Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Dorsett CANNOT play on the 3rd line, are you nuts? Guy scores 10 goals a year.

I'd keep Brad, personally.

Kreider-Step-Nash
Hagelin-Richards-
Poo-Brass-Zucc
Carcillo/Moree/Boyle/Dorsett

Whatever Callahan can return in a trade can fill the empty RW slot, as well as replace a free-agent-to-be that we would not intend on resigning

Richards needs to be bought out - he's not playing well enough to justify his contract this year (even if he is leading the team in scoring) and he'll be way overpaid for his production within a year or two. And that's WITHOUT factoring the cap penalty if he retires early.

Dorsett can play a gritty, two-way 3rd line RW (scoring 10 goals is absolutely fine for a 3rd liner), but I agree that the team is better if he's on the fourth line. Fortunately, that's where Fast comes in. Trade Cally, promote Fast - pretty simple really.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Have we discussed what his value on the trade market is?

Last year, Jagr brought back 2 medicore prospects and a conditional 2nd rounder. Derek Roy brought back a decent prospect and a 2nd rounder. Bouwmeester brought back 2 mediocre prospects, a 1st and a 4th.

On the other hand, the year before Gaustad went for a 1st. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
I think he could probably get a cost controlled winger who could replace his ES production and a first round pick. I suggested Jannik Hansen before, but I'm not sure the Canucks will be buying this year now.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm sorry but Girardi should NOT be let go of. Like said earlier, we do not have #1 RHD other than Klein, who I'm not comfortable moving from 3rd to 1st pairing in one offseason. Stralman is too mobile to play a shutdown defensive role (regardless of him being a defensive defenseman).

Sign Girardi for 6 Years @ $6M, send Callahan packing.

You can't play a shutdown role if you're too mobile? Uh, no?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Have we discussed what his value on the trade market is?

Last year, Jagr brought back 2 medicore prospects and a conditional 2nd rounder. Derek Roy brought back a decent prospect and a 2nd rounder. Bouwmeester brought back 2 mediocre prospects, a 1st and a 4th.

On the other hand, the year before Gaustad went for a 1st. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Callahan is the type of guy that coaches/management teams LOVE. He is the perfect mix of blue collar/intangibles/all around game that makes him appealing to nearly every team in the league. He's also proven he is an effective offensive player in the right role, making him even more covetable.

I am confident some team will overpay MASSIVELY for him. Like, good forward prospect + 1st.

My dream would be to pry Tatar out of Detroit, but I doubt that happens.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I think he could probably get a cost controlled winger who could replace his ES production and a first round pick. I suggested Jannik Hansen before, but I'm not sure the Canucks will be buying this year now.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Maybe a conditional pick thrown in depending on how the team does in the playoffs or if he signs with the team.

Personally? I would prefer a prospect than a cost controlled winger. We already got guys in hartford who plug into the third line right now.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Where might Callahan be traded to? I say screw the whole "Oh no, don't trade him within the division" mantra. If you can get more from a division rival, you trade him there.

With that said, does Callahan to Pittsburgh make sense?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers must not be very confident about Staal. Eddie O said during the Rangers-Hawks NBCSN pre-game show on January 8 that he didn't think Staal was re-signing with the Rangers which made Girardi a must sign in his view.

7 years. $5.4M. $37.8M. For Girardi to accept less term,the Rangers will need to increase the AAV.

He can get 7 years in the summer. He can probably more than $5.4M per for 7 years. Why would accept $5.4M for lesser term?

With Callahan,Brown got $5.875M for 8 years. Callahan wants at least 7 years for $6M. Brown got an extra year. Less money. Less term. More money. Bob McKenzie brought up Brown getting 8 on the NHL Network. McKenzie said at least 7 years for Callahan on the NHL Network.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Where might Callahan be traded to? I say screw the whole "Oh no, don't trade him within the division" mantra. If you can get more from a division rival, you trade him there.

Who you expecting in return? Crosby or Malkin?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I have to admit, I'd throw up seeing Callahan in that ****ing black jersey.

If we could get Derrick Pouliot and a 2nd for Callahan I take that and run far.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Possibly.
But what I get from the main board is they want C depth, esp. 2C

They'd give us something negligible for Brassard.

Or they might really pay major big time thru the nose for Stepan.

If the return is right.
Make the deal.

greatly improve the club.
if we are badly short a C -- and I think internal cards should be played --- but we have a fallback to buy Statsny for a real short 1-2 year deal at top $ he wants, but again, the quid pro quo for top dollar is minimal length.

We are ahead w/all assets Hawks give us for Stepan.

Ahead in what? Draft order?

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
The Rangers must not be very confident about Staal. Eddie O said during the Rangers-Hawks NBCSN pre-game show on January 8 that he didn't think Staal was re-signing with the Rangers which made Girardi a must sign in his view.

7 years. $5.4M. $37.8M. For Girardi to accept less term,the Rangers will need to increase the AAV.

He can get 7 years in the summer. He can probably more than $5.4M per for 7 years. Why would accept $5.4M for lesser term?

With Callahan,Brown got $5.875M for 8 years. Callahan wants at least 7 years for $6M. Brown got an extra year. Less money. Less term. More money. Bob McKenzie brought up Brown getting 8 on the NHL Network. McKenzie said at least 7 years for Callahan on the NHL Network.

Staal was never going to be priority though at the moment. They have plenty of time to figure out what they want to do. I think the Rangers will figure him out over the summer.

Also, bear in mind, Eddie made those comments after Staal was really struggling in the first half of the season. For a while there it looked like Staal was not going to recover from his past injuries.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Staal was never going to be priority though at the moment. They have plenty of time to figure out what they want to do. I think the Rangers will figure him out over the summer.

I dont see Staal going away personally. Everyone brings up the "he'll bolt for Carolina", but all that's going to get him is marketability. He will be much further away from a cup if that is his dream (and i would anticipate it is).

I can see him resiging here. I don't think MDZ would have been traded if Staal had plans to leave...

I'm really excited that Callahan might be traded. Fact is, he is replaceable. Girardi is absolutely not.

Now, I wonder about the other free agents that we have...

Zuccarello - #1 priority. Guy should be locked up for 5 years at minimum
Stralman - should be resigned. He won't be expensive, and there is no prospect to replace him with
Kreider - Absolutely must be resigned, locked in for 2-3 years at minimum
J. Moore - He's in AV's plans for the future, so he'll be locked up on a 2 year bridge deal
Brassard - I'd evaluate at the end of the season. Maybe keep him on a 2 year bridge deal
D. Moore - Should be, and will be resigned.
Brian Boyle - Should be, and will be resigned.
Carcillo - Send back to the minors so we don't keep our 7th round pick, then send him packing at the end of the season
Pouliot - I'd evaluate at the end of the season, worth maybe another 1 year deal

Just my guesstimations

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Callahan is the type of guy that coaches/management teams LOVE. He is the perfect mix of blue collar/intangibles/all around game that makes him appealing to nearly every team in the league. He's also proven he is an effective offensive player in the right role, making him even more covetable.

I am confident some team will overpay MASSIVELY for him. Like, good forward prospect + 1st.

My dream would be to pry Tatar out of Detroit, but I doubt that happens.

I was about to say that I think you're bound for disappointment when saying someone will overpay massively... but then a good prospect and a 1st isn't a massive overpayment... so nevermind.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I was about to say that I think you're bound for disappointment when saying someone will overpay massively... but then a good prospect and a 1st isn't a massive overpayment... so nevermind.

Well, I think it is for the Callahan we've seen this year.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Well, I think it is for the Callahan we've seen this year.

The only problem is that with the right team and style: Cally can be a REALLY good player. He just doesn't fit in a transitional puck possession system.

Put him on a hard forechecking/defensive team, he will make a big impact. Course, he will probably fall apart within 3-4 years in that environment. But what does it matter? If its to a contender you will at least get 2-3 cup runs out of it.

You got to think a team like St.Louis will give pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad