Proposal: Trade proposal thread - Trades are Needed---Who goes 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A Hockey News writer's thoughts on trade value re Pacioretty vs. RNH, from Dec. 7th:

"Both players have popped up often in trade rumor mills of late, but that doesn’t mean they’re natural fits for the teams in question here.

Let’s start with Pacioretty. First off, to the best of my knowledge, the rumors about him weren’t borne out of any real negotiations happening between Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and other teams. They were tied to the doom and gloom accompanying the Habs’ terrible start while goalie Carey Price was injured. I believe the first person to suggest a Pacioretty trade was Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. We live in an era where speculation sometimes gets mistaken for actual information – and that’s no knock on Nick at all. I’ve caused the same stir in this very blog. A few weeks back after suggesting an Alex Galchenyuk-for-Sami Vatanen swap, I saw headines sprouting up with stuff like “Ducks a destination for Galchenyuk?” when the idea was purely from my brain. So just because someone suggests a trade doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

Since Price returned from injury Nov. 25, the Habs are 5-1-1. Considering they play in the weak Atlantic Division, there’s no reason for them to throw in the towel, especially since doing so would mean Bergevin admitting his roster blueprint was a failure, which he won’t do, as that would put him in the firing crosshairs. The Habs have already climbed back into a playoff spot in the Atlantic. They rank 26th in the NHL in goals per game and thus need their captain Pacioretty, who is their best pure goal scorer. He’s criminally underrated. Over the past five seasons, only Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Joe Pavelski and Vladimir Tarasenko have more goals than ‘Patches.’

So if Bergevin decides to deal someone that important, the return better be significant, and Nugent-Hopkins wouldn’t be nearly enough. ‘The Nuge’ is a solid player, a shifty secondary center with good two-way skills, but he has not realized the potential he showed when the Edmonton Oilers drafted him first overall in 2011. Montreal should only deal a player of Pacioretty’s ilk if he returns the thing they need most: a true, dominant No. 1 center. Nugent-Hopkins isn’t an upgrade over Jonathan Drouin, so why trade for Nugent-Hopkins? Bergevin is better off holding ‘Patches’ and perhaps taking a run at John Tavares this summer if he goes to market.

And if Montreal’s early-season struggles manifest as a second-half slump, then Bergevin can reconsider putting Pacioretty on the block. He’d attract a ton of interest.

The idea makes much more sense on the Edmonton side. The natural thinking is “goal scorer to play with Connor McDavid,” I presume, or at least a way to add scoring depth to a team that really misses Jordan Eberle in its top six. The biggest problem for the Oilers forwards this season has been a lack of speed – more specifically, a lack of someone who can keep pace with McDavid’s peerless wheels. Pacioretty has good albeit not elite speed and would be an interesting pairing with No. 97. But if Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli wants that deal, it’ll cost much more than just ‘The Nuge.’"

Ask Me Anything: Who would fit better on the Leafs…Doughty or Karlsson? | The Hockey News

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
RNH would be an upgrade over Drouin at centre.

Patches is not far more valuable than RNH.

Imo.

Reactions: Riggins

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not the best article I've ever read. For one, Montreal was playing horribly before the Minnesota game, and mounted somewhat of a recovery with Lindgren. They've also gotten slapped around by the west the last 3 games with a healthy Price. Things change fast when you're depending on the frailty of your division for your playoff hopes. I knew that article was a week old without checking the date. We're 2 points out of a playoff spot, and the team in front of us has 4 games in hand.

The reason we should trade Patches is not for a #1 C: that's a trade that won't happen. The reason is that we've seen enough of this core. It's time to convert a mature asset to contribute to the next core, since this one ain't winning shit.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
A Hockey News writer's thoughts on trade value re Pacioretty vs. RNH, from Dec. 7th:

So if Bergevin decides to deal someone that important, the return better be significant, and Nugent-Hopkins wouldn’t be nearly enough. ‘The Nuge’ is a solid player, a shifty secondary center with good two-way skills, but he has not realized the potential he showed when the Edmonton Oilers drafted him first overall in 2011. Montreal should only deal a player of Pacioretty’s ilk if he returns the thing they need most: a true, dominant No. 1 center. Nugent-Hopkins isn’t an upgrade over Jonathan Drouin, so why trade for Nugent-Hopkins? Bergevin is better off holding ‘Patches’ and perhaps taking a run at John Tavares this summer if he goes to market.

And if Montreal’s early-season struggles manifest as a second-half slump, then Bergevin can reconsider putting Pacioretty on the block. He’d attract a ton of interest.

The idea makes much more sense on the Edmonton side. The natural thinking is “goal scorer to play with Connor McDavid,” I presume, or at least a way to add scoring depth to a team that really misses Jordan Eberle in its top six. The biggest problem for the Oilers forwards this season has been a lack of speed – more specifically, a lack of someone who can keep pace with McDavid’s peerless wheels. Pacioretty has good albeit not elite speed and would be an interesting pairing with No. 97. But if Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli wants that deal, it’ll cost much more than just ‘The Nuge.’"

Pacioretty the winger isn't worth a true dominant No. 1 center. Centers are just harder to find than scoring wingers. That just shows how blissful the hockey news writers can be some times. I agree however that a utility center like RNH isn't a fit here, unless you sign him to a reasonable contract and he plays 3rd-2nd line like Eller used to.

That all said, this article sinks as it goes. Patches does not possess elite speed? Do the inches he's missing really matter? He's not a fit because Oilers aren't fast enough and lack speed? I guess Chiarelli must be dumb to try to find a dman right?

Lets just trade them Byron & Petry for RNH & Jones :laugh:

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Stole this from the Sharks board. They are going nowhere fast and their core is aging so not much different than Montreal and also considering what it'll take to win a cup.
Of the last 9 Stanley Cup Winners, only one of them didn't have back to back top-5 draft picks.

The team that didn't had a 35 year old journeyman goaltender that lost his starting job the year before put up the greatest playoff performance of all time.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
RNH would be an upgrade over Drouin at centre.

Patches is not far more valuable than RNH.

Imo.
I agree, maybe two years ago but not now. They better move him before the rest of the league figures out he's done.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Nugent-Hopkins isn’t an upgrade over Jonathan Drouin, so why trade for Nugent-Hopkins?

- Nuge IS an upgrade over Drouin - at center.
- Max isn't going to return that dominant 1st line center in a trade, so they have to aim a notch below.
- Drouin to wing improves Drouin.

If Patch is that much better than Nuge, then just have them add - 1st, Yamo, ...

If the Habs have a better offer elsewhere, then go for it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

"Both players have popped up often in trade rumor mills of late, but that doesn’t mean they’re natural fits for the teams in question here.

Let’s start with Pacioretty. First off, to the best of my knowledge, the rumors about him weren’t borne out of any real negotiations happening between Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and other teams. They were tied to the doom and gloom accompanying the Habs’ terrible start while goalie Carey Price was injured. I believe the first person to suggest a Pacioretty trade was Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. We live in an era where speculation sometimes gets mistaken for actual information – and that’s no knock on Nick at all. I’ve caused the same stir in this very blog. A few weeks back after suggesting an Alex Galchenyuk-for-Sami Vatanen swap, I saw headines sprouting up with stuff like “Ducks a destination for Galchenyuk?” when the idea was purely from my brain. So just because someone suggests a trade doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

Since Price returned from injury Nov. 25, the Habs are 5-1-1. Considering they play in the weak Atlantic Division, there’s no reason for them to throw in the towel, especially since doing so would mean Bergevin admitting his roster blueprint was a failure, which he won’t do, as that would put him in the firing crosshairs. The Habs have already climbed back into a playoff spot in the Atlantic. They rank 26th in the NHL in goals per game and thus need their captain Pacioretty, who is their best pure goal scorer. He’s criminally underrated. Over the past five seasons, only Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Joe Pavelski and Vladimir Tarasenko have more goals than ‘Patches.’

Ask Me Anything: Who would fit better on the Leafs…Doughty or Karlsson? | The Hockey News

I like reading articles like this because it gives you the view from outside the Montreal "bubble" and gives a less bias view of what players perceieved values are, for better or for worse.

Personally, I completely agree that a one for one trade of Patches for RNH is not a good trade for us. Patches is a consistent top 5 goalscorer for the past 5 years and that is worth a LOT in a league where goals are at a premium. A package based around those two names would makes sense but it would have to include a good young player/prospect to come our way which Edm may not want to give up, especially given they may not even make the playoffs so they're unwillingness to give up a top young asset is understandable. Ultimately, they'll have to trade RNH as it doesn't make sense to keep a 3rd line centre at $6M per and another $20M+ in your top 2 centres. It also behooves montreal to trade Patches before his contract as he will not be worth the money he'll demand on his next contract. Trust is time is now for both teams to make a deal whether it's with for each other or not.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'd rather trade Pacioretty for a blue chip centre and a 1st round pick.

I agree. It depends on your definition of blue chip obviously, but I would like to get my hands on Robert Thomas and first from the Blues. Now, having said that, I don't know if the fit is good on their end.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Part of me was hoping for a one-for-one swap with Barzal a few weeks back. Now we'd have to add to Patch for the Isles to even entertain the idea.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Part of me was hoping for a one-for-one swap with Barzal a few weeks back. Now we'd have to add to Patch for the Isles to even entertain the idea.

Anybody accruing Patch for 2 years (with potential of re-signing) is looking to add to their roster and send prospects and picks the other way because they feel they are cup contenders. Forget about acquiring a talent like Barzal. Better off looking at the World Junior rosters for each team and see if you can snag someone before they show their potential at the NHL level like Barzal has this season.

Patch for 18 or 19 year old prospect plus 1st round pick. If you can get more great! If you can't get more, the prospect better be good with lots of potential.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Respectfully disagree, rnh is not worth patches ! A perennial 30+ goal scorer for a small 2nd line center i dont get some peoples thought process in here

trade value is not determined by past accomplishments.....how many goals does patch have this year?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Respectfully disagree, rnh is not worth patches ! A perennial 30+ goal scorer for a small 2nd line center i dont get some peoples thought process in here

I think the contract term is a big factor between Patch and RNH. This extra 2 years that RNH has is important. Habs make this trade but the Oilers don't and it has more to do with future assets vs what they have accomplished so far.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
trade value is not determined by past accomplishments.....how many goals does patch have this year?

What has happened in the past does matter, it shows what he is good at SCORING GOALS ! what the heck does RNH have on paches besides being a center...patches is worth a lot more sorry if you cant see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad