Trades, Rumours, Expansion and Free Agency? Interview Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Chad Johnson will apparently go to Buffalo as well, which means Raanta-Domingue is likely what Arizona is running with.

Miller, Mason, Elliott, Condon, Bernier, Nilsson, Kinkaid, McElhinney and Kuemper are the only NHL quality UFA's out there assuming this is true. Niemi is also out there, and a few guys on the trade market.

Anaheim, Philly, Ottawa, Calgary, Toronto, NJD, NYR, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Dallas (if they don't keep Lehtonen), Winnipeg, LA and Vancouver all need backups. That's assuming teams like Chicago and Minnesota use guys like Forsberg and Stalock as backups next year.

13+ teams need.
10 NHL caliber FA's.

Some teams may rely upon prospects, like the Leafs and Sparks, but some teams may also may need to make trades or use guys like Hammond or Hutchison next year.

Condon's now off the market.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Chad Johnson will apparently go to Buffalo as well, which means Raanta-Domingue is likely what Arizona is running with.

Miller, Mason, Elliott, Condon, Bernier, Nilsson, Kinkaid, McElhinney and Kuemper are the only NHL quality UFA's out there assuming this is true. Niemi is also out there, and a few guys on the trade market.

Anaheim, Philly, Ottawa, Calgary, Toronto, NJD, NYR, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Dallas (if they don't keep Lehtonen), Winnipeg, LA and Vancouver all need backups. That's assuming teams like Chicago and Minnesota use guys like Forsberg and Stalock as backups next year.

13+ teams need.
10 NHL caliber FA's.

Some teams may rely upon prospects, like the Leafs and Sparks, but some teams may also may need to make trades or use guys like Hammond or Hutchison next year.

oh man I hope we aren't relying on sparks, sign Mac again. Sparks is AHL quality at best

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I just checked his numbers... he's actually got really good suppression numbers.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/JY2372CSN?:display_count=yes

Still.. lotta money for a #4D.

#4 pushes it for him too. Rangers liked him and he has those numbers, but besides his run with NYR, he was hardly even worth the money he was making last time.

They needed someone to replace Girardi I guess right? They still need a top 4 defenseman, and Shatty could be that guy for them.

McDonough-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal-DeAngelo
???

Klein may retire.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Condon's now off the market.

That's a pricey sum as well. The Leafs wouldn't pay that either.

Miller, Mason, Elliott, Bernier, Nilsson, Kinkaid, McElhinney and Kuemper + guys like Niemi and trade options (i.e. Hammond).

Anaheim, Philly, Calgary, Toronto, NJD, NYR, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Dallas (if they don't keep Lehtonen), Winnipeg, LA and Vancouver.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
#4 pushes it for him too. Rangers liked him and he has those numbers, but besides his run with NYR, he was hardly even worth the money he was making last time.

They needed someone to replace Girardi I guess right? They still need a top 4 defenseman, and Shatty could be that guy for them.

McDonough-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal-DeAngelo
???

Klein may retire.

Looks pretty good to me. If Shattenkirk isn't there though... they're in trouble.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Apparently leafs are interested in duchene. Interesting but I don't see a deal that works for both sides. I'd be ok with offering kapanen and a 1st but don't think avs would take that.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
McDavid is essentially just earning what Crosby did when he signed his first RFA contract in terms of % of the cap. Eichel'a next contract, i strongly suspect will be for 10 million or more.

At present we'll just have to wait and see how things unfold. I do hope Leafs are able to get team friendly deals for their stars, but I'm not optimistic that will happen.
The downside for Edmonton is that I don't think the cap is going to rise quite as much in the next 10 years as it did after Crosby signed his deal. I mean sure if it rises by something like 20 million by the end of McDavid's deal then things turned out alright....probably not though. Edmonton is going to end up in a Chicago-like cap hell without even getting the benefit of winning Stanley Cups beforehand.

Some heavy lifting ahead for Lou on these upcoming deals. Getting Nylander extended for something remotely reasonable will be an important first step.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
oh man I hope we aren't relying on sparks, sign Mac again. Sparks is AHL quality at best

He's actually not. He's NHL quality, but needs to stay healthy. I would be good with Mac, because it allows us to have a really cheap backup we can bury in the minors without cost if Sparks beats him in camp, which is a realistic possibility.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Sign Marleau to a two year deal, trade JVR for a 1st round pick.

The team would be just as good, and we'd continue to build through the draft for the future. We'd have two 1sts and two 2nds in the 2018 draft and continue to build a sustainable contender.

I have no interest in Marleau at anything beyond a two year deal, however.

Of course, this is all NHL 18 type stuff.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Looks pretty good to me. If Shattenkirk isn't there though... they're in trouble.

Apparently leafs are interested in duchene. Interesting but I don't see a deal that works for both sides. I'd be ok with offering kapanen and a 1st but don't think avs would take that.

I wouldn't offer Kapanen or a 1st for Duchene. He does nothing for us except take up cap space we don't have. He's not nearly as good as his price indicates either.

Most likely, whatever team pays up for him will regret it big time. Apparently Montreal could be one of those teams, and that may be the nail in their coffin for a few years. It'll likely cost them Gally at least after all...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

there no way, any package that could get Duchene could get a hell of a dman I would have to question management getting another forward (he doesn't always play C) obviously JVR/Bozak or both would be straightout the door but still what sakic wants would get us a really good dman

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sign Marleau to a two year deal, trade JVR for a 1st round pick.

The team would be just as good, and we'd continue to build through the draft for the future. We'd have two 1sts and two 2nds in the 2018 draft and continue to build a sustainable contender.

I have no interest in Marleau at anything beyond a two year deal, however.

We'd get a decent amount more than a 1st for JvR, especially if we retain.

We'd still need to find money from either trading Bozak or somewhere else, since Marleau likely gets JvR money. We'd also have to trade Leivo since we don't have a spot for him.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
We'd get a decent amount more than a 1st for JvR, especially if we retain.

We'd still need to find money from either trading Bozak or somewhere else, since Marleau likely gets JvR money. We'd also have to trade Leivo since we don't have a spot for him.

We don't need capspace until two years from now when Matthews & Marner's ELCs are up, at which point Marleau's contract would also be up and we could let him walk.

Leivo is a useful guy to have as depth in case of injury.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We don't need capspace until two years from now when Matthews & Marner's ELCs are up, at which point Marleau's contract would also be up and we could let him walk.

Leivo is a useful guy to have as depth in case of injury.

We need money right now though.

And Leivo is going on waivers if he's not in the lineup next year.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
13.25 for McDavid Lol

I love him as a player and know he's worth it, but people are kidding themselves if they think that the Oilers can compete with one player making up that much of their cap. It worked for Pittsburgh because they had Malkin and an actual 1D. Drai is good, but nowhere near Malkin good. And nobody on their blue line will be as good as Letang.

As for the Leafs; I would love to see JVR and Bozak moved for 2018 picks while we signed Marleau (and possibly Thornton). That's a veteran presence that will easily be able to play under Babcock. Thornton would also make it easier for Nylander to transition to centre. Marleau can keep up with everyone (can still skate) and would have fun playing with Marner.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
13.25 is a near suicide for the organization if Drai gets 7-8m

Good luck haha.

If McDavid gets 13.25, Drai will get more than 7-8 on an 8 year deal. It's the new price tag for elite players. It actually hasn't really changed in terms of percentage of cap. You have to decide if it's worth having both guys in your lineup.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Which would be a waste in more ways than one

Which is why I have him in the lineup.

I can see one of Marleau or Thornton, but not both. And they are playing center. And you still have one of Rychel, Leivo or Kapanen on the outside looking in unless you move out a Hyman, Brown, Martin or Komarov (or Fehr if you want them as 13th forwards).

Marleau takes his dominant draws, and Nylander takes his dominant draws since I believe they are on opposite sides. So you essentially have two centers on one line. Throw a versatile Leivo, Rychel or Kapanen in there and you have a new 2nd or 3rd line. If it's not Leivo though, then you are still faced with having to move him though.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
We need money right now though.

And Leivo is going on waivers if he's not in the lineup next year.

We don't need money right now, our cap situation is fine.

Leivo could be a 13th forward splitting time with Soshnikov. If he's not in the lineup, it doesn't matter, you can carry 23 players. When there's an injury he'll get his shot, and if he proves himself he'll either get a full-time spot or have significant trade value for us.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
13.25 for McDavid Lol

I love him as a player and know he's worth it, but people are kidding themselves if they think that the Oilers can compete with one player making up that much of their cap. It worked for Pittsburgh because they had Malkin and an actual 1D. Drai is good, but nowhere near Malkin good. And nobody on their blue line will be as good as Letang.

As for the Leafs; I would love to see JVR and Bozak moved for 2018 picks while we signed Marleau (and possibly Thornton). That's a veteran presence that will easily be able to play under Babcock. Thornton would also make it easier for Nylander to transition to centre. Marleau can keep up with everyone (can still skate) and would have fun playing with Marner.

The oliers top 2 players will total around 20 million, The Leafs top 3 players will total around 25 million.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
We don't need money right now, our cap situation is fine.

Leivo could be a 13th forward splitting time with Soshnikov. If he's not in the lineup, it doesn't matter, you can carry 23 players. When there's an injury he'll get his shot, and if he proves himself he'll either get a full-time spot or have significant trade value for us.

as all fringe NHLers do...

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The oliers top 2 players will total around 20 million, The Leafs top 3 players will total around 25 million.

Yup. That's the point. We can run a three headed giant that can outscore their duo by a large magnitude, whereas they'll be spending more than 20 million most likely, on two players. Going to laugh if they give Drai 8 million a year.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yup. That's the point. We can run a three headed giant that can outscore their duo by a large magnitude, whereas they'll be spending more than 20 million most likely, on two players. Going to laugh if they give Drai 8 million a year.

Will you laugh when we give marner and nylander 8-10 each?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad