Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
As Tawnos and RGY stated in the last thread I could 100% see Sather wanting to reunite Thornton and Nash.

If it is 5 years or less it may turn out to be a better option than Stastny. But still a classic Ranger move that I fully expect to backfire.

But I can absolutely see it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I doubt Thornton leaves SJ, but if he did, I would have no problem with signing him. His last 3 contracts have all been 3 year deals and at age 35 (July 2nd), he won't be looking for more than 4-5 years.

I'd give him 4 years @ 7 mil. Takes him to age 39. And since he turns 35 on July 2nd, he won't count as a 35+ contract (have to be 35 as of June 30th). Signing him would give us the time to find a younger replacement and also allow us to trade Brassard. 3rd line center will still be an issue, but hopefully Miller or Lindberg will be ready for that spot next year.

If he isn't available, I say keep Brassard as the short term solution and do whatever we have to do to get a young center with high end potential.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Trxjw said:
I've never seen any indication that they're on an internal budget. I doubt Sakic and Roy would take part in that organization with a restriction like that on the budget.

The indicators I'm going on is what their payrolls have been the last few years combined with about a 10-15% drop in revenue compared with 2005. Of course, the team hasn't been very good over that span, so ownership might give the green light to start spending again as the rebuild takes hold, which it seems like it is.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Kenjets I agree re: RNH business there is no way Edmonton moves him or could the Rangers afford him. You are looking at McD for RNH.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
As Tawnos and RGY stated in the last thread I could 100% see Sather wanting to reunite Thornton and Nash.

If it is 5 years or less it may turn out to be a better option than Stastny. But still a classic Ranger move that I fully expect to backfire.

It makes too much sense given Sather's track record.

Since he loaded up on Columbus players, it only makes sense that he unites arguably the 2 most skillful guys in the league that haven't won a damn thing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It makes too much sense given Sather's track record.

Since he loaded up on Columbus players, it only makes sense that he unites arguably the 2 most skillful guys in the league that haven't won a damn thing.

(Playing Devil's Advocate) When they play together, they win Olympic gold, so...

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I doubt Thornton leaves SJ, but if he did, I would have no problem with signing him. His last 3 contracts have all been 3 year deals and at age 35 (July 2nd), he won't be looking for more than 4-5 years.

I'd give him 4 years @ 7 mil. Takes him to age 39. And since he turns 35 on July 2nd, he won't count as a 35+ contract (have to be 35 as of June 30th). Signing him would give us the time to find a younger replacement and also allow us to trade Brassard. 3rd line center will still be an issue, but hopefully Miller or Lindberg will be ready for that spot next year.

If he isn't available, I say keep Brassard as the short term solution and do whatever we have to do to get a young center with high end potential.

That's pretty much how I see it - but they really, really, really should be looking at getting one or more (what a concept!) stud center prospects in deadline deals for Girardi and Cally.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I dunno. I always hear that the Sharks are ready to move on from Thornton, but it never happens. I think he'll re-up with them on a 2 year deal.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Maybe, if Sweden wins the Gold, he'll bring over the 33 year old Jimmie Ericsson.

I should've clarified with "haven't won anything in the NHL"

Nash at least was in Columbus for a decade. Its unbelievable that Thornton hasn't been at least to the finals.

Anyway, its just makes too much sense from a Sather standpoint. Buy-out Richards, sign Thornton. Quick, big name, lazy.

BarbaraAlphanse

I dunno. I always hear that the Sharks are ready to move on from Thornton, but it never happens. I think he'll re-up with them on a 2 year deal.

I can see Detroit being a destination he goes to.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Nash at least was in Columbus for a decade. Its unbelievable that Thornton hasn't been at least to the finals.

Anyway, its just makes too much sense from a Sather standpoint. Buy-out Richards, sign Thornton. Quick, big name, lazy.

It does make sense. As for Thornton's lack of SCF appearances... it's really pretty amazing. He's kinda underperformed. 79 points in 97 playoff games for them. It's not horrible, but for a PPG player during the regular season, it's definitely a drop. Not much of a difference in his assists per game numbers, but he scores about half as many goals per game.

I understood what you meant... I was really just joking around.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Thornton will be 35 this summer. I wonder how long of a deal he wants from SJ.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Nick Kypreos reported last week SJ was close to re-signing both Thornton and Marleau for the same money they are making now for the next 4-5 years. If you look at the Rangers cap situation,they have some decisions to make. $21M in Nash,Hank and McD. Add $12M for Girardi and Callahan. Richards replacment if they go that way will get $7M. $40M in six players. Add $14M in Staal,Stepan,Klein,Hagelin and Dorsett. 11 players. $54M. 3 arb players in Kreider,Zuccarello and Brassard. How much for all 3? $10M? More? Say its $10M. $64M in 14 players. $560,000 for Talbot. 15 players. John Moore. How much in a 2 year bridge? $1.5M-$2M. $66M plus in 16 players. $71M cap. Leave $1M to operate the team. Fill out the roster. Doesn't include Stralman or any of the 4th liners. No improvements. If the Rangers wanted to give Kreids a long term deal instead of their standard 2 year bridge,they really don't have the space.

nikonsniper*

In dreamland though, its fun to think of Joe setting up Nash on the Powerplay. Kinda like Backstrom-Ovenchicken in washington.

johnnydollaz89*

Isn't Thornton on the verge of an extension with the Sharks?

Vidic15*

Nick Kypreos reported last week SJ was close to re-signing both Thornton and Marleau for the same money they are making now for the next 4-5 years. If you look at the Rangers cap situation,they have some decisions to make. $21M in Nash,Hank and McD. Add $12M for Girardi and Callahan. Richards replacment if they go that way will get $7M. $40M in six players. Add $14M in Staal,Stepan,Klein,Hagelin and Dorsett. 11 players. $54M. 3 arb players in Kreider,Zuccarello and Brassard. How much for all 3? $10M? More? Say its $10M. $64M in 14 players. $560,000 for Talbot. 15 players. John Moore. How much in a 2 year bridge? $1.5M-$2M. $66M plus in 16 players. $71M cap. Leave $1M to operate the team. Fill out the roster. Doesn't include Stralman or any of the 4th liners. No improvements. If the Rangers wanted to give Kreids a long term deal instead of their standard 2 year bridge,they really don't have the space.

This pretty much says it all. Richards out, one of Statsny or Thornton in. Only 1M left to round out roster. That's assuming, of course, one of Statsny or Thornton actually makes it to free agency. This team is built for playoff revenue, not the Cup.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
In dreamland though, its fun to think of Joe setting up Nash on the Powerplay. Kinda like Backstrom-Ovenchicken in washington.

Except I don't think I've ever seen Nash pound home that kind of one timer. Not really his game. I isn't think Thornton would make Nash better; Nasn is what he is. He does most of it himself. His game isn't really conducive to "help" and he doesn't have the vision for quick give and goes or bait and switches.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What do people think of Niskanen? I don't know what he will be valued at on the open market but he moves the puck well, RD, still young @ 27. I know he is getting some points by association playing on the Pens, but could he come in and give the Rangers more puck movement, say, if Stralman leaves?

johnnydollaz89*

What do people think of Niskanen? I don't know what he will be valued at on the open market but he moves the puck well, RD, still young @ 27. I know he is getting some points by association playing on the Pens, but could he come in and give the Rangers more puck movement, say, if Stralman leaves?

How long is he signed for or is he due for a contract? Not sure what it would take to pry him out of Pittsburgh, honestly, could see them parting ways with Letang before they do Niskanen. He's look good on their top PP unit, albeit he plays with all world class.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Niskanen is a UFA after this year. Id actually take him over Stralman if Girardi is staying. Gives the defensive corps a little more dynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino