Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Jack Johnson would be arguably the 4th best LD on this team... No fit here.

To be honest, the only move I'd look for at the deadline is for a 4C, or OEL.

Anything else isn't worth the assets. Would be interested to see if we could trade Bozak/JVR, but if we don't get some real value keep them for the playoffs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leo is the one guy we can't trade for the PO. As Babcock said he can throw him around at random times and on random lines to bolster D. It sounds like he could just become odd job Leo.

This team can however take the loss of JVR or Bozak. I am honestly not worried if Kapanen is in for JVR, completely confident with that and Leivo in the event of an injury

If the offer is right I would move any of the three. Having said that, I see JVR is the most valuable of the three and is not easily replaceable at the TDL. The guy has sweet hands when he is interested.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Jack Johnson would be arguably the 4th best LD on this team... No fit here.

To be honest, the only move I'd look for at the deadline is for a 4C, or OEL.

Anything else isn't worth the assets. Would be interested to see if we could trade Bozak/JVR, but if we don't get some real value keep them for the playoffs.

IMO we need to get Polak out of the lineup more than Moore. Start with a speedier Polak. Anything else is a bonus.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If the offer is right I would move any of the three. Having said that, I see JVR is the most valuable of the three and is not easily replaceable at the TDL. The guy has sweet hands when he is interested.

Who takes up the slack defensively for Leo? I can't even think of anyone that can patrol like Leo.

Kappy may not score as much for JVR but he won't quit on plays and adds more D element. For that JVR can go, Kappy in and no real loss to this team.

Bozak is a little but more tricky unless you experiment, but they could do the Nylander Marleau split or even run Komarov in Bozak place, Komarov plays C well.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
IMO we need to get Polak out of the lineup more than Moore. Start with a speedier Polak. Anything else is a bonus.

The players like Polak (except good) are diminishing. Basically you have Manson, Gudas, Zadorov, Larsson, McNabb, and then a bunch of shit like Borowiecki, Gudbranson, k. Miller, Schenn, Polak, Orpik, Russell, Emelin.

I get the desire for a player like that, but unless you have a guy who can play hockey while being a complete asshole (like those 5 guys listed up top), there's no reason for them.

Carrick is a more than suitable choice to replace Polak. He's better in every way and has shown to have fantastic underlying stats beside all of Gardiner, Dermott, and Borgman.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Who takes up the slack defensively for Leo? I can't even think of anyone that can patrol like Leo.

Kappy may not score as much for JVR but he won't quit on plays and adds more D element. For that JVR can go, Kappy in and no real loss to this team.

Bozak is a little but more tricky unless you experiment, but they could do the Nylander Marleau split or even run Komarov in Bozak place, Komarov plays C well.

Who replaces who depends on who is traded and for what. I don't think Lou is moving any of our UFAs. We will need Martin and Leo to deal with Marchant and the Bruins.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The players like Polak (except good) are diminishing. Basically you have Manson, Gudas, Zadorov, Larsson, McNabb, and then a bunch of **** like Borowiecki, Gudbranson, k. Miller, Schenn, Polak, Orpik, Russell, Emelin.

I get the desire for a player like that, but unless you have a guy who can play hockey while being a complete ******* (like those 5 guys listed up top), there's no reason for them.

Carrick is a more than suitable choice to replace Polak. He's better in every way and has shown to have fantastic underlying stats beside all of Gardiner, Dermott, and Borgman.

Carrick can be characterized as a good player on a short leash by the coach. He doesn't even have his 300 games yet. Very good #6 D to have.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Who replaces who depends on who is traded and for what. I don't think Lou is moving any of our UFAs. We will need Martin and Leo to deal with Marchant and the Bruins.

We can both probably agree that as far as minutes where JVR and Bozak have been on lately, its been pretty lack luster. All performance has come from Jake Gardiner / Marner being utilized properly and Matthews line clicking again.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The players like Polak (except good) are diminishing. Basically you have Manson, Gudas, Zadorov, Larsson, McNabb, and then a bunch of **** like Borowiecki, Gudbranson, k. Miller, Schenn, Polak, Orpik, Russell, Emelin.

I get the desire for a player like that, but unless you have a guy who can play hockey while being a complete ******* (like those 5 guys listed up top), there's no reason for them.

Carrick over Polak is a viable option but will Babs choose it ? If Lou finds a better RHD for Babs, I can't see Babs playing Polak over him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Carrick over Polak is a viable option but will Babs choose it ? If Lou finds a better RHD for Babs, I can't see Babs playing Polak over him.

From interviews and usage I think its safe to say Babcock has gained respect for him.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site

I've advocated the Nylander/Marleau split. Marleau's still a good defensive player, so this could be a good mentorship.

Also, I don't think that it's worth getting rid of Leo. What would the return be? Probably not a lot. He's more of an intangibles and leadership type of player. I'd actually like him brought back in a limited role. Fourth liner.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've advocated the Nylander/Marleau split. Marleau's still a good defensive player, so this could be a good mentorship.

Also, I don't think that it's worth getting rid of Leo. What would the return be? Probably not a lot. He's more of an intangibles and leadership type of player. I'd actually like him brought back in a limited role. Fourth liner.

Exactly. While not producing his contract goes way down, possibly under 2m and I think he is worth it for 2-3 yrs.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
People get too worked up about Insiders.

GMs/Asst GMs/Others in front offices talk to each other. That's pretty obvious. They are probably constantly talking to other teams, sometimes those talks get leaked to Insiders by accident, sometimes it's planted. So what's wrong with Dreger/Friedman, etc. reporting what they hear?

Obviously the majority of it will be wrong, because trades are pretty rare these days, but that doesn't mean a discussion didn't happen. They are rarely straight out proven wrong, they don't put E5's on their reports and then they don't happen, they are reporting on what they have heard. Unless we were in the room, or tap a GMs phone, we can't prove a discussion did not take place.

I'd rather have a discussion based on speculation from Dreger, than dissect what's wrong with one-sided trade ideas, or the countless Josh Manson proposals made by posters last year.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Leo + Martin as 2 fixtures on the 4th line will spend their entire season in their own end.
Bozak won't be traded at the deadline as Marleau doesn't love C, and Babs does not trust Nylander there.
Jvr was 6'3 and a 30 goal scorer coming into this season as well, so why have they not talked contract with him once?
The home town discount probably had an expiry date.

Really don't get the hate on JVR, he is a scorer and he scores. Just bc the Leafs have not resign him doesn't mean he is not part of the plan. Leafs have not extend with Willie either.
Think having Leo as the 4C with Kap and Sosh could be really interesting.
As for Bozak, if an offer is a 1st rounder or 2 2nd rounder, Leafs should take it and run.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Really don't get the hate on JVR, he is a scorer and he scores. Just bc the Leafs have not resign him doesn't mean he is not part of the plan. Leafs have not extend with Willie either.
As for Bozak, if an offer is a 1st rounder or 2 2nd rounder, Leafs should take it and run.

Its not about hate of JVR at all. Its about getting a return in the hopes of adding a Lilj or Tolvanen level prospect into farm or better still a second Dermott in the 2nd round. I could care less if they do the math and figure they can get a good deal on him come July.

Its a long term play. That's all.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

I don't hate JVR. I'd prefer to keep him over Gardiner long term. I just don't think that's in the plans.

Difference between Nylander and JVR is the Leafs get to negotiate with Nylander all summer if they'd like. With JVR they have a July 1st deadline, and he'll be able to talk to every team in the league before then.

Per reports, there has been zero talks so far, and JVR has been planning for what's to come once July 1st rolls around - all indicators that it's not looking likely that he'll be here long term.

There is also the fact that he's 9th among fwds in ES TOI, and does not get used in OT anymore. Not really signs that he's Babcock's fav forward. Do Leafs want to commit 6 x $6m to their 9th most important fwd at ES? Where will JVR's ice-time be 3 or 4 years from now?

Before Brown hit the 4th line again a month or so ago, JVR was 10th in ES TOI.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Carrick can be characterized as a good player on a short leash by the coach. He doesn't even have his 300 games yet. Very good #6 D to have.

In his games with the Leafs he's excelled in a top-6 role, and shown enough competence in a top-4 role. He's only 23(?) too.

He should choose it. We let up less shots, less hd chances, and have a lot more going the other way when Polak isn't on the ice.

Seems like a no brainer to me the guy needs to sit in the press box.

Reactions: thewave

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Carrick is fairly effective at what he does and there's no reason for Polak to play over him at any time. I wouldn't be surprised if Carrick did just as good on the PK as Polak does and I suspect the PK numbers would be the same with or without Polak there.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Carrick is fairly effective at what he does and there's no reason for Polak to play over him at any time. I wouldn't be surprised if Carrick did just as good on the PK as Polak does and I suspect the PK numbers would be the same with or without Polak there.

Carrick has looked better the last few games... If he can keep it up then maybe he's finally rounding the corner.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Polak has been in the lineup for what? 20 + games in a row? Polak isn't coming out and I doubt for the playoffs either. Hyman,Brown,Hainsey,Polak,Komarov are the coaches comfort zone.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Letting a 30 goal scorer go for nothing is nuts. But we might.

I would try to get a first and a prospect and see who shakes out in the summer. Lots of UFA d on bad teams this year.

Gardiner and 2 firsts for an upgraded D would look good

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Babcock just feels safe with Having polak back there. Unless we get someone just like him who is slightly better (So a Gubrandson for example), I just dont see Polak coming out.

I personally liek Carrick over Polak too. If only Carrick was a couple of inches taller and and couple of pounds heavier, he would be our Polak

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Babcock just feels safe with Having polak back there. Unless we get someone just like him who is slightly better (So a Gubrandson for example), I just dont see Polak coming out.

I personally liek Carrick over Polak too. If only Carrick was a couple of inches taller and and couple of pounds heavier, he would be our Polak

He's not, so it would have to be someone else.

And typically when you are a good and reliable defenseman, your coach does play you. Especially when a lot of your lineup is young or simply just unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad