Trades, Rumours, Expansion and Free Agency? Interview Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
13.25 wow that is a massive amount of money. I guess the rumors of 14 million weren't far off.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Assuming Nylander is signed this summer, I doubt that is the case. His comparable players for current production would put him somewhere in the 6 million range. Marner is a different case as we can sign him next summer.

Nylander doesn't have to sign this year he can bank on himself having a better year next year. Marner and Nylander will get matching contracts next summer I bet. for what? I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if its $7M over 8

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That Condon deal Ottawa gave him if giving me Hammond flashbacks. Hammond came in when Ottawa needed a goalie 2 years ago. Dragged them to the playoffs with the .941 sv% , got his 3 year contract and proceeded to **** the bed again. Anderson goes on leave with the stuff his wife had going on, the acquire Condon, he plays respectable hockey in the meantime helping getting them into the playoffs. They give him a 3 year contract for almost twice what they gave Hammond 2 years ago. Now Condon's AHL numbers are much better than Hammonds which should have been a sign that there was nothing there back 2 years ago whereas there might be with Condon. But that's a lot of money for your backup when a similar move bit them in the ass 2 years ago.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Assuming Nylander is signed this summer, I doubt that is the case. His comparable players for current production would put him somewhere in the 6 million range. Marner is a different case as we can sign him next summer.

Nylander aint signing nothing now. No long term deals he is young and will bank on himself. Look at this new NHL, a whole set of new problems because 1 player.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
13.25 wow that is a massive amount of money. I guess the rumors of 14 million weren't far off.

All this means is none of the kids are going to settle for a JVR type deal. Forget about signing Nylander long term, he would be a fool with the McDavid contract. He just has to show up with a big season near 80pts and bam paydirt. 8-10m

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Rumours of Marleau and Duchene now linked to leafs. What about Barrie? Would you take a risk in trading for Duchene or Barrie? Feel Duchene been treated horribly by Avs management. Time to let him go and think he could benefit from new atmosphere. Also been rumored that Preds & Pens. I can not see how pens could afford him unless Avs take some of his salary. Preds seem to be best fit as they lost Neal. Though rather him come to leafs would benefit from Marner. Always liked Duchene but he been stuck in Colorado's nightmare mistakes of management. No wonder Roy left as coach!

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Nylander's out of his mind if he signs a 6M deal now
If it's anything under 7M I'm going to be shocked

That kid was close to a ppg in the last third of the season
He's going to wait and get paid

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Rumours of Marleau and Duchene now linked to leafs. Would you take a risk in trading for Duchene? Feel Duchene been treated horribly by Avs management. Time to let him go and think he could benefit from new atmosphere. Also been rumored that Preds & Pens. I can not see how pens could afford him unless Avs take some of his salary. Preds seem to be best fit as they lost Neal. Though rather him come to leafs would benefit from Marner. Always liked Duchene but he been stuck in Colorado's nightmare mistakes of management. No wonder Roy left as coach!

Duchene is a good kid but extremely streaky.. he has a self-defeating personality where he will be too hard on himself if he doesnt score and gets frustrated. I dont think he could play in toronto. Plus Sakic will only take a defensmen and harmonic wasnt good enough for him so that means we'd pretty much loose reilly or gardner plus.

Leafs interested in Marleau clearly means there is likely a JVR deal in place for a defensemen and Marleau is his replacement.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Rumours of Marleau and Duchene now linked to leafs. What about Barrie? Would you take a risk in trading for Duchene or Barrie? Feel Duchene been treated horribly by Avs management. Time to let him go and think he could benefit from new atmosphere. Also been rumored that Preds & Pens. I can not see how pens could afford him unless Avs take some of his salary. Preds seem to be best fit as they lost Neal. Though rather him come to leafs would benefit from Marner. Always liked Duchene but he been stuck in Colorado's nightmare mistakes of management. No wonder Roy left as coach!

terrible rumours. Duchene was linked by Pierre McGuire not a noted insider, and he is a hyperbole machine. We will not be wasting the assets needed for Duchene on a forward maybe a dman. Marleau is fie as long as we ship out JVR this offseason

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I cannot see how the Leafs would have any interest in Duchesne, doesnt seem to fit their need, and the cost would be prohibitive.

I'm not a big fan of signing Marleau or Thornton to be honest, especially Thornton, too slow.

I am quite content on what they currently have, let the 2 swedes on d fight it out with Valiev, Dermott etc for a spot and re-sign Hunwick.

Though I would love to see them trade JVR and Bozak, i'm not sure it makes sense at this point. You are more likely getting futures for them which would hamper their chances at making the playoffs, which I assume is the goal. But at the same time, I wouldnt commit long term to either one of them, so its a dilemma.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well I gotta eat crow...I swore Smith was going to give T.O. a shot to sign him.

Why would he when the Rangers are stupidly overpaying him now? Leafs would not come close to that offer.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I would love Duchene as a long term Bozak replacement. Get great players when you can, and figure out the D later. But unfortunately I still think the Leafs are a year or two away from being able to offer up prospects that they can afford to lose. We have great young players right now, but we can't replace them. The decent ones (aka Kapanen) have value, but aren't going to get you a Duchene in return.

Hoping Lou stays the course for a little longer. Can't see Marleau moving from California to join the Leafs. Habs maybe given his background. Not happening.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would love Duchene as a long term Bozak replacement. Get great players when you can, and figure out the D later. But unfortunately I still think the Leafs are a year or two away from being able to offer up prospects that they can afford to lose. We have great young players right now, but we can't replace them. The decent ones (aka Kapanen) have value, but aren't going to get you a Duchene in return.

Hoping Lou stays the course for a little longer. Can't see Marleau moving from California to join the Leafs. Habs maybe given his background. Not happening.

We have Bozak replacements, and Duchene wouldn't trump at least one of them (Nylander).

Plus the guy is not as good as he's made out to be. Not anymore. I hope a team like Montreal royally overpays for him and watches him crumble. It's mean, but it's one less competitor in our division.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I can't see Duchene fitting here unless he plays the wing...

Is he better than Nylander? No chance.

Better than Kadri? I don't think he is.

So does he want to play the wing here? Next Q is how do we afford to re-sign him? I think this is just more media speculation.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I cannot see how the Leafs would have any interest in Duchesne, doesnt seem to fit their need, and the cost would be prohibitive.

I'm not a big fan of signing Marleau or Thornton to be honest, especially Thornton, too slow.

I am quite content on what they currently have, let the 2 swedes on d fight it out with Valiev, Dermott etc for a spot and re-sign Hunwick.

Though I would love to see them trade JVR and Bozak, i'm not sure it makes sense at this point. You are more likely getting futures for them which would hamper their chances at making the playoffs, which I assume is the goal. But at the same time, I wouldnt commit long term to either one of them, so its a dilemma.

True Duchene probably not happening but what about Barrie? I take Marleau but at way cheaper 1 year deal if we ship JVR off for assets to trade for D upgrade. If Marleau cost to much just give a spot to young player. Barrie would be good pickup possible pairing with Rielly? Then we do not resign Polak but Hunwick we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00