Trades, Rumours + Expansion Theories: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd give Boyle a little more money over a 2 year deal if that helps him sign. Even a year from now, if he has to be moved, the Leafs can retain some money to boost his trade value.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
3 years @ 2 mill per. I'd be okay with that if he's willing to sign it. We'd probably just trade him after year 1 or 2 depending on Gauthier. 2 mill on one or two years for Boyle would be easy to move and likely could demand a decent asset.

I agree. Not crazy about the 3rd year, but he'd probably be easy to peddle to a contender at tdl.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
At this point, if the Leafs could trade assets like Fehr and Soshnikov to Vegas in exchange for them taking Marincin, I would be happy. The rest can likely wait for a few weeks.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
With the Goat's injury and waiver-exempt status for one more season, IMO it makes sense to leave him in the AHL to recover and get his game back. He won't stagnate down there by any means. Heck even the following season, if the Leafs were to keep Boyle for a couple of years, having Goat as a 13th forward in the press box wouldn't be bad either.

First, Boyle's game had a lot to be desired on ice.

Second, I would wait to sign Boyle, I can't for the life of me imagine wasting a protection spot for him

Wait and see, no need to rush I say

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
At this point, if the Leafs could trade assets like Fehr and Soshnikov to Vegas in exchange for them taking Marincin, I would be happy. The rest can likely wait for a few weeks.

Personally don't really consider them assets, I am not all that infatuated with Soshnikov like some are, I'd be happy to lose Fehr and Marincin. No need for them imo.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I agree. Not crazy about the 3rd year, but he'd probably be easy to peddle to a contender at tdl.

I do not think the extra year would matter too much. He'd be 35 instead of 34. He's a big body, but he has been pretty durable throughout his career.

Missed 7 games this year.
6 games last year.
10 games in 2012-2013.

Played 82 games all other seasons since 2009-2010 when I think he was a healthy scratch for 11 games in his first year in NYR; not injured.

Should also add that he's played like 106 playoff games in his career too. You might think it's a lot of wear and tear for his body, but at the rate he's going, he could probably go until he's 40. 35 would be a piece of cake.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think the Goat can become another Boyle. Maybe even better defensively.

With the Goat's injury and waiver-exempt status for one more season, IMO it makes sense to leave him in the AHL to recover and get his game back. He won't stagnate down there by any means. Heck even the following season, if the Leafs were to keep Boyle for a couple of years, having Goat as a 13th forward in the press box wouldn't be bad either.

It's really a shame the Goat got injured, I saw him as a real threat to win the 4th line centre position next season, barring that I was hoping he could ride shotgun on Boyles wing to learn from the vet. Sadly neither option is available due to his injury, at least not for the majority of the season.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Timing seems suspect. Wouldn't that affect their protection plans?

yep seems stupid to sign an extra player to protect. Unless they have a deal in place to move out JVR/Bozak/Komarov ie a protected player they wouldn't signhim before the draft

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Personally don't really consider them assets, I am not all that infatuated with Soshnikov like some are, I'd be happy to lose Fehr and Marincin. No need for them imo.

The Leafs do not really need them, which is why it would be easy to expend them for little in return besides peace of mind, but they would have some good value for Vegas. Getting Fehr, Marincin and Soshnikov over one of Leipsic/Rychel or Martin would make a lot more sense for them to fill out depth and their roster. Meanwhile for us, we lose three guys we can easily replace internally in exchange for two guys I am sure the Leafs would like to keep, or in the case of Leipsic, move for futures. If we trade JvR and Bozak, we could easily make it an internal competition between all of our youth.

???-Matthews-Marner
???-Nylander-Kapanen
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Boyle-???
???

???'s are filled by Rychel, Leivo, Leipsic and Hyman (only caveat being Hyman is in the top 12 next year). So one of them would be in the 13th forward spot unfortunately, but they'll have every opportunity to overthrow someone (possibly even Komarov). If the Leafs decide someone like Thornton would be a good addition, they could technically still make it work, but one of Leipsic/Leivo/Rychel would be traded (unless only 7D, which is also a possibility I guess, but unlikely) and another would have to take a 13th forward spot.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
yep seems stupid to sign an extra player to protect. Unless they have a deal in place to move out JVR/Bozak/Komarov ie a protected player they wouldn't signhim before the draft

Even if they found a trade, it still would be foolish. Would make more sense to protect the last young forward we'd have to expose and wait. If he's not going to sign in Vegas we have nothing to worry about before the expansion draft with him.

It could just be a deal in principle as well. They have in the pre-FA period where you can talk to FA's but can't sign them (or even make preemptive deals, not that anyone follows that rule) until July 1st. I doubt it would be leaked so nothing is certain, but you never know. Same thing could easily happen here (make a preemptive deal but hold off on officially signing until after expansion like it were July 1st), but it would be totally legit.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

there's one that's making the rounds now: An offer sheet for colton parayko.

On the surface, hey why not? He's a defenceman. Leafs need defencemen. He's a right-handed shot. The leafs need right-handed d-men. He' 24. That seems about right.

And there's always this weird groundswell around offer sheets that gets everyone excited because, as the world seems to think, there aren't enough offer sheets being offered to restricted free agents in the nhl.

There are a few reasons for that. firstly, they rarely work. The blues would simply match the offer, meaning the leafs will have done the blues work for them -- i.e. Negotiating -- and gotten nothing for it. Actually less than nothing because they'll have missed valuable negotiating time with other free agents.

Secondly, as they say, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. You don't think the blues would turn around in a year and offer sheet william nylander? Or in two years auston matthews or mitch marner?

in fact, even if the leafs don't open up that pandora's box on their own, they will need to be more wary of coming offer sheets. if you're an eastern conference rival, you should be thinking about making life difficult for lou lamoriello and company, via strategic offer sheeting. It would be very bad for the rest of the division if the leafs got "bargain" or "home-town discounts" on those three players because it would leave them so much more cap space wiggle room.

Nylander ought to be the first target. If a team offer sheets him next year, it could set a bar very high for marner and matthews salaries going forward. Offer sheets on those two in 2019 could handcuff the leafs in the future.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So any recent news on Parayko/Faulk/Dumba/Trouba?

Dumba could be an expansion casualty.

Parayko considered a core player by Armstrong, some Toronto media suggested offering him.

Haven't heard anything about Faulk

Trouba, mostly quiet except around exit interviews where it didn't seem like a 100% slam dunk he wanted to stay.

Nothing beyond some media speculation has linked them to Toronto.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

Pretty dumb reasons there. We shouldn't do it to them because they could do it to us, later? I don't think teams do or don't do offer sheets because of the likelihood of vengeance...

They rarely work is pretty much all that needs to be said imo.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the end sentence was dumb "If I were his agent I'd advise waiting." yah okay.
then he could have a crappy 2nd year, or be injury riddled and lose out on cashing back.

which is why most people don't "wait"

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
the end sentence was dumb "If I were his agent I'd advise waiting." yah okay.
then he could have a crappy 2nd year, or be injury riddled and lose out on cashing back.

which is why most people don't "wait"

Guaranteed money on the table is key for all the reasons you mentioned.

The only case I could see a guy not going for a long term is if it they didn't like the figures being offered. They know they had an injury riddled or down year and wanted take 1-2 years to invest in themselves to get a bigger deal later.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I'd give Boyle a little more money over a 2 year deal if that helps him sign. Even a year from now, if he has to be moved, the Leafs can retain some money to boost his trade value.

Agreed. Just pay the man. With a lot of the top end teams having strong top 6/top 9 now, it seems like there is a lot of value (and a big advantage) in having a 4th line that can drive play and give you 10-12 safe minutes a night.

Doesn't hurt that he wins draws and can throw the body around too, although his possession #s alone would warrant an extension. My ideal scenario would be 1 more Marlies year for GOAT and then bring him up on the wing the year after and have him transition into a utility PKer/4C when Boyle leaves.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Pretty dumb reasons there. We shouldn't do it to them because they could do it to us, later? I don't think teams do or don't do offer sheets because of the likelihood of vengeance...

Yeah. The guy writes a whole article as a response to Tyler Dellow's idea, without actually reading it in the first place. First, if we did as he wanted, they wouldn't realistically be able to match. Second, they couldn't just turn around and do the same because we actually have the flexibility that they lack.

Kind of shoddy journalism.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah. The guy writes a whole article as a response to Tyler Dellow's idea, without actually reading it in the first place. First, if we did as he wanted, they wouldn't realistically be able to match. Second, they couldn't just turn around and do the same because we actually have the flexibility that they lack.

Kind of shoddy journalism.

I don't think he got beyond the paywall :laugh:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

The last offer sheet was Calgary's offer sheet on Ryan O'Rielly in 2013.

That was when Jay Feaster was GM. Since the offer was made, the Flames have made 3 deals with them. The first of the deals was 3 months after the offer sheet was made.

So the whole burning bridges mantra is a load of crap.

HitmanX2

Nov 6, 2015
Would people consider Peter Budaj for the backup role. Good pro, cheap or at least reasonable. Played quite well when quick went down. I realize LA had a better defense but I assume we're upgrading. could probably get 20-25 solid starts out of him. Should be good.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The last offer sheet was Calgary's offer sheet on Ryan O'Rielly in 2013.

That was when Jay Feaster was GM. Since the offer was made, the Flames have made 3 deals with them. The first of the deals was 3 months after the offer sheet was made.

So the whole burning bridges mantra is a load of crap.

I dont think that proves anything. Brian Burke challenged Kevin Lowe to a fist fight over the Penner offersheet. It really depends on the GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00