Ansar Khan: Trades, Buyouts, and the Entry Draft

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
According to Ansar Khan, via Bleacher Report, the Red Wings will try to trade Jordin Tootoo and Cory Emmerton soon, according to his sources. These are efforts to "alleviate logjam" of forwards. They are also looking at using their compliance buyouts for one or both Carlo Coliacovo and Mikael Samuelsson. These decisions will depend on what moves they make at the entry draft in Newark this weekend. All of this will be explored and carried out by July 4th before the free agency opens on the 5th.

crashman

If this come to fruition, I feel like Ken Holland has been reading my posts on these forums. I never thought I could get so excited about the Red Wings dumping players!

This years playoffs basically served as tryouts for next season, it seems like the Wings are set on keeping the guys that got us to game 7 of the 2nd round.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I don't see the need to use a CB on CC. I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would part with a 4th or 5th round pick(maybe a 3rd!) and a mid-tier prospect for his services since he's only got one year left at a reasonable rate. I like Big Bert. And believe he could contribute beyond SO's next year. But if buying him out along with Sammy then re-signing Brunner and a top 6 forward I would be cool with it since we can't count on Bert being healthy.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
There should be a trade market for CC if they're willing to wait until August. He'll look a lot better to a lot of teams after they go into FA looking for D help and come up empty. Even if they just get a conditional 7th for him, he's got to have some trade value. Floor teams might want him just for the salary.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There should be a trade market for CC if they're willing to wait until August. He'll look a lot better to a lot of teams after they go into FA looking for D help and come up empty. Even if they just get a conditional 7th for him, he's got to have some trade value. Floor teams might want him just for the salary.

Blows my mind that they didn't trade White for anything at the deadline. You have to think he could have gotten something,

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Blows my mind that they didn't trade White for anything at the deadline. You have to think he could have gotten something,

Especially considering when national "insiders" speculated that he could fetch a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I think we can all agree that when healthy, he's between a 4th and 5th d-man on an average team. Correct?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I agree but I do not think that Kindl/Dekeyser/Smith had truely pushed White out of a job at that point.
It was getting close, but not quite.

Their solid play last 5 games of the season and in the playoffs ensured White's departure.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack

Holland must have been real gunshy to do anything that might limit their chances at extending the playoff streak.

Even if white never drew in, he was our only righty option on the blueline last year, he was a contingency-one that must have been more valuable to KH, at that time, than a late round pick. I think Holland is really protective of the streak.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Especially considering when national "insiders" speculated that he could fetch a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I think we can all agree that when healthy, he's between a 4th and 5th d-man on an average team. Correct?

Yeah, I can definitely see White as a really good puck mover on the third pairing. I have no idea why he wans't moved, either. I think he was clearly on the outside looking in, and if we really went deep enough on the depth chart to where Babcock would have put him on the ice, damn near the entire rest of the starters would have been injured at that point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree but I do not think that Kindl/Dekeyser/Smith had truely pushed White out of a job at that point.

Their solid play last 5 games of the season and in the playoffs ensured White's departure.

IIRC he wasn't even playing for a few games leading up to the trade deadline, then never played for the rest of the year. Even so, we had CC sitting there as the #7 that proved to be a better option than White.

Absolutely terrible asset management on KH's part.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Holland must have been real gunshy to do anything that might limit their chances at extending the playoff streak.

Even if white never drew in, he was our only righty option on the blueline last year, he was a contingency-one that must have been more valuable to KH, at that time, than a late round pick. I think Holland is really protective of the streak.

Parting with a #7 or #8 d-man on your depth chart for a mid-round draft pick is something you should do any time you have that option.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Parting with a #7 or #8 d-man on your depth chart for a mid-round draft pick is something you should do any time you have that option.

Yeah, i dont disagree, but i think if you lose an offensive D like Kronwall or kindl down the stretch last year, it helps a lot more to have a guy like white on your roster than a 3rd round pick or whatever.

He was contingency.

Because, like i said, the GM who's paranoid of missing the playoffs, refrains from making those moves.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney

No, I think he was well and truly gone after his media rant. I just think there wasn't a market for him at the deadline.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
No, I think he was well and truly gone after his media rant. I just think there wasn't a market for him at the deadline.

****** small defensemen who can't do anything without playing with elite partners generally don't have a market.

But people would have probably bit on White unless they thought that he was so terrible that Lashoff passed him on the depth chart.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

Jokes aside, I agree with this post 100%. Guy vanished for a reason and it wasn't just his big fat mouth, but when you combine said big fat mouth, with less than impressive physical dimensions AND what appears to be a rapidly declining skill set... other GMs would hang up.

Nicky was just that good, he could make what's left of a "never really was" D-man look "decent".

Edit: although, I openly admit I agree 100% with WHAT White said, I just wish it wasn't one of our guys who said it is all.

RedWingsNow*

Yet last year we traded Commodore for nothing (wasn't it last year?).

Holland probably has his reasons. But from where I sit, this dude is making mistake after mistake

Even the moves I like (White, at the time, Tootoo, Brunner) don't seem to work out

I wonder what the Wings have in mind for Brunner, salary wise... and what Brunner is asking

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Yet last year we traded Commodore for nothing (wasn't it last year?).

Holland probably has his reasons. But from where I sit, this dude is making mistake after mistake

Even the moves I like (White, at the time, Tootoo, Brunner) don't seem to work out
Guess that's why Illitch didn't hire you as GM.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
****** small defensemen who can't do anything without playing with elite partners generally don't have a market.

But people would have probably bit on White unless they thought that he was so terrible that Lashoff passed him on the depth chart.

Guys with 500 NHL games and quite a bit of top 4 experience usually have some level of value. Remember the way everyone talked about the guy when Holland picked him up?

Hard for me to believe guy couldn't have been moved for a 3rd or 4th rounder when Clowe and his goalless streak got two seconds and a third and he is going to be a UFA anyways. If you asked SJ's fans if he had that kind of value they would have told you that you're high, but that's what good GM's are able to pull off.

Murray also fetched two second rounders despite most Sharks fans thinking his level of play and trade value had dropped off considerably.

When you sit on your hands it's awfully hard to make trades though.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
IIRC he wasn't even playing for a few games leading up to the trade deadline, then never played for the rest of the year. Even so, we had CC sitting there as the #7 that proved to be a better option than White.

Absolutely terrible asset management on KH's part.

DeKeyser was still an unknown quantity at that stage, Cola was still injured, and Lashoff was not doing altogether very well. White was an insurance policy.

That said, I doubt he would have fetched anything better than a 3rd. I don't see the inherent catastrophe.

Guys with 500 NHL games and quite a bit of top 4 experience usually have some level of value. Remember the way everyone talked about the guy when Holland picked him up?

Hard for me to believe guy couldn't have been moved for a 3rd or 4th rounder when Clowe and his goalless streak got two seconds and a third and he is going to be a UFA anyways. If you asked SJ's fans if he had that kind of value they would have told you that you're high, but that's what good GM's are able to pull off.

Murray also fetched two second rounders despite most Sharks fans thinking his level of play and trade value had dropped off considerably.

When you sit on your hands it's awfully hard to make trades though.

Clowe and Murray are, at the least, big, physical players. White is a shrimp, and he was having a horrific season.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Remind me again, when did Holland sign CC and Sammy?

Two awful signings that were seen as awful signings the moment they happened.

And........now they are getting ready to get bought out, which is going to waste the only two compliance buyouts the Wings have.

Ian White walking out the front door just makes him look even worse.

If Flip walks.....wow, talk about wasting assets. At that point you have to ask Kenny to enroll in the Ray Shero school of asset management.

RedWingsNow*

So why not do what the Sharks did?
The Sharks traded away guys who didn't fit. And they also traded for guys who would.

We did nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->