Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Y'All Got Any More of Them Trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The way our defense is shaping up as well as our wings, we won't get past Anaheim. They need more than a Williams/Jagr to put them past Anaheim.

Considering that our roster was completely healthy for most of the year (save Nurse) and the Ducks were still the better team even as they started to get banged up...

Yeah that 2 point difference in the standings and the fact they fluked their way past us in the second round largely because of terrible calls on clear GI penalties? They were so head and shoulders above us :shakehead. Our wings lost one guy who did jack squat in the playoffs. Other then the Sekera injury we are in a good spot to repeat last years success.

North

Jun 25, 2009
:laugh:

I'm not saddened by the lost of Eberle. That was addition by subtraction. I have nothing against re-signing Russell. I just hate the term. 3 years too long.

As for the Flames. Gaudreau, Backlund, Monahan, Tkachuk, Gio, Brodie, Hamilton and if they are Hamilton, is nothing to laugh about. That's an impressive group of talent.

Not without it's flaws though.

Gaudreau may be the new Eberle. One dimensional winger.

Monahan can score but he's too slow to be effective defensively.

Gio is 33 and locked into a long term high value contract and his play has been degrading.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Arizona trades for Hjalmarsson. The return may or may not light this place up even more. . .

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The time is now, you hope that there is a cup in Edmonton those 3 years so who cares if he leaves after that?

This is a no brainer of a trade for me. But with the Russell signing its gone now.

I disagree. Our cup window starts now, and will continue as long as we have McDavid, and that's probably going to be his whole career. We can't make decisions to hurt our future just to try and go all in for the next three years

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
We really need a poll for the Eberle trade and the (rumoured) Russell signing... so that 6 months down the road those of us who like those deals can more easily spot those who need their noses rubbed in their mistaken opinions. :)

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Lucic came because of money. Benning/Cagguila were found because thankfully some of our scouts aren't completely incompetent.

Russell came when no one else wanted him. And now we're blowing huge chunks of cash on him.

Sekera was probably the one decent signing and even then his health is suddenly a question.

Don't try re-writing history, Lucic had bigger money deals on the table he came cause of McDavid, Chia, and the added bonus of being relatively close to home. Benning was by and large acquired because of Chia who was familiar with him in his time in Boston. Caggiula wasn't much of a secret about half the league was pursuing him offering him a contract, but good for our scouts I guess that they were on the smart side of things.

A bunch of teams approached Russell with contracts, so the interest was there, but him and his agent were greedy and priced themselves out of the market, we circled back around to him later, when the interest had mostly dried up cause teams had already filled out their rosters.

Sekera was the best available d-man on the market that year and we got him and we should be happy to have him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think you conveniently left out another group of people...

Not really, no. Like two of you have attempted to make an argument for why you like Kris Russell and it winds up being something absurd, like the Oilers record without him.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hjalmarsson/Methot would indeed have been good additions to the Oilers.

Hopefully Chia can pick up one more good dman somewhere though this summer.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
:laugh:

I'm not saddened by the lost of Eberle. That was addition by subtraction. I have nothing against re-signing Russell. I just hate the term. 3 years too long.

As for the Flames. Gaudreau, Backlund, Monahan, Tkachuk, Gio, Brodie, Hamilton and if they add Hamonic, is nothing to laugh about. That's an impressive group of talent.

Trying to be objective here, but IMO I'd consider that group average at best when compared to the rest of the league. Certainly not bad, but not in the top 1/3 of the league either.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Not really, no. Like two of you have attempted to make an argument for why you like Kris Russell and it winds up being something absurd, like the Oilers record without him.
Lol, what a load of bs.

I tried to discuss Russell yesterday. You and another poster completely missed the point and instead took multiple personal shots at me instead of actually refuting what I posted. This place is toxic in the offseason.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

So claiming that because Russell signs this year there is no way the Oilers can ever improve the team, win a cup, this means the defense will be worse than last year for the next 4 years guaranteed and that we should fire Chiarelli is all sane thought?

You left out the bat**** crazy group that thinks the world is ending. And the others that think they know more than everyone else.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I figured if Hjalmarsson was going to be traded there would be significant cap-savings on the deal, doesn't appear to be the case.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Whaaat we couldn't have matched that?

Who do we give up? Bear and Jones? Pulju and Benson? We need these guys down the road. Once we have our prospect pool filled and we are developing tons of guys, then we can offload a few here and there. We aren't like Arizona where they stock-piled for YEARS on prospects.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Coyotes got it gooood. Literally traded 2 nobodies for a good dman

Connor Murphy, aside from the games he played against the Oilers, wasn't very good. Awesome against the oilers though.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Lol, what a load of bs.

I tried to discuss Russell yesterday. You and another poster completely missed the point and instead took multiple personal shots at me instead of actually refuting what I posted. This place is toxic in the offseason.

I never attacked you once. I said that post was a value-less trash heap and it was, but that's not a personal attack. That's attacking the post.

I also pointed out your attempts to frame a 47 game sample as a 320+ game sample was intellectually dishonest, and why that whole line of reasoning doesn't even begin to pass the smell test because those are 4 small samples, and Russell not being there isn't the only thing that's happening.

and the doomsday crowd melting down: "omgz Hamonic is definitely going to Calgary now! why didn't we give up 2 firsts? why does Calgary always take our guys? they're so much better than us now!"

(based on nothing whatsoever)

*Based on the two most plugged in guys in hockey kicking up a smoke signal about this potential trade and what it would cost.

Not nothing.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

What about guys in management who have actually put in the work to build a hockey resume and see the ins and outs of this team everyday. Guys like Chia and even Gretzky could not say enough good things about Russell.

But lets put more stock into posters who spend all day posting on HF as a hobby?

Again, not saying the player isn't** flawed but what do you expect from a 5'10 170 lbs dman. Its fair to criticise his game but to continuously repeat that he's a bottom pairing guy as your 'argument' is nothing but ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad