Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Sir John Tavares.. please save us edition)

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Come on down (or up?) Johnny.

Well Dreger is trying to drum up some trades for Garth Snow. I'm sure he'll appreciate all the backlash from irate NYI's fans about this rumor, Good Ole Darren, never a dull moment, even with a weak draft, he can create a mountain out of a molehill!!!...:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

After the Gretzky trade, fans will believe any trade is possible, Tavares would sure look good in a Habs jersey, with Pacioretty(LW) & Radulov(RW) - Tavares(C) with Weber & Sergachev on the points, with both of their bombs for shots, that would be a lethal PP for the Habs.

I'm sure Dreger is dreaming of the TML's trading for Tavares, imagine the Leaf's with Tavares & Matthews as a one-two punch at center, with Kadri as 3rd line center? WoW that's equivalent to Pittsburgh's Crosby & Malkin, maybe better.:nod::nod::nod:

I wonder if Dreger is the one who started the Radulov 8 yr. contract demand rumor Also!!!...

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Andrighetto, Fucale and a second round pick for Tavares?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Andrighetto, Fucale and a second round pick for Tavares?

If he goes at the deadline next year he won't be worth much as a rental.

Rentals never fetch a king's ransom.

At worst, it will be consecutive first rounders for Tavares.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
We may have to do same thing with Carey Price. If he wants to see what is out there
I used to think he would leave but we have a decent coach now. Price won at every level if he like it here and he think he can do win here he might sign at a hometown discount.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
"We have a trade to announce."

Crowd cheers

"The New York Islanders trade John Tavares to the Montreal Canadiens for Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Beaulieu, and the 2017 first round draft pick."

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Crowd cheers

"The New York Islanders trade John Tavares to the Montreal Canadiens for Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Beaulieu, and the 2017 first round draft pick."

I'd make that trade in my sleep and have the best dreams ever while doing it.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006

Crowd cheers

Make the pick conditional to a contract extension. If not signed, becomes a third.

Sign for 7x7, same as Price (hopefully).

Not sure they need Beaulieu. More picks or need to find other forward positions they lack depth.

I could even see McCarron in the package going back.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Please Isles, take Galchenyuk. Please.
It's not Galchenyuk's fault the rest of the team can't score. That Plekanec and Emelin are 10m wasted. That Weber cannot generate offense. That Petry plays well every other night. That Markov is on his last legs. That our PP set-up is ridiculous (in a bad way). That Radulov can't play more than 50 games in a season. That Gallagher was ice-cold for a long stretch. That Lehkonen was ice-cold for an even longer stretch. That Danault was ice-cold despite tons of ice-time.

He just turned 23, has hit 30 goals already and is playing this season at 0.8ppg as a C. He's just getting his legs back after the injury that clearly debilitated him and has something like 10 points in his last 12 games. He's so damn far from being the problem, I really don't get all this criticism.

He's a younger player, he's going to make mistakes. He's not as good as McJesus or Tavares or other super-elite rookies, his trajectory isn't as steep. Why should we get rid of a player who is constantly progressing and actually scores??

If the Isles are willing to move Tavares, that would be one thing. And yes, Chucky would probably go the other way and it would be a fair deal. But both Beaulieu and Chucky finally, for the first times in their NHL career, have a legitimate NHL headcoach. I'd rather see if they can fulfill their promise. We stuck with Carey Price and it paid off in an incredible way, maybe it's worth sticking with Chucky too.

I was criticising his usage and development for years but now that Therrien and DD are gone, we should see what's in store. And I don't think Tavares is getting moved - and if he is, why wouldn't they swap him with Duchene/Ladenskog+ and get him out of their conference while they're at it? Why wouldn't the Leafs trade one of their great youngsters+ for their prodigal son? Why wouldn't half the teams in the league not lineup and offer a treasure chest for the near-elite 1st line C that is Johnny T?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
WhiskeySeven makes a good point -- it took a very long time for Carey Price to become an elite goalie, but we stuck with him.

Price was drafted in 2005 and showed numerous flashes of brilliance from 2008 onwards. He emerged as an elite goalie in the 2014 campaign.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only way I trade Galchenyuk in a package trade for JT is a sign and trade type deal. NO WAY IN HELL I TRADE FOR JT AND GIVE UP GALCHENYUK WHO IS GOING TO SIGN A 8 YEAR TEAM FRIENDLY DEAL THIS OFF SEASON ($6.5M +/- AAV) AND JUST STARTING HIS PRIME YEARS.

The way you improve the Habs is you add to the team without major subtraction (using prospects and future picks). I get how some people want JT now and he makes the Habs better but JT becomes yet another guy who lacks offensive skills around him and his production probably goes down.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
WhiskeySeven makes a good point -- it took a very long time for Carey Price to become an elite goalie, but we stuck with him.

Price was drafted in 2005 and showed numerous flashes of brilliance from 2008 onwards. He emerged as an elite goalie in the 2014 campaign.

Price became elite in the 2014 season after Stephane Waite was hired (By MB ;)). Waite surely helped Price (to some degree) at being a consistent goalie allowing less "soft" goals. To me, the difference between an elite level NHL goalie and an average NHL goalie is consistency and not allowing too many soft goals.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Islanders should have traded him this year.

Nah this summer is the right time.

I don't think Habs get Tavares without giving up chuck in the deal.

Unfortunately bergy failed to find a 50 point second c to replace chuck.

It's his biggest mistake and Habs are ****ed at c because of it.

Subban for drai was the trade and I will always wonder how idiotic chia was for not doing it.

Not too happy with chuck right now. Not a 1 c and too valuable to trade for a 2 c.

Not happy with this.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It's not Galchenyuk's fault the rest of the team can't score. That Plekanec and Emelin are 10m wasted. That Weber cannot generate offense. That Petry plays well every other night. That Markov is on his last legs. That our PP set-up is ridiculous (in a bad way). That Radulov can't play more than 50 games in a season. That Gallagher was ice-cold for a long stretch. That Lehkonen was ice-cold for an even longer stretch. That Danault was ice-cold despite tons of ice-time.

He just turned 23, has hit 30 goals already and is playing this season at 0.8ppg as a C. He's just getting his legs back after the injury that clearly debilitated him and has something like 10 points in his last 12 games. He's so damn far from being the problem, I really don't get all this criticism.

He's a younger player, he's going to make mistakes. He's not as good as McJesus or Tavares or other super-elite rookies, his trajectory isn't as steep. Why should we get rid of a player who is constantly progressing and actually scores??

If the Isles are willing to move Tavares, that would be one thing. And yes, Chucky would probably go the other way and it would be a fair deal. But both Beaulieu and Chucky finally, for the first times in their NHL career, have a legitimate NHL headcoach. I'd rather see if they can fulfill their promise. We stuck with Carey Price and it paid off in an incredible way, maybe it's worth sticking with Chucky too.

I was criticising his usage and development for years but now that Therrien and DD are gone, we should see what's in store. And I don't think Tavares is getting moved - and if he is, why wouldn't they swap him with Duchene/Ladenskog+ and get him out of their conference while they're at it? Why wouldn't the Leafs trade one of their great youngsters+ for their prodigal son? Why wouldn't half the teams in the league not lineup and offer a treasure chest for the near-elite 1st line C that is Johnny T?

Quite frankly this applies to most everybody but certainly anyone under 24.When we got CJ the first thing I thought about was not trading any young guy until they had a chance to work with a coach who does believe development is part of his job and a coach who does not make young guys puke before games.

MB needs to clean house in the AHL as well. Bring in people who have a reputation for being able to work with and help young guys develop.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Crowd cheers

If an extension is in place, done in a heartbeat.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Crowd cheers

That move doesn't really help us. Tavares would be awesome but it's really awesome if we get him and keep Chuck.

I'd much rather empty the prospect group and a couple of first rounders.

1st rounder
2nd rounder
Sergachev
MaCcarron
Sherbek
Plekanec

We basically drain the prospect pool and go all in on Tavares but we also offset Plek's salary and suddenly an area of weakness for years becomes an area of strength at the center position. Imagine a one two punch of Tavares and Chuck there. Suddenly our goal scoring just got a whole lot better.

I'd want permission to talk with JT before making this trade though. If he's UFA at the end of next year, you'd better find out if he's going to sign with you before going all in on him like this. That's way too much to pay for a rental.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Price became elite in the 2014 season after Stephane Waite was hired (By MB ;)). Waite surely helped Price (to some degree) at being a consistent goalie allowing less "soft" goals. To me, the difference between an elite level NHL goalie and an average NHL goalie is consistency and not allowing too many soft goals.

Waite was a good hire.

Though the 20/20 hindsight brigade may deny it now, this forum was once severely divided on Price. From the time Price got the Habs eliminated in the 2008 playoffs against Philadelphia, through to his collapse in 2013 where he posted a .905 save percentage, there were many posters unsure about him and arguing that Timmins wasted the pick. I remember a thread "When is the last time Price *stole* a game???" or something like that, posters thought Price was overrated right up until the time he emerged.

Our young players are always on thin ice here. Look at how many fans are blaming Galchenyuk for the recent troubles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->