Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Sir John Tavares.. please save us edition)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Tavares is a 70+ point player, not Crosby, McDavid, Kane etc. He's an exceptional player but he's not a generational talent and wouldnt even be the best player on our team. The trade has to be commiserate with what he is and what he's shown to be and not what you hope he'll be. Not to mention he's a UFA after next year so unless he signs and trades he'll fetch even less.

As it is, the past trades for a player like Tavares has been a top young player or high end prospect, a pick and a salaried player. So something like Galchenyuk, Sergachev/Juulsen, a 1st and Plex/Emelin. That's something that I think is more likely than a lot of the trade proposals I've seen here.

Galchenyuk, Juulsen, 1st, Plek/Emelin.. sure i'd do that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tavares is a 70+ point player, not Crosby, McDavid, Kane etc. He's an exceptional player but he's not a generational talent and wouldnt even be the best player on our team. The trade has to be commiserate with what he is and what he's shown to be and not what you hope he'll be. Not to mention he's a UFA after next year so unless he signs and trades he'll fetch even less.

As it is, the past trades for a player like Tavares has been a top young player or high end prospect, a pick and a salaried player. So something like Galchenyuk, Sergachev/Juulsen, a 1st and Plex/Emelin. That's something that I think is more likely than a lot of the trade proposals I've seen here.
He's a level below the generational talent level. But he's a true superstar. He's really, really good.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Galchenyuk, Juulsen, 1st, Plek/Emelin.. sure i'd do that.
Galchenyuk is the most I'd pay. They won't get better than that anywhere else and the only reason I'd do this is because Montreal seems to be turning on Chuck. He's younger, he'll be cheaper. No way I throw in more than him.

I'd also demand to talk to Tavares before trading for him to see if he'd sign here and barring that put in two conditional 1sts (from the Islanders - not us) if Tavares doesn't re-sign with us. And even that I'm not sure I'd be willing to do.

If you trade for him and he leaves, it's a total disaster.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Galchenyuk is the most I'd pay. They won't get better than that anywhere else and the only reason I'd do this is because Montreal seems to be turning on Chuck. He's younger, he'll be cheaper. No way I throw in more than him.

I'd also demand to talk to Tavares before trading for him to see if he'd sign here and barring that put in two conditional 1sts (from the Islanders - not us) if Tavares doesn't re-sign with us. And even that I'm not sure I'd be willing to do.

If you trade for him and he leaves, it's a total disaster.

The only way i'd trade for Tavares is if there's an extension in place, like what happened w/ Hamilton for example. Usually pre-season trades for big name players come with extensions in place.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Fully agree with the rest of the post. But this is as expensive as it gets. Nevermind him being ufa the following year.

Galchenyuk(top 3 pick 1B Center), Sergachev(top 10 pick and potential first pairing) and another 1st?
For what is essentially, like you said, give or take 10 more points and a better rounded game than Galchenyuk.

MB can't deal both Sergachev and Galchenyuk or its a lateral move at best. Juulsen or just the added 1st makes more sense.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The only way i'd trade for Tavares is if there's an extension in place, like what happened w/ Hamilton for example. Usually pre-season trades for big name players come with extensions in place.
There is always the outside chance the Chuck could actually be better in the future than Tavares. He's still really young and Tavares has had some injuries. I don't see the Isles getting anything close to an offer like Chuck to be honest.

To me we shouldn't have to give him up to get him if they really want to trade him. I'd much rather pony up a package that includes Sergachev or Beaulieu if they need help now.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
There is always the outside chance the Chuck could actually be better in the future than Tavares. He's still really young and Tavares has had some injuries. I don't see the Isles getting anything close to an offer like Chuck to be honest.

To me we shouldn't have to give him up to get him if they really want to trade him. I'd much rather pony up a package that includes Sergachev or Beaulieu if they need help now.

Well when Tavares was the same age as Galchenyuk (not too long ago) he was already an established PPG player while playing with guys like Moulson and PAP.

So i'd say there's about a 0.1% chance of Galchenyuk ending up better than him.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
If they can't sign him. Galchenyuk is a really good consolation prize. Only pieces as good or better I could see would be Draisaitl and Marner.

I think he has it in him to have the same offensive output as Tavares while being 4 years younger. So for the difference Tavares has with the more complete game and slight production increase, it shouldn't cost Sergachev and/or multiple 1sts.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If they can't sign him. Galchenyuk is a really good consolation prize.

I think he has it in him to have the same offensive output as Tavares while being 4 years younger. So for the advantage Tavares has in the more complete game over him, it shouldn't cost Sergachev or multiple 1sts.

3 years younger, 2009 draft vs 2012 draft.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
No saviours, but still a better hockey club (in my opinion)

:pens

Tomas Plekanec (50% retained)

:habs

Tom Kuhnhackl + 3rd 2017

:isles

2nd 2017 (highest one)
2nd 2018
Jacob De La Rose

Brock Nelson

:devils

Nathan Beaulieu
Nikita Scherbak

Adam Henrique
John Merrill

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Henrique-Nelson-Radulov
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Kuhnhackl-Mitchell-McCarron

Markov-Weber
Sergachev-Petry
Emelin-Benn
Merrill

**LHD could swap according to performances.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He's a level below the generational talent level. But he's a true superstar. He's really, really good.

Yeah, everyone's definition may differ, but to me there's generational then there is franchise. JT is a franchise-level player. I'd put him in the same tier as Stamkos, Toews and Seguin for example. We can debate where he sits, but point is he'd be the best forward on our team immediately. Definitely a top-10 center in the league.

All this talk about Duchene, but if we're going to overpay and go all in, I'd give Snow a call before Sakic.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You are severely underrating Tavares. He's a top 5 center in the league. The only centers that are clearly better than him are Crosby, McDavid, and Malkin. You can make a case for Tavares being better than any other centers.

Also Kane has exploded when he was 27 yo (last year)
Tavares right now is 26 years old and only 3 years older than Galchenyuk.

Tavares was ppg or more in 4 of his last 6 seasons. He hasn't hit his prime yet, and he is a guy who elevates his game and score big goals (see international tournament and playoffs).
Also note that Tavares doesn't even play with good players. He is currently playing with Ladd (28 pts) and bailey (49 pts).

He hasnt played with really good players in his career, but still produced and made his teammates better (see Parenteau, Moulson, etc.)

He's that good on a weak team and no pressure environment. It makes you wonder how good he can be in a good team with pressure (he plays better with pressure).

Also Tavares would be the habs best forward. I would easily take him over Pacioretty.

I'm not. He's a level below superstar guys like Crosby, Toews, Malkin, Kopitar etc. Even guys like Scheifele and Seguin is probably consider at Tavares' level. He's defiantly a top talent at centre but if you look at a points level, he's not upper echelon and though he may be one day, so may Galchenyuk. Add a talented and cheap top tier prospect like Sergachev or to a lesser extent Juulsen and a 1st rounder and that's the general price paid for a guy like Tavares. Eriksson was the biggest component in the Seguin trade. Chia son was the biggest component in the Spezza trade to a lesser extent. Point is that star players like Tavares never (as far as I can remember) get what their perceived value would be back in a trade. It's why the team aquiring the star player almost always wins the deal. Even that prooosap is likely an overpayment for what Tavares would fetch in real life. It's probably be closer to Chucky, Beau and a salaried player or that equivalent from another team.

How many times has a star player been traded and this board is universally perplexed and pissed that we couldn't match the offer? A lot!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Tavares, imo, is not a level below Kopitar, Toews.

I'd rather have them and some others before Tavares but that's just me. I love the guy and would want him on the Habs in a heartbeat. Just trying to be as realistic as possible in what we'd offer and what Islanders would get. Chucky is no scrub and neither are the other pieces I mentioned. It's not like he'll fetch 3 1st a top young prospect +++. He's great but c'mon. Some realism is required here.

bbob

Nov 27, 2015
Habs have to be all over this and solve the #1C problem!!! Been too long... and then they can put chucks at wing & stop this C to W bs & finally let him do his thing!

NyI: Patches, Sergachev, MAC, 1st, sherback

Mtl: Taveres, leddy

The money patches would ask for goes to JT & leddy is on a good contract leaving room to sign chucks JT & price...making the Habs a true condender

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Dear hockey gods,

Please give us the center equivalent of Jesus, we've been waiting for 30 years.

Yours truly,
A habs fan who doesn't want to go bald.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'd rather have them and some others before Tavares but that's just me. I love the guy and would want him on the Habs in a heartbeat. Just trying to be as realistic as possible in what we'd offer and what Islanders would get. Chucky is no scrub and neither are the other pieces I mentioned. It's not like he'll fetch 3 1st a top young prospect +++. He's great but c'mon. Some realism is required here.

Kopitar has 830 regular season games and 75 tough playoff games under his belt at 29 years old. Toews has 710 regular season games and 124 tough playoff games under his. They won't be good forever. They are not long-term solutions. Tavares is the better player going forward.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Personally I'd rather have JT before Kopitar and Toews in terms of what Montreal needs, but do concede those two are awesome as well.

Either way, I say again if we are chasing after centers and throwing picks and Chuck into the rumors, I think we can all agree that JT >>>>> Duchene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad