Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Also Backlund wants something like 5x5. I go 5-6 years at 5-5.5M per happily. Our centre depth becomes insane then.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

TheRealChuckWoods

Jan 20, 2018
Zach Smith anyone?

He may be on the way out the door this deadline.

Contract isnt a concern considering his role and the Leafs need for a vet center in the future with Moore being less than impressive and Bozak likely not returning.

Could be an ideal player in a bottom 6 role for a Babcock system.

Would also allow Babcock to ease up on on feeling he needs to play Martin for that similar element.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Zach Smith anyone?

He may be on the way out the door this deadline.

Contract isnt a concern considering his role and the Leafs need for a vet center in the future with Moore being less than impressive and Bozak likely not returning.

Could be an ideal player in a bottom 6 role for a Babcock system.

Would also allow Babcock to ease up on on feeling he needs to play Martin for that similar element.

I think we'd be outbid but i'd do something like Martin and a 2nd for Smith.

If that is done i'd turn around and deal Bozak for as much as possible. Better to gamble on Backlund or even Tavares this summer though?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Matt Martin contract looks worse by the day. I'm not going to say I told you so but... I guess I just did. We've played 2 of our better games of the last 2 months since he's been sitting and replaced by Kapanen. Also, nobody DIED since our enforcer hasn't played... wow...

I hope Lamoriello can find a team looking for a 8-10 minute player making over 2M.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The Matt Martin contract looks worse by the day. I'm not going to say I told you so but... I guess I just did. We've played 2 of our better games of the last 2 months since he's been sitting and replaced by Kapanen. Also, nobody DIED since our enforcer hasn't played... wow...

I hope Lamoriello can find a team looking for a 8-10 minute player making over 2M.

Doesn't his salary drop after July 1st? Shouldn't be too much of an anchor.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Doesn't his salary drop after July 1st? Shouldn't be too much of an anchor.

It drops to 2.25M for 18-19 and then 1.75M for his last year. Cap hit remains the same, which is more important for the majority of teams.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Matt Martin will be in 1st game back. Unfortunately our coach is terrified of being shown to have been wrong on someone, so despite playing 2 great games Matt Martin will be back and Kap will be unfairly in the AHL again before you know it. Babcock has bought his own hype so if something else seems to be better it cant be because babs wants martin in the lineup so therefore that is the right decision

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matt Martin will be in 1st game back. Unfortunately our coach is terrified of being shown to have been wrong on someone, so despite playing 2 great games Matt Martin will be back and Kap will be unfairly in the AHL again before you know it. Babcock has bought his own hype so if something else seems to be better it cant be because babs wants martin in the lineup so therefore that is the right decision

Kappy deserves to remain in the lineup. Since he can kill penalties if Babs feels the need to dress Martin, perhaps Martin can spell Leo.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Kappy deserves to remain in the lineup. Since he can kill penalties if Babs feels the need to dress Martin, perhaps Martin can spell Leo.

count me in man, kapanen for me in current level of development already makes Leo redundant. What leo adds in PK ability kapanen beats him in every other facet of the game, and his PK ability is good as well. I think we need to trade Leo now. Martin comes in for tough games, which in todays NHL is about 1 in 5 games he should not be an every night guy

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Like I said before, Kapanen has Grabner all over him. Someone that may not reach his draft pedigree skill potential per say but his speed and tenacity will really go along way. He's obviously skilled and I do think we haven't seen the best of him yet there, but I still think his bread and butter will be how he's so fast and can really make defenders look bad.

Not sure he's someone we should trade. I feel like he'll be very important going into next season. We need more speed and skill on our PK.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For those worried that the Leafs can not trade Martin if they do not want, Ryan Reaves was traded for A LOT, and he is far more a pure enforcer than Martin ever was.

Martin is a much better player but still just as good in the toughness department, and teams still want toughness for their lineups.

Sure the salary is an issue but it's one the Leafs can easily work around. Martin makes 2.5 for 2 more years, Reaves was only 1.125 for one more year.

Maybe Matt Martin for Carl Hagelin. Pittsburgh loses Reaves to FA this year, they take an extra year of 2.5 mill on a better tough guy to protect Crosby in exchange for more speed for the Leafs, which everyone apparently wants. Hagelin can move to the top 9, or play on the 4th line. Leafs can use Rychel for toughness, since he has more skill, but can still lay hits and fight if necessary. He's not Martin, but he's good enough to warrant the trade off.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Hagelin/Rychel/Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Hagelin/Rychel/Leivo-Gauthier/Aaltonen-Soshnikov/Aaltonen/Johnsson
Some of the Marlies above who do not make the team and can not go down.

I'd just trade Komarov. Martin can easily replace the offense and toughness himself, and Kapanen can replace the PK and defense (and of course the offense as well). Regardless of the center, the 4th line could probably play 10 minutes a night: Martin-Gauthier/Moore-Kapanen

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would entertain trading Leo but not for less than a 2nd round pick. Anything less and I'd rather hang onto him for the playoffs.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Like I said before, Kapanen has Grabner all over him. Someone that may not reach his draft pedigree skill potential per say but his speed and tenacity will really go along way. He's obviously skilled and I do think we haven't seen the best of him yet there, but I still think his bread and butter will be how he's so fast and can really make defenders look bad.

Not sure he's someone we should trade. I feel like he'll be very important going into next season. We need more speed and skill on our PK.

I like that comparison. Grabner is a pretty valuable asset for the Rangers. Too bad he didn't produce much when he was here.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For those worried that the Leafs can not trade Martin if they do not want, Ryan Reaves was traded for A LOT, and he is far more a pure enforcer than Martin ever was.

Martin is a much better player but still just as good in the toughness department, and teams still want toughness for their lineups.

Sure the salary is an issue but it's one the Leafs can easily work around. Martin makes 2.5 for 2 more years, Reaves was only 1.125 for one more year.

Maybe Matt Martin for Carl Hagelin. Pittsburgh loses Reaves to FA this year, they take an extra year of 2.5 mill on a better tough guy to protect Crosby in exchange for more speed for the Leafs, which everyone apparently wants. Hagelin can move to the top 9, or play on the 4th line. Leafs can use Rychel for toughness, since he has more skill, but can still lay hits and fight if necessary. He's not Martin, but he's good enough to warrant the trade off.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Hagelin/Rychel/Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Hagelin/Rychel/Leivo-Gauthier/Aaltonen-Soshnikov/Aaltonen/Johnsson
Some of the Marlies above who do not make the team and can not go down.

I'd just trade Komarov. Martin can easily replace the offense and toughness himself, and Kapanen can replace the PK and defense (and of course the offense as well). Regardless of the center, the 4th line could probably play 10 minutes a night: Martin-Gauthier/Moore-Kapanen

How about sending him back to the Isles? They have a ton of early picks in this year's draft. Or perhaps HoSang if Leafs feel they can turn his attitude around.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dreger: I'd be shocked if Lamoriello hasn't called Jackets about Jack Johnson

Which is weird because just last week McKenzie said he didn't see a fit.

Considering our LHD depth and how good Dermott looks, and Borgman isn't that bad either... I don't see the point of getting another LHD bottom pairing defenseman.

Makes no sense anymore.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, he doesn't give much insight in the interview. Almost like saying "I'd be shocked if Lamoriello hasn't called Sens about Karlsson".

Dreger is a professional HF poster at this point. "I wonder if the leafs would be interested in x" "id be shocked if the leafs haven't called about x".

Reactions: Daisy Jane

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How about sending him back to the Isles? They have a ton of early picks in this year's draft. Or perhaps HoSang if Leafs feel they can turn his attitude around.

Well we'd have to find the right fit. There is a possibility he could return a good pick. I mean besides his contract, he still is a quite valuable asset.

However I would count on having to either take salary back of some sort or not getting as high of a pick as Reaves got.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leo is the one guy we can't trade for the PO. As Babcock said he can throw him around at random times and on random lines to bolster D. It sounds like he could just become odd job Leo.

This team can however take the loss of JVR or Bozak. I am honestly not worried if Kapanen is in for JVR, completely confident with that and Leivo in the event of an injury

Reactions: rumman

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I've been saying this since 20 games into last season, and even in the off-season people were defending the contract/player.

Don't see any defense anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad