Trades, Rumours + Expansion Theories: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Trading JVR for a d-man and replacing him with Kovachuk would be a decent move if you ask me.. I could easily see him putting up 50-60 points when he returns

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The most hilarious thing I saw today was two links side by side on TSN.

"Report: Leafs have interest in Kovalchuk" and "Dreger: Leafs have no interest in Kovalchuk"

All bases covered!

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The last offer sheet was Calgary's offer sheet on Ryan O'Rielly in 2013.

That was when Jay Feaster was GM. Since the offer was made, the Flames have made 3 deals with them. The first of the deals was 3 months after the offer sheet was made.

So the whole burning bridges mantra is a load of crap.

The last one was Shea Weber, no? Besides the time frame, I believe Philly and Nashville have done a decent amount of business together too.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Trading JVR for a d-man and replacing him with Kovachuk would be a decent move if you ask me.. I could easily see him putting up 50-60 points when he returns

Let's go get Jagr while we're at it! :sarcasm:

No, FFS, NO! :shakehead

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
We should move all in on Kovalchuk. Vet right handed winger with a slapshot that plays from the point on the PP. If he's willing to sign a 2-3 year contract we should be all over it. Maximize our ELC contracts.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Kovalchuk would be a huge upgrade on left wing, easily our best left winger. Also allows you to trade someone like JVR for a defender and not lose his offensive production. All provided the contract is reasonable.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We should move all in on Kovalchuk. Vet right handed winger with a slapshot that plays from the point on the PP. If he's willing to sign a 2-3 year contract we should be all over it. Maximize our ELC contracts.

Abandoned his team in NJ, basically stole the bonus money, instructed his team to skate off the ice during our anthem.

Quality guy, really want all that around my team, ugh..

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Abandoned his team in NJ, basically stole the bonus money, instructed his team to skate off the ice during our anthem.

I don't want him, but he did NJ a favour by bolting.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

He did the Devils a favour by bolting. I don't care for the anthem stuff at all but teams can and will win with POS. Like I said, if he's willing to sign for 2-3 years you have to be all over that. Maximize the Matthews/Nylander/Marner ELCs

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
If we moved out kessel because babcock didnt want to coach him, why the hell would we go after kovalchuk. I think management has made it abundantly clear that they're not going to tolerate players with entitlement issues. Not a player I'd want to have around our young players still learning the ropes

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Even if that the case, I have a hard time getting behind this character. He is not someone I would describe as a role model.

This, I just plainly do not want him on the team I cheer for. I hope MTL trades Gallagher and the rest of their character guys for him.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Let's go get Jagr while we're at it! :sarcasm:

No, FFS, NO! :shakehead

The difference is one is 45 the other is 34

What do you suppose the leafs do then to upgrade there D and get a productive winger? Because you're not getting any decent d-man without giving something up. And when you give that something up, how do you fill the hole? Another rookie?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The difference is one is 45 the other is 34

What do you suppose the leafs do then to upgrade there D and get a productive winger? Because you're not getting any decent d-man without giving something up. And when you give that something up, how do you fill the hole? Another rookie?

You know you have to trade for Kovalchuk, right? He's not just a UFA...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For the record, if Jagr was willing to sign here, I would take him in a heartbeat.

Imagining him with either Matthews/Nylander or Bozak/Marner is pretty awesome

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If we moved out kessel because babcock didnt want to coach him, why the hell would we go after kovalchuk. I think management has made it abundantly clear that they're not going to tolerate players with entitlement issues. Not a player I'd want to have around our young players still learning the ropes

How does Kovalchuk have entitlement issues?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He did the Devils a favour by bolting. I don't care for the anthem stuff at all but teams can and will win with POS. Like I said, if he's willing to sign for 2-3 years you have to be all over that. Maximize the Matthews/Nylander/Marner ELCs

Then get a defenseman
A team that can score but can't defend a lead to save itself should not be giving up assets for another winger

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Wasn't his injury a 5-6 month one? He should be back by November I would think

Back by November but doesn't mean he'll be anywhere near ready for another shot in the NHL. He suffered a very debilitating injury that will mess with his skating, he would need a very long conditioning stint before being called up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad