Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Sir John Tavares.. please save us edition)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Disagree, I'd add any prospect not named Sergachev. This is the only chance that you can get a franchise #1 C. I would change a top 6 winger for a #1 C every time.
So you trade them Chuck and then JT doesn't sign with you when the year's up.

Then what?

Better make sure you can talk to him first. If you can and you can agree on say 9.5 per year (it's going to probably take something like that) then I don't think it makes sense to give up Chuck. Younger, less expensive and there are other options.

If the Isles want prospects? Great, we've got tons of those. But this doesn't make us that much better and we need to make a move that REALLY improves us.

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
This could totally smell of a Chucky for Tavares swap . I wonder how much more we would have to give .

A whole lot more. Can't you see the difference? Tavares is a real center and a leader as well as a big scorer. His trade value is much, much higher than Galchenyuk's. The only thing I'd be concerned about is Tavares's willingness to sign a long time contract with the Habs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You ain't kidding. 11 goals and 11 assists for 22 points in 24 games.

This is what you're looking for. Guys who turn it on during the post-season. Though we can agree that he also turns it on in the regular season.

And his linemates were trash (Okposo was his best linemate). This guy is a force.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I doubt there will be offers better than Galchenyuk + decent prospect. Not many teams have a 23 year old 30 goal scorer that they would be able to include in the deal. There better be some discussion with Tavares before hand though about a contract. I wouldn't want to give him much more than $8.5 (same as Stamkos).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So you trade them Chuck and then JT doesn't sign with you when the year's up.

Why would they let him walk away? They can offer the extra year, they can offer a team that will always spend to the cap, they can offer a team that will contend for at least a few years, they can offer an arena that is always full, he'd be a god, and he'd have a plethora of endorsements.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
This thread is reminding me of the Lecavalier trade threads from 2009, some people wanted to give up Subban+++ for Lecavalier, even though Tampa Bay had no leverage.

All right so here goes,

Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Sergachev, 1st 2017, 1st 2018, Lehkonen for Tavares and a 2nd in 2019.

This is just soooo bad for the Habs Why would we do this?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I doubt there will be offers better than Galchenyuk + decent prospect. Not many teams have a 23 year old 30 goal scorer that they would be able to include in the deal. There better be some discussion with Tavares before hand though about a contract. I wouldn't want to give him much more than $8.5 (same as Stamkos).

No offense to Stamkos but he's not on Tavares's level, look at who JT's been playing with throughout his career. PAP literally owes his NHL career to JT, he'd have way less money in his bank account if it wasn't for him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So Subbans contract, Tavares contract, Prices contract and Paciorettys contract. Yup we can afford that.

The Habs have 1.7 million in cap space now. Remove Desharnais and Parenteau and save 5 million that way, that makes 6.7 million in cap space. Add a modest 4 million to the cap between now and the start of the 2019 season (Tavares' and Price' next contract), that makes 11.7 million in cap space. Remove Plekanec and Emelin, you're up to 21.8 million in cap space. Assume Radulov's salary stays the same.

21.8 million in cap space can buy you Price's salary increase, Tavares contract (who replaces Plekanec's roster spot), whoever takes Desharnais and Emelin's roster spot, and the salary increases to Beaulieu and Galchenyuk.

Because 3 + 9 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 4 = 20 < 21.8.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Would this trade (without trading Sergachev) work for Tavares: Galchenyuk + Lindgren + next 2 1st + Juulsen + Plekanec

Then sign Shipachev

Emelin taken at the expansion draft

Next year:

Pacioretty - Tavares - Gallagher
Byron - Shipachev - Radulov
Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - McCarron - Mitchell

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Sergachev - Benn

Price

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Would this trade (without trading Sergachev) work for Tavares: Galchenyuk + Lindgren + next 2 1st + Juulsen + Plekanec

Then sign Shipachev

Emelin taken at the expansion draft

Next year:

Pacioretty - Tavares - Gallagher
Byron - Shipachev - Radulov
Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - McCarron - Mitchell

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Sergachev - Benn

Price

That's too much for Tavares. The move will be done in the off-season so we give up way too much for one year of JT.

I want Tavares as much as the next guy. But I'm not emptying my prospect cupboard for him. I'm not giving them Galchenyuk AND Lindgren AND Juulsen AND 2 first rounders.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
That's too much for Tavares. The move will be done in the off-season so we give up way too much for one year of JT.

I want Tavares as much as the next guy. But I'm not emptying my prospect cupboard for him. I'm not giving them Galchenyuk AND Lindgren AND Juulsen AND 2 first rounders.

What if there was an agreement for a contract extension for Tavares?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad