Trades, Rumours, Expansion and Free Agency? Interview Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
According to Dreger the Leafs have been in contact with Jordan Weal.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I would love Duchene ... but I don't think I want to give up the assets that he would cost. If it was JVR/Bozak + Kapanen/Brown + 2018 1st... sure... let's do it... but I doubt that gets it done.

We kind of have a log jam up front as is.

I would much rather Marleau and Thornton where they would only cost cap space (which we should have lots of since Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all make very little).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't know where Weal would fit.

With all of these FA contacts, either the Leafs are just feeling around for whatever reason or they have something bigger up their sleeve, because as this roster stands today, we already have three pretty good young guys sitting on the sidelines with two prone to waivers this year. Soshnikov may be included in there if Kapanen takes his job, which is likely.

Where would Weal fit? Where would Marleau or Thornton fit for that matter? JvR or Bozak have to be going.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I would love Duchene ... but I don't think I want to give up the assets that he would cost. If it was JVR/Bozak + Kapanen/Brown + 2018 1st... sure... let's do it... but I doubt that gets it done.

We kind of have a log jam up front as is.

I would much rather Marleau and Thornton where they would only cost cap space (which we should have lots of since Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all make very little).

I'm fairly sure that would get it done, which is why the Leafs would never do it. If we were paying that much, why not get a high end defenseman instead of a guy who is going to essentially be a minor upgrade on JvR at best for the next two years before we lose him for nothing because we can not afford him. How there is still a conversation about Duchene being a possibility here is beyond me. I can see why other team's fans are annoyed we are linked to everyone. I feel the exact same way.

Just like Weal. How is an undersized depth forward who had a good stretch going to fit into a team loaded at forward? It makes absolutely no sense, so I have no idea where these "insiders" are getting this crap from.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
According to Dreger the Leafs have been in contact with Jordan Weal.

Still young but hasn't done much in his limited NHL career - been in and out (most of the time) of line up

Weal was a frequent healthy scratch first with Los Angeles and then with the Flyers. A consistent scorer at the junior level, but nothing so far at NHL level

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm fairly sure that would get it done, which is why the Leafs would never do it. If we were paying that much, why not get a high end defenseman instead of a guy who is going to essentially be a minor upgrade on JvR at best for the next two years before we lose him for nothing because we can not afford him. How there is still a conversation about Duchene being a possibility here is beyond me. I can see why other team's fans are annoyed we are linked to everyone. I feel the exact same way.

Just like Weal. How is an undersized depth forward who had a good stretch going to fit into a team loaded at forward? It makes absolutely no sense, so I have no idea where these "insiders" are getting this crap from.

Have to get content from somewhere

Weal would be out of his gord if he signs here
He'd be buried in no man's land like 3-4 other wing prospects we have

Duchene is 6M of unnecessary as far as I'm concerned
And we'd have to give up assets to get him at least Marleau makes some sense if it means we could trade JVR or Bozak for assets after we signed him

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
True Duchene probably not happening but what about Barrie? I take Marleau but at way cheaper 1 year deal if we ship JVR off for assets to trade for D upgrade. If Marleau cost to much just give a spot to young player. Barrie would be good pickup possible pairing with Rielly? Then we do not resign Polak but Hunwick we do.

we have a better version of barrie in gardner. Barrie is a soft offensive defensmen that isnt good defensively something we dont need... Now Zadorov or Johnson is a different story.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Still young but hasn't done much in his limited NHL career - been in and out (most of the time) of line up

Weal was a frequent healthy scratch first with Los Angeles and then with the Flyers. A consistent scorer at the junior level, but nothing so far at NHL level

12 points in 23 games is why people are going crazy. But then why not let 10 points in 13 games who is a lot bigger and a year younger in Leivo get into the lineup?

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Here's a thought on Duchene...

Rumour was that the Isles offered Hamonic + 1st and Sakic turned it down. Maybe Lou is after Duchene to get his hands on Hamonic?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
With Rychel, Leivo, Kapanen, Soshnikov, etc fighting for maybe 2 roster spots, I don't see where Weal could fit, or why he'd want to sign here. Not unless we move some bodies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I can't see Duchene fitting here unless he plays the wing...

Is he better than Nylander? No chance.

Better than Kadri? I don't think he is.

So does he want to play the wing here? Next Q is how do we afford to re-sign him? I think this is just more media speculation.

I never understood this obsession with making Nylander a center. Why exactly is it necessary? When he was drafted, sure, made sense. The Leafs were desperate for a first line center, and praying Nylander was that guy was all we had as fans. Then Matthews came along. So now they have Matthews, Kadri and Bozak as their 3 guys down the middle, and everyone wants... What? To get rid of Bozak and move Kadri to the third line. Why?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
With Rychel, Leivo, Kapanen, Soshnikov, etc fighting for maybe 2 roster spots, I don't see where Weal could fit, or why he'd want to sign here. Not unless we move some bodies.

Rychel is not on Leivo, Kapanen or Soshnikov level :nod: You guys have to stop with the Rychel hype and watch a Marlie game lol

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Rychel is not on Leivo, Kapanen or Soshnikov level :nod:

He's also the youngest, a former 1st rounder unlike Leivo and Soshnikov, and just had a 50+ point season in the AHL.

Development goes in spurts, who knows how his summer goes, he's a realistic possibility to battle those two for a roster spot. Kapanen is the only one that is clearly above the rest of the group.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
McDavid's camp started the negotiations wanting a 5yr deal, obviously he cant wait to get to UFA to join the leafs :sarcasm:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Just chalk up the Leafs being in on every worthwhile player out there. What happened to the mgmt that doesn't let anything out to the media or do people not believe in that anymore? When mgmt doesn't let anything out to the public, the media has to come up with some rumours to balance it out.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Just chalk up the Leafs being in on every worthwhile player out there. What happened to the mgmt that doesn't let anything out to the media or do people not believe in that anymore? When mgmt doesn't let anything out to the public, the media has to come up with some rumours to balance it out.

this, they aren't in on 75% of these players. It works 2 fold 1; Excellent clickbait and 2; If the leafs happen to get these guys they look like geniuses.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Part of the problem is that other teams or agents do leak out information, but I still take anything Leafs with a grain of salt unless it sounds like a "Leafs" thing to do.

So going in for a top 4 RD, I can believe to an extent. Going after Hamonic makes sense.

Paying JvR + 1st for Hamonic, I do not believe. Going after Duchene, I do not believe.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I never understood this obsession with making Nylander a center. Why exactly is it necessary? When he was drafted, sure, made sense. The Leafs were desperate for a first line center, and praying Nylander was that guy was all we had as fans. Then Matthews came along. So now they have Matthews, Kadri and Bozak as their 3 guys down the middle, and everyone wants... What? To get rid of Bozak and move Kadri to the third line. Why?

I don't understand it either.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Bozak has 1 year left on his contract, I don't really want to resign him. Nylander has spent more time as a pro at C than on the W, and he himself said he feels more comfortable there

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

I don't understand it either.

I think it's because he handles the puck so well and is such a great skater.

Wingers tend to just use their speed to fly down the wing on a rush... whereas if Nylander was a center, he could carry the puck up the ice and gain the offensive zone and then look for a pass.

He seems like a guy who can very much control the play and he's better positioned to do that from center.

I think having Matthews with Nylander is a bit redundant. I would rather Matthews with Marner.

Also, Kadri was essentially playing a in 3rd line checking role this past season and he did amazing. So having Kadri as our third center behind Matthews and Nylander is exactly what we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA