Ansar Khan: Trades, Buyouts, and the Entry Draft

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

“Do we have Dan Cleary signed, or not signed? Do we have Brunner signed or not signed? Do we have Stephen Weiss signed or not signed? I don’t know,†Holland said. “Are we going to sign someone in the open market or not sign anyone in the open market? We just know that we have to be at 50 contracts or less.â€

I'm trying to have faith, I am. But man if he doesn't sound like a guy in 10 feet over his head in a quote like that. Come on Ken; get us Grabovski.

:(

RedWingsNow*

Are the Red Wings interested in Weiss simply because of the Weisserman PS from his Whaler days?

What a disappointment he would be.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe it would have been Nyquist or Tatar if they'd been called up when they should have.

Whatever the case, Holland's cautiousness was evidently not the idea of Nill

Heh. That fits the narrative, doesn't it? In reality though, the Stars had no top-6 centers (Benn doesn't count). Literally none. Nill had no choice but to make a trade. The Wings have Datsyuk and Zetterberg. The Wings needs are nothing like the Stars needs. Apples to oranges.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Are the Red Wings interested in Weiss simply because of the Weisserman PS from his Whaler days?

What a disappointment he would be.

Weiss fits the Wings style and is a good team guy. He also fits our need for a 2nd-line center. Is he really that big of a downgrade from Filppula?

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Press conference highlights after Holland publicly announces both Sammy and Bert will be back...

Wojonowski: Ken, Boston, whose a division rival next year just added a significant piece and goal scorer in Loui Eriksson. You're playing against him now, how does that make you feel? Could he have been added here to play with his fellow Swedes?

Holland:
Well Bob, we really like our team a lot. We'll have a couple of our own guys coming back from injury in Bert and Sammy. Plus we'll hope to add Danny (Clearly) back into the lineup as well. You just can substitute for that kind of character and heart in a lineup.

As to whether or not we could have added a guy like Eriksson? No, you don't want to commit and overpay on a guy like that only averages 25-30 goals a season, especially someone at 27 years of age. You've got to be cautious with who you sign in the new salary cap era.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
But seriously, I can't believe Montreal went that direction. and we thought the WINGS were a small team. That is certainly not a team designed for the postseason.

Lol, what I like about this deal? Price is pretty intense, by most accounts Briere is exactly not intense (in the reg season anyways).

So first time Danny ole's in the slot and the blueliner walks up for a big point shot (Philly fans are now nodding vigorously btw)... Price might kill him?

MAN I hope that's the CBC game when it happens!

:D

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Weiss fits the Wings style and is a good team guy. He also fits our need for a 2nd-line center. Is he really that big of a downgrade from Filppula?

Upgrade to me, but that's a point of debate around here.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
The trouble with Weiss is not persay Weiss himself, I don't think. A lot of people fear that Kenny will be done once he signs Weiss. In that case all you will have done is slid one guy out and another in, making no actual improvements.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Press conference highlights after Holland publicly announces both Sammy and Bert will be back...

Something interesting is I have long thought the Wings would love Eriksson. Seems a perfect fit, interesting to see these comments and to watch Nill move him directly out of the organization even if it was for a big target.

Eriksson might not have been the fit we all thought he was the last several years, seems they have a different opinion on him than I thought.

RedWingsNow*

Heh. That fits the narrative, doesn't it? In reality though, the Stars had no top-6 centers (Benn doesn't count). Literally none. Nill had no choice but to make a trade. The Wings have Datsyuk and Zetterberg. The Wings needs are nothing like the Stars needs. Apples to oranges.

Really?
The Stars had no choice but to make a trade
They couldn't sign VinnLC? Stephen Weiss? Grabovski? Filppula?

The point isn't that Nill made a trade -- it's that he made a HUMONGOUS trade for one of the most prized youngsters in the game.

It's also pretty offensive to constantly be lectured on "reality."

We all have our opinions. None of us knows what a GM's "reality" actuality is and we're all speculating.

Constantly defending the moves of a GM doesn't make your opinion any more "real" than anyone else's opinion.

GMs like Jim Nill and Paul Holmgren and Peter Chiarelli and Stan Bowman certainly prove that Ken Holland's cautious style isn't the only way to go about the business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad