If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
They have $20m in cap space this summer with only Swayman and Debrusk to re-sign. Make the Ullmark trade and they likely fill some of those roster holes with guys early on the payscale.

I'm not sure they can stay in the hunt every year, but they'll be a good team for quite a while. Tough to see them committing to a full on rebuild.
Does Swayman accept less than 7?

They can retool pretty quick I'd think

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Boston is losing the series due to their own stupidity, The mental game was lost a game a go.
Too many low IQ players on the team. Some of them their best.

I think he gets 7. They need to trade Zacha and spend $1.25M more on DeBrusk.
Zacha on the verge of setting record for moat minutes played in SCPO before scoring first goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No. You have a fantastic young to prime-aged top-4 D corps with McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, and Lorhei. You have an excellent starting goaltender in Swayman and an elite forward in Pastrnak. Coyle and Zacha are fine in a 2C/3C role.

Trade Ullmark for a good top-6 C, acquire another middle-six C for a pick like Granlund, move Zacha to wing, and you’re back in business. They do need to make some moderate changes (especially at center) and find a way to compensate for Marchand’s decline, but they can re-tool and be fine.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
No. You have a fantastic young to prime-aged top-4 D corps with McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, and Lorhei. You have an excellent starting goaltender in Swayman and an elite forward in Pastrnak. Coyle and Zacha are fine in a 2C/3C role.

Trade Ullmark for a good top-6 C, acquire another middle-six C for a pick like Granlund, move Zacha to wing, and you’re back in business. They do need to make some moderate changes (especially at center) and find a way to compensate for Marchand’s decline, but they can re-tool and be fine.
No point in letting DeBrusk walk and keep Zacha. Use 1.25M more of Zacha $$ and resign DeBrusk and trade Zacha.

Zacha 0 goals in 17 PO games with Boston. DeBrusk has like 9 in last 17.
Why are u investing in Zacha over DeBrusk?

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What's to blow up?

Trade Marchand, Pastrnak, Swayman or McAvoy... nope.

This was supposed to be a transition year and it is.

Bunch of cap space next year, good young core developing, they're killing the retool.
Retool is coming with like 6 UFAs on the roster. Marchand has 1 year left at $6 mill and he's outperforming that cap hit. He's not at $11 mill like Tavares or something.

Gave up a lot of futures the past 2 drafts with the Lindholm and Bertuzzi trades. Can't afford the luxury of the 2 goalie rotations with Ullmark and Swayman. Best to move Ullmark to get some assets back.

$21 mill in cap space. If they move Ullmark and extend Swayman remain close to that $20 mill cap space. Need something up front.

I mean, it's not like their division with FLA, TB, Tor are in great positions cap wise either. FLA has Reinhart due up. Cap friendly shows them at 14 contracts for and just $19 mill of cap room left and they've dealt like 4 straight years of 1st rounders away. And their prior 4 picks, Lundell is the regular NHLer and Knight has personnel issues he's dealing with. The other 2 guys from 2018 and 2021, are in the A still.

Reactions: Over the volcano

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Retool is coming with like 6 UFAs on the roster. Marchand has 1 year left at $6 mill and he's outperforming that cap hit. He's not at $11 mill like Tavares or something.

Gave up a lot of futures the past 2 drafts with the Lindholm and Bertuzzi trades. Can't afford the luxury of the 2 goalie rotations with Ullmark and Swayman. Best to move Ullmark to get some assets back.

$21 mill in cap space. If they move Ullmark and extend Swayman remain close to that $20 mill cap space. Need something up front.

I mean, it's not like their division with FLA, TB, Tor are in great positions cap wise either. FLA has Reinhart due up. Cap friendly shows them at 14 contracts for and just $19 mill of cap room left and they've dealt like 4 straight years of 1st rounders away. And their prior 4 picks, Lundell is the regular NHLer and Knight has personnel issues he's dealing with. The other 2 guys from 2018 and 2021, are in the A still.
By trading Zacha and signing DeBrusk for probably 1.25M more than Zacha
they get good value from a known quantity.

That leaves you with 18.5M in space.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Every team should always blow things up, because the chances that what you're doing will work is always less than 50%. You have to get a McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov type, but even if you have one, look at the Caps. They had Ovechkin, but it wasn't until they had 3 C's playing at the top of their game that they won. And won in a year that was a cap crunch. It was 2016 and 2017 when they were supposed to contend in the last years of the Ovechkin era, not 2018. But 2018 was when they had Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Eller playing their best hockey ever, along with Brett Connolly and Devante Smith-Pelly scoring for no particular reason whatsoever. Why in that year did either of those guys ever score a playoff goal? DSP at least had a run with the Ducks a few years before that, but you couldn't count on him to score a goal. He's not that guy. Except for that playoff year, when he's a 25 goal scorer in the playoffs all of a sudden.

Reactions: I am not exposed

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

If Swayman gets $7m, $5m of that is coming from Ullmark's contact because you're not paying a guy $7m to be a split starter.

The Bruins need to be smart with the cap moving forward, but they'll have quite a bit of it available.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
They are going to ride it out and hope they hit on some draft picks and free agents. It would be moronic for them to invest draft capital to bolster their line up at any of the forseeable deadline however.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nah. Lysell should be ready to come up and contribute next year, and they should be able to get a decent forward for Ulmark. They've got a nice D, a vg goalie, a star winger, a vg winger (Marchand), some nice depth forwards. Just need a bit more scoring oomph and creativity, I think.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Blow what up? With the exception of Marchand they are all really young. The last core window closed a few years ago, this is a totally new group. They are definitely several pieces away (most notably at C) but not sure what there is to blow up since pretty new group

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I’m sure this has already been said after 5 pages, but this year was supposed to be a bridge type year for us, a bunch of us have been surprised that they have done what they have already. They’ve been able to lock up a bunch of young players and will have a bunch of cap space and assets heading into next season. We all hope they can do more this year, but we’re not kidding when we say they’ve exceeded expectations and are sort of playing with house money.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
They'll pick up two of the most sought after free agents this summer and be fine for next year.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Note the question, not "WILL" they blow it up, which is a very different question, but should they? They obviously got very close to winning the whole thing in 2019 (lost in Game 7 at home as a favorite to St. Louis)

Since then:

2019-20: Lost second round to Lightning (4-1)
2020-21: Lost second round to Islanders (4-2)
2021-22: Lost first round to Hurricanes (4-3)
2022-23: Lost first round to Panthers (4-3)

Notable retirements: Zdeno Chara, David Krejci, Tuuka Rask, Patrice Bergeron

Brad Marchand turns 36 years old tomorrow (May 11th).

Right now the series with Florida is FAR from over. Obviously if they come back, they should not do anything from a blow it up standpoint.. However, if Florida ultimately does prevail, is the writing on the wall that Boston's sustained period of contention is over? In which case, should they make an attempt to salvage what they can from an asset perspective, or keep riding it out as far as it'll go?

This is a joke right? You realize that they're currently in rebuild/retool phase???? You're seriously out of touch with the state of the Bruins. These playoffs were always going to be an experience builder for the injected youth more than anything. No serious Bruins fans expected anything out of these playoffs.

Sure let them "blow up" a rebuilding team 🤣

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins are in a good position to retool. They have a good team. You don't blow that up. You make changes.

This is season one of the retool. Poitras (before injury), Lorhei and some bottom six kids worked into the lineup. Saw what they had in Coyle and Zacha in bigger roles. Pasta developed as a leader. Swayman took over the net. Now they have a pile of cash to try to address what they have learned.

Reactions: Banjo Cat

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If Florida loses to Boston, should they blow it up? If the answer is no, the same would apply to Boston.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Not sure I see much to blow up. They were in President's Trophy contention with no true 1C and 2C, and with a bunch of dirt cheap contracts due to cap considerations. Now that they will have cap space they can easily build back better than before.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree with the prevailing opinion in this thread which appears to be “blow what up”?

Of all the teams to blow up in the league, Boston is pretty far down the list. Strange take from the OP.

Behind my own team, if people want to get personal about it.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
I’m sure this has already been said after 5 pages, but this year was supposed to be a bridge type year for us, a bunch of us have been surprised that they have done what they have already. They’ve been able to lock up a bunch of young players and will have a bunch of cap space and assets heading into next season. We all hope they can do more this year, but we’re not kidding when we say they’ve exceeded expectations and are sort of playing with house money.
This! People forget this was a transition year ans nobody expected anything from this team

Reactions: NyQuil and SPV

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I think time is up for the HC. Sorry. But you can't lose 7/10 home playoff games. That's unacceptable. You get last change. Your up 3-1 twice. Consistently getting outcoached. Than again, it feels like they've been awful in the postseason at home forever.

They need major upgrades at the centre position. McAvoy is a great low end # 1 D. You need another top D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad