Trades, Rumours + Expansion Theories: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Can you name a player like JVR in recent transactions who got you a 1st?

Why would the Leafs retain to start with?

Booby Ryan
Milan Lucic (different skillset)

Leafs reatain because this season we don't need the salary and it would A: increase his value and B: open up a lot more teams in the bidding

Seems the value of JVR varies quite a bit here. Is he worth a Top $ defenseman? 1st, plus? 2nd + prospect?

Be interesting to see what the Leafs will receive when he is finally moved.

Yes, it will be interesting. I see a lot of posts about getting Dumba/Brodin for JVR.

If its a pre-Expansion Draft trade, I would imagine that there'd be a lot of teams interested in Dumba/Brodin. Based on the high level of interest in young, top 4 D, I'd guess it would take more than a one-year rental. I'd guess it would take a significant add on in addition to JVR on to make it happen.

If LVGK land either Dumba or Brodin in the ED, I'd guess they will keep him and they would deal one of their lesser D-men assets.

These are just my best guesses.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes, why do the Wild do it?

this is important too. The wild have 2 real good dmen they will have to expose, trading one of them doesn't help their ED situation because the leftover one then goes to vegas. So they lose 2 top 4 dmen and gain in the above case 1st & bracco where as do nothing they get to keep a top 4 dman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
this is important too. The wild have 2 real good dmen they will have to expose, trading one of them doesn't help their ED situation because the leftover one then goes to vegas. So they lose 2 top 4 dmen and gain in the above case 1st & bracco where as do nothing they get to keep a top 4 dman

The only logical option for them is to trade 2 of them for proper value and use the proceeds to find a new D option.

To settle on one of you D going for nothing is not very smart. You do anything to stash or acquire that D.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Oshie is the better deal.

50-60pt player
5 years younger
Plays 200ft game
Savings 1m per year or same.

JVR Proceeds 1st++ kept in system for use to get a D.

Vs.

34-35 Yr old
No NHL stat line for 4 yrs
Looked slow last time I watched him
Lead his international team off the ice during our Anthem.
You have to pay to get him and you are saying paying a 1st for a rental is acceptable.

In my world of reasoning.. Kovy now actually makes 0 sense and actually probably hurts the team considering the picks it will take to get him here.

In reality after he stole that signing bonus, NJ should just block him.

I forgot all about that ... Disgusting, I don't want him anywhere NEAR our team and especially our young players.

He's only coming back to the NHL because his team in the KHL might not be able to pay him.

Mercenaries like him aren't gonna go through a wall to win come playoff time.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Wild are in a situation where they'll probably just suck it up and lose one d-man in expansion rather than 2 altogether

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Trade the one with the most value that you're likely to lose, sign a replacement --- for example Stone or Alzner (known to Boudreau) or whatever. So even though they will lose one for nothing in return, which is what the expansion draft is, they at least get some value out of the other. It's very possible that they go this route. Not necessarily for the package posted earlier though.

I do agree they are in a pretty tough spot. What I think they will do is dangle Nino to Las Vegas instead, since they are apparently shopping him, and then protecting 4 defenders. Scandella gets traded but the Wild keep their top 4 intact.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Wild are in a situation where they'll probably just suck it up and lose one d-man in expansion rather than 2 altogether

It makes no sense. Trading 2x D for a haul of picks allows them to use said picks to get another T4D back.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It makes no sense. Trading 2x D for a haul of picks allows them to use said picks to get another T4D back.

Go argue with it on the main boards then, because that's what the general consensus is

It's easy to sell 2 defensemen, but buying one back is risky with many teams looking for a defensive upgrade. You essentially have to make 3 big trades ... Which is a pretty risky move

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Trade the one with the most value that you're likely to lose, sign a replacement --- for example Stone or Alzner or whatever.

It's very possible that they go this route. Not necessarily for the package posted earlier though.

But I do agree they are in a pretty tough spot.

Or trade both away to teams for fair market value and then put a package together to using some of what you get back to get a D off of Vegas after the draft.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Go argue with it on the main boards then, because that's what the general consensus is

This is an open board for discussing trades? A consensus here is meaningless and the sharing of ouside the box ideas opens up new meaningful debate.

I didn't realize that we had to conform to the tyranny of the majority here.

I believe we may be the ones trading with Minny for a D and that they will indeed trade two D and trade for one back after.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I highly doubt you'll see the Wild make that many trades and shake up their blue line

In theory it can work but in reality it isn't as easy as you suggest.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Also, even if we were to sign Kovy, we'd still have a ton of cap space left over and assets that we can use to bring in a top-4 guy. Bringing in Kovy won't hinder that, especially if we move JVR for him.

or, you know KEEP JVR and not needlessly weaken the top 6 and roll with

Kovalchuk Matthews Nylander

JVR Bozak Marner

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I highly doubt you'll see the Wild make that many trades and shake up their blue line

In theory it can work but in reality it isn't as easy as you suggest.
they could trade one of there D for pick (s) and a waiver exempt D man, someone like Dermont :sarcasm:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Both were good trades for their opponents (Boston and Anaheim), but the trades didn't involve a top 4 defender. I wonder if Ottawa or LA would do those trades again?

For the record I don't think JVR would return a D man straight up.

But the market value for a borderline first line winger is pretty much a 1st + good prospect/young player.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
they could trade one of there D for pick (s) and a waiver exempt D man, someone like Dermont :sarcasm:

See this is exactly the kind of outside the box thinking that makes sense. No team will lay back helpless as a highly valuable player is plucked for nothing.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Both were good trades for their opponents (Boston and Anaheim), but the trades didn't involve a top 4 defender. I wonder if Ottawa or LA would do those trades again?

A JVR trade likely doesn't involve a top 4D either. Trade JVR for picks and prospects then go to rebuilding teams for their top4 D with the futures with ++ if needed, they are most likely to be dealing a top 4 d anyway and will take futures. They wont want JVR though obviously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad