't even take into account other stuff he's done that other GM don't even work at. (ie: AHL alignment stuff, developmental retool, drafting etc.)

Pro Sports is the only thing where random jabrones think they are far superior intellectually than people running organizations. The only other profession that is a highly scrutinized is politics.

I can't think of anything else. These guys normally spend from the age of 5-10, playing the sport, growing up in the sport, at some point transitioning into an office job within the sport, gaining years of experience in the sport in a non-ice/field capacity, then finally realizing the GM role. Meanwhile dudes who are like, "I played when I was 12, or never played at all, then I got a computer sciences degree, then I work in an office where I can barely look someone in the eye... me... I'm probably a much better person at making decisions than these people!"

I've never looked at an orchestra maestro and been like... maaaaaan, what's he thinking putting that flute in the 2nd chair?!?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As happy as I am to keep Kylington I feel bad for him as I think he can be a NHL defense man but our defense is to deep for him to crack. If we don't plan on playing him this year I wonder if we swap him for someone like Ho-Sang

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Like others have said, it looks like GMs didn't want to waste contracts on guys they don't know, especially guys with minimal NHL experience.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I mean its not a real tough team, outside of Lucic. Not many guys you want to see scrapping and definitely no one that should be tangling with heavyweights. He might be worth having on the taxi squad for that reason alone.
We have that answer. Rinaldo. Don't need Ritchie for it

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

- Stone loophole

I agreed. Personally I think he is average. Not as smart as many Flames fans claim but also not an idiot.

But your examples do not help him. Spending your intelligence on Stone/Bart/Grossman...etc is not really intelligent...lol

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I laugh at all the posters here that feel they are qualified to judge Treliving's intelligence/competence. 100% of you wouldn't get past the front door of any AHL club looking to hire a GM.... let alone an NHL one.
Frankly you're all morons in comparison to Treliving's hockey knowledge and expertise. So many self anointed hockey experts here.. sigh.

Oh... and do you really think that he makes these decisions all by himself? Guaranteed he seeks out he advice and thoughts of people like Conroy, Snow, Pascal, and Maloney.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I like it when some people on here decide they are the smart ones and all of the 31 proffessional GM's are the dumb ones instead of the other way around

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I agreed. Personally I think he is average. Not as smart as many Flames fans claim but also not an idiot.

But your examples do not help him. Spending your intelligence on Stone/Bart/Grossman...etc is not really intelligent...lol

What? The Grossman thing I think he doubled Grossman's contract value in LTIR space or something like that. It wasn't his fault Gulutzan was stupid and actually played Grossman. If you look past Grossman as a player, it was an example of "not the player, but the contract". It was a good paper move and a very smart move. It was stupid to play Grossman as much as we did. Treliving did waive him so that he couldn't be played though.

We literally exposed no one on D and G via UFA rules as well as using Bartkowski (Games played aggregate) and McCollum (RFA) as the players that met the requirements. Other teams exposed good players or had to spend assets to acquire a qualifying exposure requirement. Not Tre. Again the contracts were good and it was a good paper move. But Gulutzan kept playing Bartkowski for whatever damn reason. McCollum played a few games in the A and then went away. That's what I was expecting for Bartkowski, maybe 10 games as extra money for a "thanks for being a consummate fodder". I did not expect freaking 42 GP (Canucks connection with Gulutzan I think). I don't blame Tre on this contract. It was a smart move. It was stupid to play him as much as we did though and maybe Tre should have waived him so Gully couldn't play him.

Stone loophole, we brought him in not to play and to play at league minimum. IIRC we had like $35K cap space after adding Stone including his buyout (Tkachuk bridge off season). There weren't too many other UFA options at that time that would have accepted that type of role other than Stone. Stone wasn't bad when he first showed up, but injuries cratered his career really freaking fast. I can kinda give you this one, but IMO there weren't many options that were much better than Stone, especially with like $30K cap space after signing Stone at league minimum. Even an ELC would have pushed us over the cap.

It's basically like Pacific Rim the movie. So awesome! So stupid!

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’ve never got the Kylington love. He’s an offensive defencemen that does not produce.

personally I really liked Mackey last night. Looks like a third pair guy to me. Although the AHL benefits him I think

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like it when some people on here decide they are the smart ones and all of the 31 proffessional GM's are the dumb ones instead of the other way around

It's easy to do that when you don't have to face the repercussions. Imagining thinking you're a superior professional gambler because you won more money than Daniel Negreanu at the roulette table.

Reactions: Mazatt and Mitts

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
To be fair you have to have a very high IQ to be the GM of a mediocre NHL team. There's a lot of intricacies that the common plebs don't understand like how signing Troy Brower to a big contract improves your team.

Guys like Peter Chiarelli and Paul Fenton definitely got their jobs through merit and were really just underappreciated geniuses. It's a ridiculous notion that all of the NHL GMs are actually super smart and savvy businessmen and everyone here is an idiot in comparison.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Pro Sports is the only thing where random jabrones think they are far superior intellectually than people running organizations. The only other profession that is a highly scrutinized is politics.

I can't think of anything else. These guys normally spend from the age of 5-10, playing the sport, growing up in the sport, at some point transitioning into an office job within the sport, gaining years of experience in the sport in a non-ice/field capacity, then finally realizing the GM role. Meanwhile dudes who are like, "I played when I was 12, or never played at all, then I got a computer sciences degree, then I work in an office where I can barely look someone in the eye... me... I'm probably a much better person at making decisions than these people!"

I've never looked at an orchestra maestro and been like... maaaaaan, what's he thinking putting that flute in the 2nd chair?!?

Maybe you need to consider that I am simply a genius.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
To be fair you have to have a very high IQ to be the GM of a mediocre NHL team. There's a lot of intricacies that the common plebs don't understand like how signing Troy Brower to a big contract improves your team.

Guys like Peter Chiarelli and Paul Fenton definitely got their jobs through merit and were really just underappreciated geniuses. It's a ridiculous notion that all of the NHL GMs are actually super smart and savvy businessmen and everyone here is an idiot in comparison.
Conversely, when it comes to good teams, did Joe Sakic do anything special to learn the ins and outs of management? His name got him a seat at the table and respect from other GMs and agents. This guy's been learning on the job the entire time but he's damn good at it

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Conversely, when it comes to good teams, did Joe Sakic do anything special to learn the ins and outs of management? His name got him a seat at the table and respect from other GMs and agents. This guy's been learning on the job the entire time but he's damn good at it

Full marks to good GMs. Sakic (and the Avalanche) are one of the organizations that's the most invested in analytics and it's paying dividends. Yzerman has also turned into a fantastic GM. I just hate the idea that all GMs are super smart and great at their job and we can't critique decisions because they're GMs and we're not. I don't even think Treliving is bad... hes average IMO but for God's sake Mike Milbury was a GM for years. Simply having the job doesn't mean you're actually qualified or any good at it.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Full marks to good GMs. Sakic (and the Avalanche) are one of the organizations that's the most invested in analytics and it's paying dividends. Yzerman has also turned into a fantastic GM. I just hate the idea that all GMs are super smart and great at their job and we can't critique decisions because they're GMs and we're not. I don't even think Treliving is bad... hes average IMO but for God's sake Mike Milbury was a GM for years. Simply having the job doesn't mean you're actually qualified or any good at it.
I think there's a slight disconnect between critisizing a GM and implying that any random user could just "be a GM". Not all of the GM's are the smartest and some make questionable moves, but those are very few and far between from some people who are hired and kept around for merit as you mentioned before. Like, maybe we wouldn't have traded Eberle for Strome for Spooner for whoever, but would we have jumped to get Draisaitl and signed him to a risky contract that pays off? Would we have gotten Yammamoto, Turris, etc. etc. Even the worst GM's make moves better than the random hockey fan would. Maybe someone here has good GM qualities but it's still a jump to say they could get into the day-to-day tasks of a GM, and the long-term planning involved in the position

Reactions: Fig and Mitts

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I know I could be a successful GM. If I had a good cap guy with me. Here's my resume. I'm not cheap though.
I traded my way to second place from last in fantasy last year.

Reactions: Mitts

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I know I could be a successful GM. If I had a good cap guy with me. Here's my resume. I'm not cheap though.
I traded my way to second place from last in fantasy last year.

Sorry but silver medalists don't become GMs. Try again next year :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad