Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Would never happen, but we could sign some UFA's to 1 year deals next year before Matthews/marner extensions kick in, and really go for a run without losing assets.

JVR (6M) Matthews (0.925) Marner (0.900)
Marleau (6.25) Kadri (4.5) Kapanen (0.900)
Sedin (5) Sedin (5) Nylander (6)
Hyman (2.25) Vermette (1.5) Brown (2.1)
Martin (2.5)

Rielly (5) Carlson (7)
Chara (5.5) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Gardiner(4.05) - Hainsey (3)

Andersen (5)
McElhinney (0.8)

Cap Hit Comes in at 78 Million

Realistically the only UFA's I could see us pursuing are JVR, Carlson, and maybe cheap depth, and sedins and chara are unlikely to leave their current teams

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Leivo is puzzling for sure. I always assumed it was things they saw in practice/off ice that they didn't like but then they went and extended him.
maybe you got something about his play in practice? Because he hasn't gotten a fair chance in games that's for sure.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The fans would do it. Management wouldn't.
we'll see in the weeks ahead what direction the rebuild is taking, stay the course of screw the rebuild lets go for it at the cost of no return on impending UFA's.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I would be ok signing Thornton on a one year deal to take over for Bozak. Resign JVR and sign another dman.

Brown-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Kadri-Marner
Marleau-Thornton-Kapanen
Hyman-Gauthier/Alttonen-Leivo/Sosh

Reilly-UFA
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The idea that the project is over if we keep our UFAs is maybe the largest load of horse****, and the most severe dose of panic in this fanbase

Who's pushing it to that extreme? The consensus just seems to be get what you can while we aren't contending. The percentage of people who are that crazied by this seems pretty small.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
NYR such a smart team. Looking to move valuable assets even while in the running for PO spot.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The idea that the project is over if we keep our UFAs is maybe the largest load of horse****, and the most severe dose of panic in this fanbase

It absolutely doesn't mean that it's over. What it means is we are flat out stupid and willing to give ground to other teams that will make such decisions and become better for it. It doesn't matter if such teams use proceeds to trade for upgrades or draft, the point is that they will be getting better by injecting assets into their organization.

Reactions: rumman

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
NYR such a smart team. Looking to move valuable assets even while in the running for PO spot.
Tampa as well last year. And one of their players (Boyle) was traded directly to the team they were in a dogfight with.
Bishop,Boyle,Drouin...time to move on.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Would never happen, but we could sign some UFA's to 1 year deals next year before Matthews/marner extensions kick in, and really go for a run without losing assets.

JVR (6M) Matthews (0.925) Marner (0.900)
Marleau (6.25) Kadri (4.5) Kapanen (0.900)
Sedin (5) Sedin (5) Nylander (6)
Hyman (2.25) Vermette (1.5) Brown (2.1)
Martin (2.5)

Rielly (5) Carlson (7)
Chara (5.5) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Gardiner(4.05) - Hainsey (3)

Andersen (5)
McElhinney (0.8)

Cap Hit Comes in at 78 Million

Realistically the only UFA's I could see us pursuing are JVR, Carlson, and maybe cheap depth, and sedins and chara are unlikely to leave their current teams

We are going to have millions in bonus overages counting against the cap next year. You'd have to pass on Chara or a twin.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Brown-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Kapanen
Komarov-Moore-Hyman

That's decent but I would go 1 step further and trade Bozak to give Willy 3rd line C. Also move Moore and Komarov or let them walk/be a 13th forward.

Brown - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Leivo
JVR - Nylander - Kapanen
Martin - Aaltonen - Hyman

That looks really good to me and gives a few guys some opportunity to shine.

Then move Gardiner in a package to try to acquire that top pairing RHD we need so badly.

Reilly - X
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Liljegren

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
There is an absolute chasm of difference between the calculated decision to throw in the towel when on the bubble (outside looking in) and weakening your team when you're comfortably in a divisional playoff spot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The death of heavy hockey - Article - TSN

Thought it was somewhat relevant given the suggestion of a Ritchie for Kapanen trade.

Very interesting article, and good warning for team building.

Speed and skating are so important in today’s NHL, slow moving heavy guys just can’t keep up - those Oilers players in particular look painful on the ice sometimes (as does Polak)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Doesn’t surprise me - considering what they tried with Harmonic during the summer too

Issue is they’re likely trying to use JVR as their main trade chip and only teams in need of offense would be interested
Then you turn JVR into something that fits the equation. But that might be too late now.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Tampa as well last year. And one of their players (Boyle) was traded directly to the team they were in a dogfight with.
Bishop,Boyle,Drouin...time to move on.

some differences.
1; if they know said player is not going to sign w/them - it's easier to cut bait
2: if you know that you have no cap space for said players, it's easier to cut bait

so, if you feel that having ___________ here (it doesn't have to be leafs/their UFA), or you feel you can get a deal done, then it's not 'time to move on'.

(and w/Drouin, i think once he sat out, refused to report, and then Montreal gift-wrapped a top 4 defenseman in their lap, it was v. easy to make that deal. no one is doing that for us).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
some differences.
1; if they know said player is not going to sign w/them - it's easier to cut bait
2: if you know that you have no cap space for said players, it's easier to cut bait

so, if you feel that having ___________ here (it doesn't have to be leafs/their UFA), or you feel you can get a deal done, then it's not 'time to move on'.

(and w/Drouin, i think once he sat out, refused to report, and then Montreal gift-wrapped a top 4 defenseman in their lap, it was v. easy to make that deal. no one is doing that for us).

I’m on the fence about trading the Leafs guys, but with the Leafs situation, I’d say the signs are pointing to none of the UFAs returning next year. Which would more or less put them in the same situation as Tampa was, no?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m on the fence about trading the Leafs guys, but with the Leafs situation, I’d say the signs are pointing to none of the UFAs returning next year. Which would more or less put them in the same situation as Tampa was, no?

What do you do to replace JVR Bozak Komarov and other UFA. Do you have a plan and the players to replace them for next season? Is your solution to trade for players you need? Is your solution to bring in UFAs? I am curious what you think is best and you can of course sign JVR Bozak or whoever but you need to be realistic and not say something like JVR for 5m.

It just seems to me you either lose them now with a return or you suck it up, get a low percentile chance at a cup an then take a step back next year. I would rather take the step back this year and go for next with new toys in the cupboard.

Reactions: rumman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What do you do to replace JVR Bozak Komarov and other UFA. Do you have a plan and the players to replace them for next season? Is your solution to trade for players you need? Is your solution to bring in UFAs? I am curious what you think is best and you can of course sign JVR Bozak or whoever but you need to be realistic and not say something like JVR for 5m.

It just seems to me you either lose them now with a return or you suck it up, get a low percentile chance at a cup an then take a step back next year. I would rather take the step back this year and go for next with new toys in the cupboard.

If I were to guess, I think they may try and sign a UFA centre like Backlund or Big Joe, and just let younger wingers take over for Leo and JVR.

Management has to decide if they want to gamble on trying to push for a deep cup run now vs the potential assets they could bring back in a trade. Signs seem to be pointing toward them keeping all three for the playoffs though I think/would prefer considering they’re going to have to figure out how to play without these guys anyways they should consider trading at least one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad