Trades, Rumours + Expansion Theories: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Can you name a player like JVR in recent transactions who got you a 1st?

Why would the Leafs retain to start with?

Booby Ryan
Milan Lucic (different skillset)

Leafs reatain because this season we don't need the salary and it would A: increase his value and B: open up a lot more teams in the bidding

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Can you name a player like JVR in recent transactions who got you a 1st?

Why would the Leafs retain to start with?

I think you lack math skills when it comes to what you are proposing and rather than entertain the discussion, prefer that you think about and study the math more closely. The flawed logic will surely become self evident and the process by which you came to the conclusions, helped you to learn.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Booby Ryan
Milan Lucic (different skillset)

Leafs reatain because this season we don't need the salary and it would A: increase his value and B: open up a lot more teams in the bidding

Wasn't Lucic a FA when he signed with the Oilers?
Bobby Ryan ( not Booby, although funny) was traded for Silverberg. Something the Sens are now regretting

Bobby was traded when he was 24. Not a pending UFA

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wasn't Lucic a FA when he signed with the Oilers?
Bobby Ryan ( not Booby, although funny) was traded for Silverberg. Something the Sens are now regretting

Bobby was traded when he was 24. Not a pending UFA

haha wow bobby my bad. Lucic was traded to LA before becoming UFA. Im sure there was also a 1st involved in the ryan trade, In any case you are right not best comparable. Still the only way a 1st doesn't come back with JVR is if the prospect is that much more significant.

I think the leafs would be crazy not to retain on JVR $2.25 for 1 year a year where we need no major salary cap spending

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
Why the heck would we spend freaking assets on a 34 year old? Especially JVR the guy that could net you a damn D. Why? That's the least logical move we could make.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. Our team is already so young. It's literally littered with kids. Inserting a player like Kovalchuk into our team to replace one of the "vets" in JVR would not be a lateral move for us, it would make us a better team. I watched quite a few CSKA games last year. Kovy's still got it. Maybe not as fast as before, but that shot is still very much lethal.

Bring him in and slot him with Matthews and Nylander and watch them go. Also, he'd be our sure-fire solution for a PP QB and that one-time shot we've so dearly been lacking. We've got cap space to play with and a plethora of young players who could learn from Kovy.

Lou traded for him once. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't think NJ holds a lot of value in Kovy's rights ... So if the Leafs move JVR for a d-man or a package of assets (1st and a good prospect) the net value of the assets gained from moving JVR and trading for Kovy could still be very positive for the Leafs.

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
Also, even if we were to sign Kovy, we'd still have a ton of cap space left over and assets that we can use to bring in a top-4 guy. Bringing in Kovy won't hinder that, especially if we move JVR for him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm going to respectfully disagree here. Our team is already so young. It's literally littered with kids. Inserting a player like Kovalchuk into our team to replace one of the "vets" in JVR would not be a lateral move for us, it would make us a better team. I watched quite a few CSKA games last year. Kovy's still got it. Maybe not as fast as before, but that shot is still very much lethal.

Bring him in and slot him with Matthews and Nylander and watch them go. Also, he'd be our sure-fire solution for a PP QB and that one-time shot we've so dearly been lacking. We've got cap space to play with and a plethora of young players who could learn from Kovy.

Lou traded for him once. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again.

But you would trade JVR for Kovy? I mean I may give NJ a 3rd rounder for the right to sign him but screw that giving JVR. The buyers remorse after pulling that should have Lou jumping off the MLSE building. Thank goodness I know there is 0% chance JVR for rights to Kovy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Also, even if we were to sign Kovy, we'd still have a ton of cap space left over and assets that we can use to bring in a top-4 guy. Bringing in Kovy won't hinder that, especially if we move JVR for him.

No thanks, rather overpay and go long on Oshie with assets back than give JVR for an old man who will want 6m a year.

Did you see how slow Kovy looks now?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
But you would trade JVR for Kovy? I mean I may give NJ a 3rd rounder for the right to sign him but screw that giving JVR. The buyers remorse after pulling that should have Lou jumping off the MLSE building. Thank goodness I know there is 0% chance JVR for rights to Kovy.

There are plenty of teams will give 3rd rounder for Kovy if you could have had him that easily

A team like Washington may even include a prospect to add to firepower they already have. NY would love to get hold of him for their even 1st. You know how many jerseys he's going to sell? Habs will love to get hold of Kovy for their 2nd and maybe a prospect

NJ will seat back and take offers. 3rd rounder doesn't get you Kovy especially in a weak FA season

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto

The ideal situation would be to trade other lesser assets for the rights to Kovy. I would be comfortable giving up a 2nd + a lesser prospect (Bracco, Timashov, etc.). And then look at trading JVR for a top-4 defenseman.

But I would lose no sleep if it was a straight Kovy-for-JVR swap.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There are plenty of teams will give 3rd rounder for Kovy if you could have had him that easily

A team like Washington may even include a prospect to add to firepower they already have. NY would love to get hold of him for their even 1st. You know how many jerseys he's going to sell? Habs will love to get hold of Kovy for their 2nd and maybe a prospect

NJ will seat back and take offers. 3rd rounder doesn't get you Kovy especially in a weak FA season

Isn't there a limited market? I thought it was said he would only go to a few Teams?

** I believe Jersey sales go to the League and are divided, each Team doesn't keep their own sales.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

No thanks, rather have a meaningful player like Oshie than a rental less the assets we could get from JVR. The 1st from JVR + 6m for Kovy x2 =12m vs JVR 4m obligation.

Bad math, couldn't see that to shareholders or anyone with a brain.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The ideal situation would be to trade other lesser assets for the rights to Kovy. I would be comfortable giving up a 2nd + a lesser prospect (Bracco, Timashov, etc.). And then look at trading JVR for a top-4 defenseman.

But I would lose no sleep if it was a straight Kovy-for-JVR swap.

Seems the value of JVR varies quite a bit here. Is he worth a Top $ defenseman? 1st, plus? 2nd + prospect?

Be interesting to see what the Leafs will receive when he is finally moved.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Isn't there a limited market? I thought it was said he would only go to a few Teams?

** I believe Jersey sales go to the League and are divided, each Team doesn't keep their own sales.

He'll go to a big market. He knows his position. He has to get to NHL first, again. Then he can establish his position. He'll have to take one year contract and prove his worth

He wouldn't go to NY? Washington, Florida, Tempa or Montreal? you bet he will. He won't go to Carolina, Phoenix, NJ or Winnipeg. Cities that are on the bubble and his wife wont' get to shop much in

He's a big show player. He would die to go to New York. New York is salivating. They need scoring badly

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
No thanks, rather overpay and go long on Oshie with assets back than give JVR for an old man who will want 6m a year.

Did you see how slow Kovy looks now?

Gonna have to disagree again. You'd have to severely overpay for Oshie. At least 5 years at 5 per. No way I'd want to handcuff our organization like that. Especially with the big 3 looking for contracts in a couple years. Plus, last I heard Oshie and the Caps were "very close" to getting a deal done to keep him.

I think you underestimate him. The guy just put up 78 points in the second best league in the world. He's still got lots left in the tank, hence all the interest from NHL clubs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He'll go to a big market. He knows his position. He has to get to NHL first, again. Then he can establish his position. He'll have to take one year contract and prove his worth

He wouldn't go to NY? Washington, Florida, Tempa or Montreal? you bet he will. He won't go to Carolina, Phoenix, NJ or Winnipeg. Cities that are on the bubble and his wife wont' get to shop much in

He's a big show player. He would die to go to New York. New York is salivating. They need scoring badly

Yes, I imagine most big markets would interest him. Would all the big markets be interested in him? (He did go to NJ once, I'm sure he'd go back).

Can't see anyway he signs a one year contract.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Gonna have to disagree again. You'd have to severely overpay for Oshie. At least 5 years at 5 per. No way I'd want to handcuff our organization like that. Especially with the big 3 looking for contracts in a couple years. Plus, last I heard Oshie and the Caps were "very close" to getting a deal done to keep him.

I think you underestimate him. The guy just put up 78 points in the second best league in the world. He's still got lots left in the tank, hence all the interest from NHL clubs.

That would be a steal that I hope the Leafs could pull off. Zero interest in Kovalchuk for me if they could sign Oshie at that price.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Yes, I imagine most big markets would interest him. Would all the big markets be interested in him? (He did go to NJ once, I'm sure he'd go back)

Last time was different. He got a 15 year contract. There's a bitter taste their in my opinion but that's just my opinion

Look at the FA market, there's nobody. Montreal and MV needs to save his job. They need scoring and their window to compete with Price is coming very near. They have to act. I am surprised they haven't thrown their kidneys' at NJ yet

If picks gets you Kovy, I can assure that traded would have done by now. NJ waiting for the best deal possible. They are playing the market as we speak

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Last time was different. He got a 15 year contract. There's a bitter taste their in my opinion but that's just my opinion

Look at the FA market, there's nobody. Montreal and MV needs to save his job. They need scoring and their window to compete with Price is coming very near. They have to act. I am surprised they haven't thrown their kidneys' at NJ yet

If picks gets you Kovy, I can assure that traded would have done by now. NJ waiting for the best deal possible. They are playing the market as we speak

NJ really has no reason not to wait for the best deal possible, no rush.

IMO, for these type of scenarios for every thing we believe we know there are 10 things we don't.

It will be interesting to see how it finally plays out.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Oshie is the better deal.

50-60pt player
5 years younger
Plays 200ft game
Savings 1m per year or same.

JVR Proceeds 1st++ kept in system for use to get a D.

Vs.

34-35 Yr old
No NHL stat line for 4 yrs
Looked slow last time I watched him
Lead his international team off the ice during our Anthem.
You have to pay to get him and you are saying paying a 1st for a rental is acceptable.

In my world of reasoning.. Kovy now actually makes 0 sense and actually probably hurts the team considering the picks it will take to get him here.

In reality after he stole that signing bonus, NJ should just block him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In fairness you usually don't see trades during the playoffs .. They're usually announced afterwards.

We're in for a hell of a month once the SCF are over.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
NJ really has no reason not to wait for the best deal possible, no rush.

IMO, for these type of scenarios for every thing we believe we know there are 10 things we don't.

It will be interesting to see how it finally plays out.

They lost like 20m in signing bonus to this guy. He is a poor character guy. Fled the league with bonus money and walked his team out of the rink during our anthem.

**** Kovy.

Actually, knowing Babcock watched him march his team off probably seals the deal that he won't be here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In fairness you usually don't see trades during the playoffs .. They're usually announced afterwards.

We're in for a hell of a month once the SCF are over.

I was hoping the Pens would win in 4 to get it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad