Training Camp Thread (UPD:9/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I haven't seen enough out of Lazar to keep him & not send him back especially with all the one way contracts & two young guys Stone & Hoffman who deserve a shot first. Throughout this preseason he has been good defensively & okay offensively but certainly hasn't dominated or made spectacular plays. He is going to be IMO a very good two way player with offensive potential but he is 19 yrs old & still has some learning to do. I will even predict that next season he starts the yr in Bingo before being called up at some point in the yr, probably half way through the season. Stone played in Bingo & IMO he had a much better junior career & WJC.

I agree with your assessment of Lazar.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
When he made the quote the Sens had not even paired down their roster for the first time yet. If Mac spends 10 mins giving individual feedback with each of the 57 players invited to camp per day that would work out to 9.5 hours. That is on top of practices, games, and split squad games.

I would expect more feedback to come once the roster is cut down to a reasonable size. And even then, you always have to be careful not to get too much into a player's head. At the initial stages coach wanted to see what Lazar is rather than seeing Lazar acting like what he believes the coach wants him to be (if this makes sense).

There is more than one coach at camp, 3 assistants plus the Bingo staff, so it does not all fall on Maclean.

Yes, I expect more feedback after the roster is cut down, plus an exit interview and feedback when players are sent back to junior or Bingo.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
It was Lazar who said last season that he called the Sens regularly to ask for feedback and what he could work on.

He also said no one ever got back to him once. That's why I'm still somewhat disturbed by what seems to be a lack of communication between management and Lazar in specific.

If he's like the goody two shoes overachiever kid from school, then good on him. Management should be matching his initiative and drive to improve and develope his game.

Its a no lose situation basically, he gets his homework and they get a better player.

And like I just read, MacLean is not the only guy capable of speaking and working with Lazar.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Oh good grief. One tiny sound bite from Lazar saying the coach hasn't talked with him one on one yet, only part way through the camp, and people are going full on *******.

Relax. We are half way through camp, and the rosters are just getting down to a manageable level. At this stage it is about finding out who can play, not sitting down and micromanaging every player.

I swear, I read these boards sometimes and fully get why players are taught to only speak to the media in clichés that have absolutely no meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad