Training Camp Thread (UPD:9/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Agreed ZekeA

Weircioch and another good prospect like Prince I'd be fine with

Puempel has consistently improved since being drafted so I wouldn't trade him away now: he seems like a guy who should at least become a second line winger with a knack for the back of the net. Trading him and another asset for someone like Stewart, a player that could be the kind of player Puempel becomes at worst (other than somehow not making the NHL or injury) would be silly since we are not looking to make a push for contention yet

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
http://senators.nhl.com/club/m_blogs.htm?id=31993

Coach comments after Friday's scrimmages

To me sounds like he's setting the table for Lazar back to junior... And Cowen and Wiercioch are both on notice to step up.

Maclean comes from the Detroit system, where young players are developed util they are overripe. I don't think Maclean is a fan of handing over a roster spot to a 19 yo, even though he may deserve it.

MikeyMagic

Jun 22, 2005
http://senators.nhl.com/club/m_blogs.htm?id=31993

Coach comments after Friday's scrimmages

To me sounds like he's setting the table for Lazar back to junior... And Cowen and Wiercioch are both on notice to step up.

I don't get his dislike of Wiercioch. He can't honestly believe "when he was out of the lineup the other guys, we felt, gave us a better chance to win."

Anyone who felt Phillips was better than Wiercioch last year is nuts.

Wiercioch definitely has his faults defensively, but you can't tell me he couldn't have helped when most of the season they were complaining they couldn't exit their defensive zone.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I don't get his dislike of Wiercioch. He can't honestly believe "when he was out of the lineup the other guys, we felt, gave us a better chance to win."

Wiercioch definitely has his faults defensively, but you can't tell me he couldn't have helped when most of the season they were complaining they couldn't exit their defensive zone.

Wiercioch is an offensive dman that struggles defensively.

Phillips is a defensive dman that struggles defensively.

Ill never understand how Phillips played over Wiercioch. If you have two players that suck defensively, play the one thats better offensively. Just gonna assume age > ability in the eyes of Maclean.

WhiteLight*

Mac is so full of BS. Either that or he's blind and deaf.

Very frustrating.

Same thing is going to happen this year. Same thing happened and will happen with regards to Neil and Greening. He's completely biased

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just saw this on Twitter (waiting on official verification):

Makes sense. They all need to pass waivers to be sent down. I doubt they will be claimed. Other teams are waiving players we've heard of too.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Its not Macs fault that Phillips will be here for 2 more years.

I would suggest Mac had a vote and with his love for veteran players you can bet he voted to keep Phillips.

Mac has a double standard when it comes to players, veterans operate under one set of rules and the young players always have to take the next step even if they are better than the veterans.

I give Mac credit for being upfront and honest, he has clearly said in the past he would always take the player that has been there and done it before opting for the unknown.

However in this age of the youth driven NHL that approach is self-defeating IMO.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Gryba has not looked good these first games. Doing a lot of reacting as opposed to initiating. He looks a tad slow when he does that. I'm really hopeful Claesson gets his 9 game shot. He has looked great.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Gryba has not looked good these first games. Doing a lot of reacting as opposed to initiating. He looks a tad slow when he does that. I'm really hopeful Claesson gets his 9 game shot. He has looked great.

The 9 game mark is completely irrelevant for a player like Claesson, his contract has already kicked in. The only player '9 game' relates to is Lazar since he's a junior aged player.

I've bee seeing a lot of this so I just wanted others to be aware.

Karlsson2Turris*

So Grant on waivers. A team like Edmonton could use him, no?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
To fill up water bottles? Maybe, but surely not as a hockey player

We're talking about the Edmonton Oilers, a team that is so desperate for competent bottom six players that they needed to go out and sign Boyd Gordon and Benoit Pouliot to big money deals. Then again, if they realized they could just get those kinds of players off the waiver wire, they might not be drafting top 5 year after year after year. Or you know, actually develop a player once in a while.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To fill up water bottles? Maybe, but surely not as a hockey player

I haven't been following Edmonton's offseason, who do they have at center now? Last year it was RNH, Gordon, Gagner, and Arcobello/Acton. With Gagner gone, they need Draisaitl to make the squad or they're in for another long short season imo.

They could use some defensively reliable players, not sure Grant is a long term option but he'd probably help out.

WhiteLight*

We're talking about the Edmonton Oilers, a team that is so desperate for competent bottom six players that they needed to go out and sign Boyd Gordon and Benoit Pouliot to big money deals. Then again, if they realized they could just get those kinds of players off the waiver wire, they might not be drafting top 5 year after year after year. Or you know, actually develop a player once in a while.

I haven't been following Edmonton's offseason, who do they have at center now? Last year it was RNH, Gordon, Gagner, and Arcobello/Acton. With Gagner gone, they need Draisaitl to make the squad or they're in for another long short season imo.

They could use some defensively reliable players, not sure Grant is a long term option but he'd probably help out.

Say what you want FQL, but Gordon is better than Grant by a long shot.

RNH, Arcobello, Lander, Drasaitl and Gordon. not the best centre depth in the league, but no room for Grant. Lander and Arcobello are 3x the players Grant is.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would suggest Mac had a vote and with his love for veteran players you can bet he voted to keep Phillips.

Mac has a double standard when it comes to players, veterans operate under one set of rules and the young players always have to take the next step even if they are better than the veterans.

I give Mac credit for being upfront and honest, he has clearly said in the past he would always take the player that has been there and done it before opting for the unknown.

However in this age of the youth driven NHL that approach is self-defeating IMO.

Depends on the youth in question. If you're an Edmonton and your youth has top 5 draft pick pedigree, then you're laughing. If you're a team like Ottawa that barely picks in the top 15, you have to throw a bucketload of change down the local wishing well and hope the kids develop well enough to have a chance at surviving the NHL, let alone become decent full-time NHLers sometime down the road.

Most coaches tend to lean on the vets. After all, you know what you're getting with the vets, and as a coach you can make some sort of gameplan. Let's face it, in hockey usually the first one fired is the coach, so it's not like they're going to play kids a lot if it means losing games that might be winnable.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Alex Grant would make sense

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Grant is going to develop into an excellent 4th line forward one day.

He's a mini Zack Smith. Big strong skating centerman that is responsible defensively, not terrible offensively and can win battles all over the ice with his size.

I'd put out a claim for him if my team was lacking a big defensively responsible 4th line forward.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Say what you want FQL, but Gordon is better than Grant by a long shot.

RNH, Arcobello, Lander, Drasaitl and Gordon. not the best centre depth in the league, but no room for Grant. Lander and Arcobello are 3x the players Grant is.

I guess it comes down to role. Are Arcobello Lander and Draisaitl guys you want to play limited mins in a defensive/energy role? If they need Gordon in a top 9 role, they'd probably be better off with Grant in the lineup and Draisaitl getting big mins in the minor league. Same goes with Lander, though I'm not sure they'll get more development out of Arcobello.

It's like DaCosta vs Grant. DaCosta was a far better player, but Grant was getting more opportunity because he fit the needed role better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad