Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Y'All Got Any More of Them Trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Can't wait to strike out on UFAs again because we're giving out questionable deals to Kris Russell.

Considering that the grace period hasn't even started yet Chia is taking a huge risk if he doesn't sign any decent wingers.

Strike out on UFAs again? Where did Sekera, Lucic, Cagguila, Benning, and Russell come from?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Our last 2 mid-late 1st rounders yielded a top pairing dman and a guy who's finished top 10 in nhl scoring before.

Also look at Chiarelli and K. Gretzky's last draft together in Boston. Pastrnak at 25 is okay, no? Steal of the draft IMO.

And one of those wasn't deemed good enough by our management.

The Oilers have a dreadful track record with drafting and development and the way JP was used is only further proof of that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It would be better than ours, that's for sure.

We'll just have to be content to have far better forwards and goalies than they do. And coaching and management.

Besides, their D is only really better at offense than ours is. I think our group is better at actually defending, even if they did get Hamonic

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Hamonic is not worth two 1sts for us imo. He has a great cap hit but it's only for three years. The odds of him staying beyond then are not good. We're also pretty good at drafting lately, and in our future cap situation we will NEED some good young prospects coming in. Chia's been good about college signings but you can find better players in the first round

The time is now, you hope that there is a cup in Edmonton those 3 years so who cares if he leaves after that?

This is a no brainer of a trade for me. But with the Russell signing its gone now.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers top-end forwards and Cam Talbot will ensure the Oilers remain competitive with the Flames, but Calgary's defense is better than the Oilers without Hamonic right now.

Them adding Hamonic for picks while the Oilers pay a mint for Kris Russell is part 2 of the Griffin Reinhart/Dougie Hamilton disaster, and this time we can't make excuses about Cam Neely's grudge against Peter Chiarelli.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
What? The poster is right Gio, Brodie, Hamonic and Hamilton is a much better top 4 than ours.
Wow...I'm out. This whole narrative is whack. So lets panic and then start with the Calgary is better than us crap again.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You're letting last season 4-0 series get to your head. The Oilers could very well become the Flames ***** again like the past seasons

And you're letting the loss of Eberle and the retention of Russell cloud your judgement.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Strike out on UFAs again? Where did Sekera, Lucic, Cagguila, Benning, and Russell come from?

Lucic came because of money. Benning/Cagguila were found because thankfully some of our scouts aren't completely incompetent.

Russell came when no one else wanted him. And now we're blowing huge chunks of cash on him.

Sekera was probably the one decent signing and even then his health is suddenly a question.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Can't wait to strike out on UFAs again because we're giving out questionable deals to Kris Russell.

Considering that the grace period hasn't even started yet Chia is taking a huge risk if he doesn't sign any decent wingers.

Well considering we signed 2 highly coveted FA the past two years straight this seems unjustified IMO.
Besides who is to say a Williams/ Jagr type doesn't roll the dice on a one year deal here. Most people are in agreement that we have a good shot at the finals next year. Then there is that guy that just set the league on fire winning the trifecta at only 19. Times have changed players want to play here now.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Gio/Brodie
Hamilton/Hamonic

Klefbom/Larsson
Sekera/Russell

...Not really a huge leap there, especially with Sekera gone for god knows how long.

Fine then, but factor in Nurse/Benning who are improving every game, and I still like the Oilers all-round D, even tho I would of loved Hamonic here.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Lucic came because of money. Benning/Cagguila were found because thankfully some of our scouts aren't completely incompetent.

Russell came when no one else wanted him. And now we're blowing huge chunks of cash on him.

Sekera was probably the one decent signing and even then his health is suddenly a question.

Yep, 5 Ks right there, if you dismiss away the hits for arbitrary reasons.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well considering we signed 2 highly coveted FA the past two years straight this seems unjustified IMO.
Besides who is to say a Williams/ Jagr type doesn't roll the dice on a one year deal here. Most people are in agreement that we have a good shot at the finals next year. Then there is that guy that just set the league on fire winning the trifecta at only 19. Times have changed players want to play here now.

The way our defense is shaping up as well as our wings, we won't get past Anaheim. They need more than a Williams/Jagr to put them past Anaheim.

Considering that our roster was completely healthy for most of the year (save Nurse) and the Ducks were still the better team even as they started to get banged up...

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
There's a difference between believing the Flames may be in talks to acquiring Hamonic and convincing oneself that they will pay little to nothing to do so.

Most of the discussion is about the former.

But the latter, I feel people perpetuating that are looking for another reason to be annoyed with Chia.

Disclaimer, I don't like the Strome trade or the impending Russell contract, but he's got us out of the basement with bringing in valuable team players like Larsson, Lucic, Benning, Caggiula so I'm going to give benefit of the doubt until the season gets going.

North

Jun 25, 2009
And one of those wasn't deemed good enough by our management.

The Oilers have a dreadful track record with drafting and development and the way JP was used is only further proof of that.

I didn't mind JP getting the Leon treatment.

What I did mind was usage in the minors.

They need a coach focused on development.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Wow...I'm out. This whole narrative is whack. So lets panic and then start with the Calgary is better than us crap again.

I am not saying Calgary is better than us. I am saying if they add Hamonic, their top 4 D are better than ours. Our forwards and goaltending are better.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Fine then, but factor in Nurse/Benning who are improving every game, and I still like the Oilers all-round D, even tho I would of loved Hamonic here.

Nurse isn't shaping up to anything special and he was pretty awful after his injury.

Yep, 5 Ks right there, if you dismiss away the hits for arbitrary reasons.

Sekera was the only hit I'd consider out of those 5, especially since Darke/Benning are still unproven.

Lucic's contract is going to bite us in the ass sooner or later.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Go look at the names taken between 20-30 for the past 10 years. What percentage of them would you take over Hamonic?
22 Pittsburgh Olli Maatta
30 Los Angeles Tanner Pearson
20 Detroit Anthony Mantha
23 Washington Andre Burakovsky
26 Anaheim Shea Theodore
21 St. Louis Robby Fabbri
25 Boston David Pastrnak

And this is strickly picks 20- 30 not looking for later picks who did great (Aho, Jenner, Saad, Kucherov)

There are players to be had, but the hits are 2-3 out of every 10 picks. This is just a small sample as well.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
And you're letting the loss of Eberle and the retention of Russell cloud your judgement.

:laugh:

I'm not saddened by the lost of Eberle. That was addition by subtraction. I have nothing against re-signing Russell. I just hate the term. 3 years too long.

As for the Flames. Gaudreau, Backlund, Monahan, Tkachuk, Gio, Brodie, Hamilton and if they add Hamonic, is nothing to laugh about. That's an impressive group of talent.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Everything is awful. Nothing is good. This is the new narrative.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't buy that Russell had more leverage because of the Sekera injury. We could have waited until the interview period and talked to Hainsey, Quincey, Franson, Campbell, etc about a shorter term deal. I'm sure some will say Russell > those guys (I don't agree) but even if he is, 1-2 years for those players would have been much more preferable than 4 years and NTC for Russell...

I'd certainly like Campbell here as well on the Oilers... the chances of him coming here sound somewhere between 0 and zero. He played for peanuts on Chicago because he wanted to play there specifically and only there.

The other 3 I'd rate Quincey>Franson>>Hainsey.

I think Quincey or Franson would be decent (hopefully cheap) additions. Hainsey isn't good enough to move the needle but as a last resort he might be better than nothing... barely.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yup. Really, really annoying.

It's like people feel the need to be spiritual replacements for former posters spouting never ending negativity. Look at the Eberle trade thread. Over and over and over attacks on the trade. No ability to reason or even read the posts that were being replied to. Just re-phrasing the same bile time after time.

I'm assuming you'll be perfectly okay with the Russell deal that's going to happen that I told you about yesterday that's basically being confirmed by everyone under the sun?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

You implied that the Oilers had 'struck out on UFAs', he gave you a laundry list of players to refute that, and your reply is to give qualifiers to all of them to belittle them as acquisitions?

Seems like you're moving some goalposts because you know your point had shaky foundations to start with.

And how is Lucic coming here "for the money" relevant at all, assuming it's even true? Isn't that the main reason that the majority of UFAs go anywhere, to the team that gives them the best money/term/opportunity?

And signing Benning & Caggiula over 29 other teams involved a lot more than just scouts thinking they were good.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I forgot that the Oilers are secretly good at drafting/developing players, hence why we've dealt almost every player we've drafted in the past 10 years.

Ugh, you with this ridiculous argument again. You know all those failed picks of the past were a different scouting staff, don't you? Might as well give away all the picks because the scouts will screw them up until the end of time because.... Oilers. Doesn't matter who the scouts are, as long as they are Oilers staff they suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad