Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I was bored and checked out the comments on the SNY blog. You can see how controversial of a move trading Callahan would be. Whether we agree with it on here or not...I really wonder if the org has the balls to do something like that.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Glad to hear the figures are coming out. Now everyone knows where they are in terms of the numbers.

The hometown discount should be term, and the Rangers get the cap hit lowered at the expense of NTC/NMC.

Girardi on a 6 years @ 5.1-5.3 is more than fair. Since he's getting a year more than Bouwmeester, let's have that come in at a lower cap hit. Rangers throw in NMC, and G gets something that only big market teams can provide, yearly signing bonuses.

Cally @ 7 years @ 5.8 with NMC the first 4 years, limited NTC the last 3. Signing Bonus every year. Front loaded deal.

It's year 6 for G, and year 6 & 7 for Cally that are the concern. You can set up contract sctructures to give some wiggle room down the road.

Both these guys are leaders on the team, home grown that can set an example for the Rangers being an organization intent on winning by sacrificing a bit if the cap hit. It will be up to the Ranger brass to be a little creative in terms of deal structure to cover their *****.

Frankly I personally care about winning in the next 5 rather than hypothetical cap troubles 6 years from now, but that's just me.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Putting the demands and trade possibility is the only leverage the Rangers brass have at the moment, but I'm glad by doing so, will be taking offers from ALL teams.

Trade your players for the best return. Don't limit your partners to out West.

Brady Skjei

Aug 12, 2010
Any chance we give Brass a one year "show me" contract about at his QO or a little more? (also should say, any chance he'd take that?) It'd take him to UFA status, and if he doesn't produce enough our middle-6 center prospects look very promising. I feel like he'd ask for much more than he's worth. I don't think he's a long term solution at C, but wondering what the other opinions are.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Any chance we give Brass a one year "show me" contract about at his QO or a little more? (also should say, any chance he'd take that?) It'd take him to UFA status, and if he doesn't produce enough our middle-6 center prospects look very promising. I feel like he'd ask for much more than he's worth. I don't think he's a long term solution at C, but wondering what the other opinions are.

i think with him being an RFA we decide his fait in the summer when we gauge the FA market with Statsny.. He'll be QO to keep around incase we can't land anyone big, but if not i think he gets a 2 year deal and we go from there.. i dont think hes a long term solution either, unless something changes in the next 3-4 months.. but hes still a good option to keep around.. i think hes a solid player..

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So, who do we consider buyers right now? I would put them in two categories: definite contenders and bubble teams that will look to make a push.

Definite Contenders:
Pittsburgh
Boston
Tampa Bay
Anaheim
Chicago
St. Louis
San Jose
Colorado
Los Angeles

Bubble Teams
Toronto
Carolina
Detroit
Columbus
Ottawa
Vancouver
Minnesota

Those are the teams I think that will be looking to buy. Obviously the bubble teams could fall off and if a Montreal or a Phoenix picks it up over the next couple of games, they could re-enter the picture.

Which of those match up the best in terms of having a need and the assets to get Callahan?

(I'd say that all of them could use a Girardi - after all, who doesn't want a solid RHD? - but it sounds like the Rangers may be more confident in signing him.)

I think it be more likely your definite contender group + Vancouver. Sounds like Girardi will probably sign. Callahan less likely. These teams won't move established players who they'll need for the playoffs so the targets for us would be their better prospects and young players on the cusp. Possbile draft picks likely will be at the tail end of rounds and it's a so-so draft IMO--I'd rather look in and around the top 5 guys on their respective prospect lists.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
If we could get Coyle for Callahan, I'd look to see if St. Louis would be interested in something around Brassard and Berglund. Berglund can play LW/C.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
berglund +Stewart for Callahan+X?

we prob have to add, but i think its something to work with..

callahan is the type of player stl could use for a solid run.. and stewart is a UFA 2015 anyway so its not a bad deal..

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think it be more likely your definite contender group + Vancouver. Sounds like Girardi will probably sign. Callahan less likely. These teams won't move established players who they'll need for the playoffs so the targets for us would be their better prospects and young players on the cusp. Possbile draft picks likely will be at the tail end of rounds and it's a so-so draft IMO--I'd rather look in and around the top 5 guys on their respective prospect lists.

Unfortunately, the bubble teams have more of the really gifted young centers that I'd be interested in acquiring. (Unless Colorado/St. Louis is open to trading MacKinnon/Schwartz?) :)

Punxrocknyc19*

I was bored and checked out the comments on the SNY blog. You can see how controversial of a move trading Callahan would be. Whether we agree with it on here or not...I really wonder if the org has the balls to do something like that.

Sather did have the balls to trade Leetch although the return was not that good towards the future.. so who knows what is in Sather's head if anything is in it at all :laugh:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
berglund +Stewart for Callahan+X?

we prob have to add, but i think its something to work with..

callahan is the type of player stl could use for a solid run.. and stewart is a UFA 2015 anyway so its not a bad deal..

Stewart and Berglund are also players they could use for a playoff run.....no way their interested in that trade. If their trading those two its because for whatever reason their dropping out of the playoff race, which i dont see happening.

BarbaraAlphanse

So the plan is to trade 1 and sign the other long term. Hmm, wonder who said that would be sound logic...

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
With klein signed for four and girardi sounding likely to be coming back, does thats mean stralman is gone?

If so do you let hime walk or move him at the deadline?

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
Just from a theoretical standpoint, and ignoring contract demands (since both would want fairly large contracts), I'd trade Girardi, especially if both will be getting 5 years or more, and here's why:

Neither are elite players yet both are popular/in demand because of intangibles. Both are gamers, leaders, etc. and Girardi is a right handed D-Man who can log a ton of minutes. That's the kind of thing teams over pay for.

Callahan isn't elite either but he's probably closer to elite than Girardi. I'd also feel more confident saying a team can be a legitimately contending team with Cally as a top-6 winger than I would saying a team can be a legit contender with Girardi as a top pairing D-Man.

I think it's just in terms of asset management. If we're going to get a massive overpayment for either of them, I'd trade the less elite one and try to build something going forward. After the Lundqvist extension we can't/won't go for a full rebuild.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would be extremely happy if the Rangers were to land O'Reilly if for no other reason my last name is a derivation of his last name. I'd order a jersey for sure. That being said I think it's a pipe dream that that is going to happen this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad