Ansar Khan: Trades, Buyouts, and the Entry Draft

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Why do you guys keep talking about the off season like it's already over? Free agency hasn't even opened yet!

Lol, I know. I'm obviously hoping to be wrong, just scared I won't be is all. In regards to the statement you quoted: I was just saying that inept isn't fair if half the league ALSO wants to sign Danny. :) The correct term would be mediocre.

Just a joke. I made my feelings clear re: the offseason in the line you quoted at the end there. I have faith, but if this offseason's plan turns out to be nothing? No matter HOW much respect I have for Ken Holland, I would consider that a huge mistake.

That's all, not trying to be mean/a smart ass.

RedWingsNow*

I've heard nothing about Derek Roy. What's the deal with him?

Good candidate for a bounce back year...but how much would you bet on it?
5'9... 30 years old
After five pretty productive years
318 points in 350 games

He's had 72 points in 122 games in two years.

That's a pretty steep drop.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Lol, I know. I'm obviously hoping to be wrong, just scared I won't be is all. In regards to the statement you quoted: I was just saying that inept isn't fair if half the league ALSO wants to sign Danny. :) The correct term would be mediocre.

Just a joke. I made my feelings clear re: the offseason in the line you quoted at the end there. I have faith, but if this offseason's plan turns out to be nothing? No matter HOW much respect I have for Ken Holland, I would consider that a huge mistake.

That's all, not trying to be mean/a smart ass.

I am hoping they fire him or at the very least demote hm to head scout where he does his best business anyways

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 16 s
Blues trade David Perron to Oilers. Details to follow. #RDS

Curious to see the return. Perron is reportedly mystified that he didn't wind up in Montreal. Think he is actually going to a better setup but whatever.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Yakupov

Is a filthy top 6. Of course they didn't trade Perron for chump change, wonder if Klefbom or next years first. Something of substance went that way.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 16 s
Blues trade David Perron to Oilers. Details to follow. #RDS

for Paarjarvi and a 2nd.

I don't really get this deal for Edmonton. They got a guy who is better right now, but not significantly so, and also got smaller, slower, and more expensive.

I would have hung onto MPS and went after Cleary and Morrow to round out the team and bring a vet presence. Or maybe someone like Brandon Yip or David Steckel, some really good energy guys.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Blues save bit of cap space. And Perron isn't really player that... you know, hustles all over ice.

I actually wouldn't have minded Perron. Skilled RH shooter but bc of cap, that probably couldn't have worked out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Blues save bit of cap space.

Yes, they would have been over the cap by ~2 million after combined ~11 million extension money for Stewart+Pietrangelo. It was pretty obvious that some forward at ~4 million salary range would go for a cheaper piece. Adding Derek Roy from free agency made it easier to lose someone like Perron.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Clearly the Blues believe in MPS, he will make an interesting addition. Slides in with Berglund, I actually like this deal, and you're probably looking at a pick around 40th.

But like I said depends on your evaluation of MPS, personally I don't think all is lost. The Blues certainly got faster with this deal and he fits in with their big body setup. In fact whereas MPS was really one of the only big guys in Edmonton and still really young feeling out the NHL game, now he will play with overtly physical players and get to learn into a role that isn't easy to learn. He doesn't have to be a physical dynamo, and he can get tips on leverage and how to play with his size, skating and ability.

Tarasenko, Steen, Schwartz, Oshie, MPS, and Stewart. The remain fairly loaded on the wing and run Backes, Roy, and Berglund down the middle. The Blues have done a solid job constructing that team. However something to keep in mind is they better put it together this season, because a lot of those guys can become available soon.

Berglund, Steen, Schwartz, Roy, JayBo are all due contracts next year. Depending on what MPS and Stewart get as RFA guys they might be as well, both goalies deals are up also.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Clearly the Blues believe in MPS, he will make an interesting addition. Slides in with Berglund, I actually like this deal, and you're probably looking at a pick around 40th.

But like I said depends on your evaluation of MPS, personally I don't think all is lost. The Blues certainly got faster with this deal and he fits in with their big body setup. In fact whereas MPS was really one of the only big guys in Edmonton and still really young feeling out the NHL game, now he will play with overtly physical players and get to learn into a role that isn't easy to learn. He doesn't have to be a physical dynamo, and he can get tips on leverage and how to play with his size, skating and ability.

We should if the Blues are willing to move that dynamic sputnik Vladdy T Sizzle. Nyquist, Sammy and some prospects.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We should if the Blues are willing to move that dynamic sputnik Vladdy T Sizzle. Nyquist, Sammy and some prospects.

That wouldn't get it done. Cannot formulate a very realistic offer that has them talking turkey with us on Tarasenko.

Tarasenko is the closest player I can remember to thinking, wow that guy looks like Fedorov. Not just the number, but his skating and release. He obviously doesn't have the two way ability and it is a rough comparison. But when I watch him play, especially advancing forward he reminds me of him. There are flashes of it.

I would love to get him, but he is rightfully not for sale more than likely.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Backlund in Calgary signs 2 years 3 million, seems like a decent comparable for Nyquist if we are doing a short term deal with him.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Tarasenko is pretty much as close to untouchable as he can get right now.

Only way he gets moved is if the Blues get back bonafide proven talent. We can't provide that.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Agreed. Don't see Hemsky bringing back an upgrade.

I think a Hemsky deal, for EDM, would just be a quality PK/Checking forward and maybe a prospect and/or pick. They don't need top 6 forwards...they need to get better depth guys. I think trading Hemsky, especially since it is for one year of salary, would get you a quality depth forward for a team that needs skill. Perhaps Nashville, Florida, Tampa Bay, or Dallas would be a good fit. A team that has space for his salary and needs an upgrade on 2nd line scoring.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think a Hemsky deal, for EDM, would just be a quality PK/Checking forward and maybe a prospect and/or pick. They don't need top 6 forwards...they need to get better depth guys. I think trading Hemsky, especially since it is for one year of salary, would get you a quality depth forward for a team that needs skill. Perhaps Nashville, Florida, Tampa Bay, or Dallas would be a good fit. A team that has space for his salary and needs an upgrade on 2nd line scoring.

Hemsky for Kevin Klein makes a ton of sense, adjust accordingly to which team adds or whatever.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
for Paarjarvi and a 2nd.

I don't really get this deal for Edmonton. They got a guy who is better right now, but not significantly so, and also got smaller, slower, and more expensive.

I would have hung onto MPS and went after Cleary and Morrow to round out the team and bring a vet presence. Or maybe someone like Brandon Yip or David Steckel, some really good energy guys.

Perron is a little chicken **** weasel, and if that second line of Perron-Gagner-Yakupov is ever iced, they'll get the living bejesus beaten out of them. This is another step in the wrong direction for the Oil up front.

I don't get this deal for either side. Makes more sense for the Blues I guess, if they figure the players are a wash and they get a 2nd.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Hemsky for Kevin Klein makes a ton of sense, adjust accordingly to which team adds or whatever.

Klein is under contract for 5 more years at a $2.9 mil cap hit. He's worth about a billion times more than Hemsky on the trade market. Plus, they just signed Stalberg so Hemsky would be kind of redundant. Maybe Bartley or Blum and a mid-round pick, that should do it for one year of Hemsky.

My god, I just looked at the Preds' capgeek and lordy, do they have a lot of below average forwards signed to pricey contracts.

Legwand. Cullen. Gaustad. Stalberg. Nystrom. Hendricks.

And almost all of them have NTCs. Yikes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Klein is under contract for 5 more years at a $2.9 mil cap hit. He's worth about a billion times more than Hemsky on the trade market. Plus, they just signed Stalberg so Hemsky would be kind of redundant. Maybe Bartley or Blum and a mid-round pick, that should do it for one year of Hemsky.

My god, I just looked at the Preds' capgeek and lordy, do they have a lot of below average forwards signed to pricey contracts.

Legwand. Cullen. Gaustad. Stalberg. Nystrom. Hendricks.

And almost all of them have NTCs. Yikes.

They didn't qualify Blum.

You're also missing the fact of why I think Klein is expendable. We will see if Trotz breaks up Weber and Josi to play Weber and Jones. Doesn't make much sense, none of the righties will have had any experience playing the left, you just never do it as a right handed shot. You can do it on the PP, but you're unlikely to see this last on an actual defense pairing. There is no familiarity with it at any level of hockey, almost every time it is attempted it fails miserably. These are two of the most talented players so maybe but I think outside of the PP you won't see it in pretty quick order. Just like when Team USA at this years WJC entertained the idea of Trouba and Jones, but quickly gave up on it. McCabe had a fabulous tournament but entering that tournament the three best USA D-man on paper were Trouba, Jones and Murphy and they were all put on separate pairs, a big part of that being no right hand guy has ever had to consider lining up on the left and are completely foreign to the idea.

So now you have this as right handers on the Preds.

Seth Jones
Kevin Klein
Ryan Ellis
Shea Weber

Now I am not huge Ellis guy, but he won't return you a ton on your investment and he works as a third pairing, 2nd PP unit guy right now. By the way Blum was another right-hander still think we should call him up and ditch Lashoff, but I digress.

So you're in a bit of a pickle. Plus the add where necessary comments. See if you cannot get the Oilers to add something you like, they certainly should for a guy like Klein that cannot leave immediately which is a concern still in Edmonton despite what they say and is a huge fit, they solidify three righties.

It's not perfect but they might throw you a prospect to make it happen. There should be more pressing needs in both towns but there is a fit. Or you can just give up on Ellis altogether. However Nashville talks a lot about adding a dynamic offensive player, here is a chance to get one.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
They didn't qualify Blum.

You're also missing the fact of why I think Klein is expendable. We will see if Trotz breaks up Weber and Josi to play Weber and Jones. Doesn't make much sense, none of the righties will have had any experience playing the left, you just never do it as a right handed shot. You can do it on the PP, but you're unlikely to see this last on an actual defense pairing. There is no familiarity with it at any level of hockey, almost every time it is attempted it fails miserably. These are two of the most talented players so maybe but I think outside of the PP you won't see it in pretty quick order. Just like when Team USA at this years WJC entertained the idea of Trouba and Jones, but quickly gave up on it. McCabe had a fabulous tournament but entering that tournament the three best USA D-man on paper were Trouba, Jones and Murphy and they were all put on separate pairs, a big part of that being no right hand guy has ever had to consider lining up on the left and are completely foreign to the idea.

So now you have this as right handers on the Preds.

Seth Jones
Kevin Klein
Ryan Ellis
Shea Weber

Now I am not huge Ellis guy, but he won't return you a ton on your investment and he works as a third pairing, 2nd PP unit guy right now. By the way Blum was another right-hander still think we should call him up and ditch Lashoff, but I digress.

So you're in a bit of a pickle. Plus the add where necessary comments. See if you cannot get the Oilers to add something you like, they certainly should for a guy like Klein that cannot leave immediately which is a concern still in Edmonton despite what they say and is a huge fit, they solidify three righties.

It's not perfect but they might throw you a prospect to make it happen. There should be more pressing needs in both towns but there is a fit. Or you can just give up on Ellis altogether. However Nashville talks a lot about adding a dynamic offensive player, here is a chance to get one.

Even if Klein were expendable, I think they could get a good young player with many years of cheap service under control in exchange for him. Not one year of Hemsky at $5 mil. That was my point. The two sides of that scale are not even in the same universe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->