Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Just from a theoretical standpoint, and ignoring contract demands (since both would want fairly large contracts), I'd trade Girardi, especially if both will be getting 5 years or more, and here's why:

Neither are elite players yet both are popular/in demand because of intangibles. Both are gamers, leaders, etc. and Girardi is a right handed D-Man who can log a ton of minutes. That's the kind of thing teams over pay for.

Callahan isn't elite either but he's probably closer to elite than Girardi. I'd also feel more confident saying a team can be a legitimately contending team with Cally as a top-6 winger than I would saying a team can be a legit contender with Girardi as a top pairing D-Man.

I think it's just in terms of asset management. If we're going to get a massive overpayment for either of them, I'd trade the less elite one and try to build something going forward. After the Lundqvist extension we can't/won't go for a full rebuild.

You don't think a contending team would love a Girardi type player as a top pairing D-man? Right handed D-man, plays good defense, can log a lot of minutes, generally scores 25-30 points a year, etc. I'm not saying he's a #1, but he's definitely a #2.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was bored and checked out the comments on the SNY blog. You can see how controversial of a move trading Callahan would be. Whether we agree with it on here or not...I really wonder if the org has the balls to do something like that.

Callahan is a good player, but most casual fans see a gritty player and a guy that announcers (even national announcers) faun over and think he's a superstar.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
With klein signed for four and girardi sounding likely to be coming back, does thats mean stralman is gone?

If so do you let hime walk or move him at the deadline?

Stralman for Klein is a major downgrade. That would suck if he's moved.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Just from a theoretical standpoint, and ignoring contract demands (since both would want fairly large contracts), I'd trade Girardi, especially if both will be getting 5 years or more, and here's why:

Neither are elite players yet both are popular/in demand because of intangibles. Both are gamers, leaders, etc. and Girardi is a right handed D-Man who can log a ton of minutes. That's the kind of thing teams over pay for.

Callahan isn't elite either but he's probably closer to elite than Girardi. I'd also feel more confident saying a team can be a legitimately contending team with Cally as a top-6 winger than I would saying a team can be a legit contender with Girardi as a top pairing D-Man.

I think it's just in terms of asset management. If we're going to get a massive overpayment for either of them, I'd trade the less elite one and try to build something going forward. After the Lundqvist extension we can't/won't go for a full rebuild.

If we are talking asset management, Girardi is the best right handed defenseman on the team now and next season. Callahan is the 3rd best right wing on the team, now and going forward. Furthermore the Rangers have multiple RWs on the cusp of breaking into the NHL who should be able to play 3rd line minutes in place of Callahan, whereas the right handed defensemen in the system are nowhere near ready to replace Girardi's minutes. So from an asset management perspective you sign Giradi and trade Cally.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Callahan is a good player, but most casual fans see a gritty player and a guy that announcers (even national announcers) faun over and think he's a superstar.

But they watch the game and often disregard stats! If coaches, announcers say he's a superstar player, it's true!

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Stralman for Klein is a major downgrade. That would suck if he's moved.

Agreed, but I really dont think they can keep all the D. If they sign girardi @5.5, stralman @2.3 and moore @ 1 (all low side # IMO) and in the goalies that's $ 30m of the cap gone

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If we are talking asset management, Girardi is the best right handed defenseman on the team now and next season. Callahan is the 3rd best right wing on the team, now and going forward. Furthermore the Rangers have multiple RWs on the cusp of breaking into the NHL who should be able to play 3rd line minutes in place of Callahan, whereas the right handed defensemen in the system are nowhere near ready to replace Girardi's minutes. So from an asset management perspective you sign Giradi and trade Cally.

Thank you kind sir. Very accurate

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

This and additional problem is that if Stralman leaves also we have Klein, McI, and offside either Moore or Allen as depth. Haven checked FA to see if there's a decent 2nd pairing RH option but doubt it. Hate to see Cally go but we need to retain our D first and see about that 2nd line LW or C first. Question is whether we keep him for a run or trade him for a substantial return I imagine. Blast away.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
This and additional problem is that if Stralman leaves also we have Klein, McI, and offside either Moore or Allen as depth. Haven checked FA to see if there's a decent 2nd pairing RH option but doubt it. Hate to see Cally go but we need to retain our D first and see about that 2nd line LW or C first. Question is whether we keep him for a run or trade him for a substantial return I imagine. Blast away.

That's not a question at all, if they aren't planning on signing him, they have to trade him. The reality is that I don't think this current team playing AVs system will miss Cally all that much. Also, I don't think this team with Callahan beats the Bruins or the Pens in a 7 game series either.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That's not a question at all, if they aren't planning on signing him, they have to trade him. The reality is that I don't think this current team playing AVs system will miss Cally all that much. Also, I don't think this team with Callahan beats the Bruins or the Pens in a 7 game series either.

Not sure about that. Right now we have 3 lines that are at least fairly dangerous. Callahan missing from Brassard and Hagelin's line and replaced by who exactly? Miller? Fast? Somebody we get back for him? It's very likely to have a real impact. That's not saying that I'm against moving him if there's no reasonable deal on a contract for him to be made. The Rangers are not going to be better for the rest of this year in his absence though.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not sure about that. Right now we have 3 lines that are at least fairly dangerous. Callahan missing from Brassard and Hagelin's line and replaced by who exactly? Miller? Fast? Somebody we get back for him? It's very likely to have a real impact. That's not saying that I'm against moving him if there's no reasonable deal on a contract for him to be made. The Rangers are not going to be better for the rest of this year in his absence though.

Personally, I think Fast could step in for Cally and the team wouldn't miss a beat. We've already seen that he can play extremely solid defense and his offense has really been picking up for HFD lately. Meanwhile Cally's already missed significant time and his absence didn't really seem to impact the team. If it happens, I see MZA and Nash getting more time (has anyone else noticed Nash starting to get limited PK time?) and Fast earning his way from an initial 10-12 minutes per game to 15-16 by season's end.

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Brassard, J. Moore, Boyle, Kristo, 2nd for ROR, Mitchell, Heard?

Roy gets a player that he can really motivate in Brassard. COL wants and needs mobile LD. Boyle is pending UFA, Mitchell is pending UFA. Teams trade as COL need's Boyle's size down the middle in the West.

Mitchell is a known quantity that fits this system better than Boyle. Better skater, and puck handler. PK, Shot Block. Better skater, head and hands than Boyle and fills same role. Fits this team better I think.

ROR is what he is.

Conor Allen replaces J. Moore. I think Allen can handle those minutes. Moore has to make himself untradable with his play.

Mitchel Heard is a fast skating, hard working grinder in the mold of a young Prust. Hits hard. Played with JT Miller in Juniors, always stood out. Home grown 4th liner. LW. Plays hungry.

Last edited:

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

No, of course they won't be better. But the loss won't nearly be as devastating as it was in years past under Torts is all I was saying.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I would be absolutely devastated if Callahan was traded. Been my favorite player since I really started watching. My head says it's a good idea, but damn... I don't want it to happen.

Punxrocknyc19*

Brassard, J. Moore, Boyle, Kristo, 2nd for ROR, Mitchell, Heard?

Roy gets a player that he can really motivate in Brassard. COL wants and needs mobile LD. Boyle is pending UFA, Mitchell is pending UFA. Teams trade as COL need's Boyle's size down the middle in the West.

Mitchell is a known quantity that fits this system better than Boyle. Better skater, and puck handler. PK, Shot Block. Better skater, head and hands than Boyle and fills same role. Fits this team better I think.

ROR is what he is.

Conor Allen replaces J. Moore. I think Allen can handle those minutes. Moore has to make himself untradable with his play.

Mitchel Heard is a fast skating, hard working grinder in the mold of a young Prust. Hits hard. Played with JT Miller in Juniors, always stood out. Home grown 4th liner. LW. Plays hungry.

im a big fan of Heard... i dont want Mitchell back. id love McGinn on this team though. big fan of 3rd liners that can score 15 goals consistently and provide energy and fight when the time is right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad