Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Sir John Tavares.. please save us edition)

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
We should not overpay for 1 year of Tavares.

If it's a sign-and-trade, Galchenyuk alone will almost certainly trump all other offers.

Obviously a deal would have to be in place to extend Tavares, but not a chance the Islanders would accept a deal for Galchenyuk alone. It's not enough and don't forget he is a RFA as well.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The price would be high for one year of JT, too high for us, and I think most anybody else. Trading Galchenyuk for a year of JT is beyond terrible.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Obviously a deal would have to be in place to extend Tavares, but not a chance the Islanders would accept a deal for Galchenyuk alone. It's not enough and don't forget he is a RFA as well.

The Islanders (if they're rational) would rather have 8 years of Galchenyuk then one year of Tavares.

If they're delusional, let them lose Tavares for nothing.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
what if he signs here ? no one guarantees it's only ONE year of tavares

The habs do this if they are able to negotiate with JT and agree on an extension before the trade. Otherwise, it's a massive risk. I'd love to see JT on the habs though. My favorite player.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Throwing ideas..

:habs

Derek Stepan
Brady Skjei

:rangers

Alex Galchenyuk
Nikita Nesterov

As far as I know, Skjei is draft exempt which allows us to protect Benn and trade Beaulieu (scenario below)

:devils

Nathan Beaulieu
Tomas Plekanec (25% retained)

Adam Henrique

Pacioretty-Stepan-Gallagher
Lehkonen/Byron-Henrique-Radulov
Lehkonen/Byron-Danault-Shaw
Martinsen-McCarron-Mitchell

Skjei-Weber
Markov-Petry
Sergachev-Benn
Davidson

**Emelin taken by vegas

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The Islanders would rather have 8 years of Galchenyuk then one year of Tavares.

If they're delusional, let them lose Tavares for nothing.

Good point. I know JT says he likes it there but you have to believe he wants a shot at a cup. Swap out Chucky for JT and you know this team is a very serious contender.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd rather not trade one of the two players that can score 30 goals. Also, a trade for Tavares would hurt our roster more than help it.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Well Dreger is trying to drum up some trades for Garth Snow. I'm sure he'll appreciate all the backlash from irate NYI's fans about this rumor, Good Ole Darren, never a dull moment, even with a weak draft, he can create a mountain out of a molehill!!!...:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

After the Gretzky trade, fans will believe any trade is possible, Tavares would sure look good in a Habs jersey, with Pacioretty(LW) & Radulov(RW) - Tavares(C) with Weber & Sergachev on the points, with both of their bombs for shots, that would be a lethal PP for the Habs.

I'm sure Dreger is dreaming of the TML's trading for Tavares, imagine the Leaf's with Tavares & Matthews as a one-two punch at center, with Kadri as 3rd line center? WoW that's equivalent to Pittsburgh's Crosby & Malkin, maybe better.:nod::nod::nod:

I wonder if Dreger is the one who started the Radulov 8 yr. contract demand rumor Also!!!...

Not sure how Tavares/Matthews is equivalent to Crosby/Malkin, let alone better. I mean, who would take that duo over Crosby/Malkin? I take Crosby over Tavares and Malkin over Matthews fairly easily tbh...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What's his rank among centres in the NHL?

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Tavares / Backstrom
Matthews / Toews / Stamkos

Looks to me like Tavares is the 4th best centre in the NHL.

That's appropriate to me. Tavares is a franchise-level player IMO. It'll cost us though and if I were NYI, it starts with Sergachev and Chuck at the minimum (we'll still have to add). As much as I love JT, that cost is going to be brutal for us, but I guess it depends how the rest of the off-season fares in terms of signings and moves.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Not sure how Tavares/Matthews is equivalent to Crosby/Malkin. I mean, who would take that duo over Crosby/Malkin? I take Crosby over Tavares and Malkin over Matthews fairly easily tbh...

I'd put JT above Malkin for his two way play and I believe Mathews will get there too. Also, age. JT is still really young.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lol we never have anyone down the middle yet the same people say they wouldn't make trades for Tavares or Duchene.

I would trade anyone not named Price for Tavares.

I would trade Sergachov for Duchene in a second.

If I had to move Galchenyuk and futures for JT and Sergachov and futures for Duchene, as long as I moved Plekanec and Emelin in those deals for salary.. we would at least have the center depth to compete.

Patches-Duchene-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Tavares-Radulov
Byron-Danault-Shaw

Gotta like that.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Lol we never have anyone down the middle yet the same people say they wouldn't make trades for Tavares or Duchene.

If I had to move Galchenyuk and futures for JT and Sergachov and futures for Duchene, as long as I moved Plekanec and Emelin in those deals for salary.. we would at least have the center depth to compete.

Lehkonen-Tavares-Radulov
Byron-Danault-Shaw

Gotta like that.
That would look good but this is not NHL2017 no way you can acquire Duchesne and Tavares both. We can't even get one of them.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Depends what we pay. The guy is very young and produces with bad teammates. He is the centerman we've needed for years now.

Yes but Markov isn't going to last forever, Emelin is done and Beaulieu isn't top pairing material. If Sergachev is included then who is going to play LD? That is another hole almost as big as the ones at C. If Galchenyuk goes then we still have no 2nd line C, which means still no cup. Not to mention the demand would probably be both of those young guys together meaning we now have more holes to fill than before. Then when Tavares decides he doesn't like the media here and walks away then we are left with absolutely nothing.

This team would be much better off developing the players drafted by the organization rather than pillaging players off other teams because they don't want to do the hard work themselves. If MB is going to trade for a C, it would be much wiser to get someone like RNH without emptying the cupboards for years to come.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Throwing ideas..

Derek Stepan
Brady Skjei

:rangers

Alex Galchenyuk
Nikita Nesterov

As far as I know, Skjei is draft exempt which allows us to protect Benn and trade Beaulieu (scenario below)

:devils

Nathan Beaulieu
Tomas Plekanec (25% retained)

Adam Henrique

Pacioretty-Stepan-Gallagher
Lehkonen/Byron-Henrique-Radulov
Lehkonen/Byron-Danault-Shaw
Martinsen-McCarron-Mitchell

Skjei-Weber
Markov-Petry
Sergachev-Benn
Davidson

**Emelin taken by vegas

No idea why NJ would consider this. Also, I don't really like the NYR deal, but I can see why it would be appealing to some. Not really sure how I evaluate Skjei just yet. In any case, I don't think that NYR does it either. Emelin taken by Vegas is also something that I don't see happening.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
That would look good but this is not NHL2017 no way you can acquire Duchesne and Tavares both. We can't even get one of them.
Duchesne for Sergachev is a laughable proposal. We have to add a lot. They're going to want you know who. After this trade we have no assets left to even speak with the Islanders for Tavares.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Duchesne for Sergachev is a laughable proposal. We have to add a lot. They're going to want you know who. After this trade we have no assets left to even speak with the Islanders for Tavares.

Nor cap space.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yes but Markov isn't going to last forever, Emelin is done and Beaulieu isn't top pairing material. If Sergachev is included then who is going to play LD? That is another hole almost as big as the ones at C. If Galchenyuk goes then we still have no 2nd line C, which means still no cup. Not to mention the demand would probably be both of those young guys together meaning we now have more holes to fill than before. Then when Tavares decides he doesn't like the media here and walks away then we are left with absolutely nothing.

This team would be much better off developing the players drafted by the organization rather than pillaging players off other teams because they don't want to do the hard work themselves. If MB is going to trade for a C, it would be much wiser to get someone like RNH without emptying the cupboards for years to come.

And what it comes down to is whether or not NYI think they can resign JT. If they aren't sure, you can see why something like Chucky, prospect a 1st and a 2nd would look really good for them. I like Chucky too. Its just that JT is top 5 center in this league without a doubt.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014

Lehkonen-Tavares-Radulov
Byron-Danault-Shaw

Gotta like that.

I wouldn't sim past the resign phase in NHL.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

Not the way Duchene has been playing. When was the last time he even recorded a point? While I know what you are saying, I don't think many teams will sell their farm for Duchene.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: