Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
This ...

• Trade for Hamonic
  • Trade Gardiner for a first.
  • That opens up our LHD side for Dermot or a Swede!

None of the LHD prospects are potential top-4 this coming year (it is iffy that any of them are bottom 2 this year either and will probably just get a taste). Trading Gardiner is a terrible idea.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What makes you think we're in any way close to going back to that? There is a middle ground, you know.

for the same reasons i did not get sucked into that mind set after the PO run against Boston. Not enough track record yet.

They got sucked in, went into crazy mode to improve this "ever so close team" and we paid dearly.

ya, we had lots of "young guys" then also kessel/jvr/kadri/reims/gards/ , just to name some.

so ya, i think i'll hold off at least 1 more season before i declare this team as a "not rebuilding team".

member 262271

I forgot I'm in the Leafs forum lol, Jake for the Norris :help:

Seems to me your remembered just fine, but are stuck in the era where only Gardiner's mistakes were focused on. I was of that opinion once, but he's made great strides under Babs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A fun thing to think about regarding the Yotes trading for Stepan, is that that's one less potential centre for Montreal to target in a trade :laugh:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Foote is my guy to take unless Lilj falls, BUT this is why we keep this pick, also can move up, Lou isnt shy about doing that, and with Hunter being a draft genius as well, if he feels it is worth to move up to take either of those 2 we do it..and those saying suzuki i dont see that one

we lack size on the back end, an anchor type, rugged with some offense upside, that is cal foote all day, and who knows, maybe we snag Hague later as well

Same. I also believe he's 1-2 years away.

member 262271

BTW Re: Foote Vs Hamonic

Draft Year Stats

Travis Hamonic 2007-08 Moose Jaw Warriors WHL 61GP 5G 17A 22PTS
Callan Foote 2016-17 Kelowna Rockets WHL 71GP 6G 51A 57PTS

Interesting. Thanks for the post.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
2 1st round picks is an overpayment for sure. But hopefully Lou can pull something off for a lesser price because I love Hamonic. Dude's a beast.

Rielly-Hamonic
Gardiner-Zaitsev

Solid top 4

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
godzilla

firstly rielly, gards, zaits are going no where for no one, why would we want another first, this draft is the weakest in the last decade, we either stay at 17 get foote, brannstrom, or trade up to insure we get foote, i have him high on the radar, with his size, offense and skating

and no leaf fan would ever say gardiner for the norris, though he was plus 24 last year and arguably out did rielly, though rielly never fully recovered from his ankle injury

so we made the playoffs big whoop several interviews including the exit videos, (go and watch) lou shanny babs all said they want success for years to come not on short term, not mortgaging the future to get better fast they want guaranteed playoffs where media fans know we are in like the caps, penguins for example, we all know they both are in even at this point (except this year may change with caps due to heavy UFA losses)

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Same. I also believe he's 1-2 years away.

i agree, maybe a year, his late bday, i put him on marlies to start unless he kills it in training camp and as well keep in mind too, IF we still have dermott i peg him to crack 3rd or 4th pair this year and nielsen is no slouch he just needs to work on skating..postioning is great, and his shot is a big bomb ..he is like a slower version of dumba

watched a lot of marlies games, and dermott by far is the best, followed by nielsen, then we need to see about rosen and borgman..i believe our management has rosen possible bttm pair to start borgman was a rookie last year huge offensive upside...as well both these guys could be easily included in a package for a top 2 by these guys i mean dermott, nielsen, rosen,borg

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
for the same reasons i did not get sucked into that mind set after the PO run against Boston. Not enough track record yet.

They got sucked in, went into crazy mode to improve this "ever so close team" and we paid dearly.

ya, we had lots of "young guys" then also kessel/jvr/kadri/reims/gards/ , just to name some.

so ya, i think i'll hold off at least 1 more season before i declare this team as a "not rebuilding team".

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Wild have something Cooking, looks like its Scandella. Signs are pointing to the Bruins most likely. Could go down soon

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

good for you you made a quote.

Unfortunately, the implication that we "learn" simply by avoiding the action altogether is wrong.

That core that we based on the 2 x 1st round picks off of was laughably worse than it is now. Our top-3 scorers were Jason Blake, Alex Ponikarovsky, and Matt Stajan. Our top scoring D was Pavel Kubina.

Do you need me to continue comparing all the ways that core was different from ours now?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Unfortunately, the implication that we "learn" simply by avoiding the action altogether is wrong.

That core that we based on the 2 x 1st round picks off of was laughably worse than it is now. Our top-3 scorers were Jason Blake, Alex Ponikarovsky, and Matt Stajan. Our top scoring D was Pavel Kubina.

Do you need me to continue comparing all the ways that core was different from ours now?

It's utterly different situations - the teams aren't alike in the slightest I understand the hesitation for some surrounding certain types of moves but at the end of the day if the opportunity present to itself you have to take it

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Scandella vs Hamonic

not sure which one I'd rather have assuming the cost is equal.

I think Scandella is the better Dman, but Hamonic is a better fit for us.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Scandella vs Hamonic

not sure which one I'd rather have assuming the cost is equal.

I think Scandella is the better Dman, but Hamonic is a better fit for us.
If Scandella gets traded for at least a 1st round pick I wonder if that will encourage Garth Snow to ask for at least that or more for Hamonic?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's utterly different situations - the teams aren't alike in the slightest I understand the hesitation for some surrounding certain types of moves but at the end of the day if the opportunity present to itself you have to take it

I still don't think dealing our 2018 1st is a particularly good idea

This year's I have not trouble with but next years is fraught with risk
A couple of injuries and it's not inconceivable were a lottery team with a shot at Dahlin

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If Scandella gets traded for at least a 1st round pick I wonder if that will encourage Garth Snow to ask for at least that or more for Hamonic?

I'd say their values are pretty similar, at least they should be.

17th overall + B prospect (Bracco/Rychel/Nielson) + 2018 2nd is the most i'd offer for either.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Here's another one then

“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.â€
- Edmund Burke

We were discussing the moves made after the 2013 playoffs, not the Kessel trade.

But thanks for chiming in.:)

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Classic Lou smokescreen. Hamonic is overrated as hell. We're going to get someone better if we do make a big trade.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Here's another one then

�Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.�
- Edmund Burke

We were discussing the moves made after the 2013 playoffs, not the Kessel trade.

But thanks for chiming in.:)

You mean when our top-5 players were Kadri, JVR, Franson, Bozak and Phaneuf, we had no prospect depth, and only 1 player scored more than 50 points?

Yah I can totally see how that's a completely different argument....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad