Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Sir John Tavares.. please save us edition)

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Not sure we have the pieces to make that happen. What do you suggest?

Then we don't have the pieces and don't trade for him. I'm saying there isn't a point in getting rid of a 1st line player for a better 1st liner who is a rental.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
The point is to add Tavares in ADDITION to the forwards we already have. Tavares isn't going to help that much if Pacioretty or Galchenyuk are going the other way.

Pacioretty yes, Galchenyuk no. And thats as a big Galchenyuk fan. Tavares is a bonafide Superstar center who can carry a line, Galchenyuk just isnt there.

All provided you can sign Tavares

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My gut is Price will sign just above Subban's contract and will become the biggest contract in Habs history to symbolize his importance to the franchise (probably what management wants to do with him too, show him he's the best)

8Y-9.5M is what I expect.

As for Tavares, providing an extension is in work:

:isles

Alex Galchenyuk
Mikhaïl Sergachev
Brendan Gallagher
1st 2017/2018
2nd 2017

:habs

John Tavares
Josh Bailey

Pacioretty-Tavares-Bailey
Hudon-Plekanec-Radulov
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Lehkonen-McCarron-Mitchell

Emelin taken by Vegas.
Possible swap between Byron-Lehkonen-Hudon // Plekanec & Danault

Looks like a Playstation trade to me.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
My gut is Price will sign just above Subban's contract and will become the biggest contract in Habs history to symbolize his importance to the franchise (probably what management wants to do with him too, show him he's the best)

Alex Galchenyuk
Mikhaïl Sergachev
Brendan Gallagher
1st 2017/2018
2nd 2017

John Tavares
Josh Bailey

Hudon-Plekanec-Radulov
Byron-Danault-Shaw

Emelin taken by Vegas.

That makes us a much worse team in the future and is not much of a short term gain.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Tavares is a franchise player.

If...they trade him, they will want one in return, a package of prospects and draft picks who take years to develop if ever they do work out are a poor return to me.

Who do the Habs have like that to send back?

I would be looking for the key component in the return to be a top young established centre, which probably excludes the Habs, in my opinion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tavares is a franchise player.

If...they trade him, they will want one in return, a package of prospects and draft picks who take years to develop if ever they do work out are a poor return to me.

Who do the Habs have like that to send back?

I would be looking for the key component in the return to be a top young established centre, which probably excludes the Habs, in my opinion.

You can want all you wish but in the end you face reality. JT is a UFA in one more year! He's going to acquire assets but it's not going to be tremendous. Look at what Kessel got for the Leafs and he had term to his deal. Kessel being a proven 30+ goal scorer. JT is worth more but only when signed with term and the team acquiring him, has him for years!

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
You can want all you wish but in the end you face reality. JT is a UFA in one more year! He's going to acquire assets but it's not going to be tremendous. Look at what Kessel got for the Leafs and he had term to his deal. Kessel being a proven 30+ goal scorer. JT is worth more but only when signed with term and the team acquiring him, has him for years!

Kessell has never been a franchise type player and had a hard to move contract.
Kessell and Tavares don't compare, as player or as contracts.

The Islanders could grant permission to talk to the player's agent before any deal is completed.

What is your 'Habs package' that you believe would trump what other teams could offer?

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary

Alex Galchenyuk
Mikhaïl Sergachev
Brendan Gallagher
1st 2017/2018
2nd 2017

John Tavares
Josh Bailey

Hudon-Plekanec-Radulov
Byron-Danault-Shaw

Emelin taken by Vegas.

Swap Sergachev with Beau and I would approve. Take out the 2nd and use it to entice LV to take Pleks. Sign Shipachev.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kessell has never been a franchise type player and had a hard to move contract.
Kessell and Tavares don't compare, as player or as contracts.

The Islanders could grant permission to talk to the player's agent before any deal is completed.

What is your 'Habs package' that you believe would trump what other teams could offer?

Your missing the point. Lets say JT is worth a 9/10 and Kessel is worth 7/10. I already said JT was worth more. However, Kessel was traded with term to his contract and JT has one year till UFA. Your giving JT full value as if he was signed long term which is foolish! Take a look at what the Leafs got for Kessel and you start to realize market value. JT will acquire assets but it's not going to be what your thinking (unless its a sign and trade deal)

Like I and many others have said... trade for JT in a sign and trade type deal only! Then you can give them Galchenyuk

Last edited:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Your missing the point. Lets say JT is worth a 9/10 and Kessel is worth 7/10. I already said JT was worth more. However, Kessel was traded with term to his contract and JT has one year till UFA. Your giving JT full value as if he was signed long term which is foolish!

Like I and many others have said... trade for JT in a sign and trade type deal only! Then you can give them Galchenyuk

Your offer to acquire Tavares is Galchenyuk?

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
The dysnfunction of the roster has much more to do with the dysfunctional coach we just fired and the dysfunctional management who flood the roster with scrubs and nobodies every 6 months.

CJ has changed his lines. Chucky now on LW 3rd line.

It's beyond me how you can blame Galchenyuk for "roster dysfunction" and not Plekanec who was expected be the 1B/2 and performs like a middling 3rd line C.

Even if Plekanec is having a down year, he remains effective at Center. It's not a question of point production, it's playing the position.

Were you guys also ragging on Kovalev all the time too?

I feel Radulov has filled that role quite nicely.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Your offer to acquire Tavares is Galchenyuk?

Rare are the trades were you fleece the other party. Takes value to get value. And in this case JT has value despite the remaining term of his contract. It lessens its value, but it is JT afterall, a solid quality hockey player with proven production on a struggling team.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Rare are the trades were you fleece the other party. Takes value to get value. And in this case JT has value despite the remaining term of his contract. It lessens its value, but it is JT afterall, a solid quality hockey player with proven production on a struggling team.
I don't know how thin the ice is for Snow (no pun intended) but if they do move Tavares, and the odds are still against that happening, it will be for a significant established player at the very minimum.

The competition in that market is fierce, they can't afford to sell low here, in my opinion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

This is true and everybody knows this. But Galchenyuk is heading into his prime and will be locked up for 8 years this offseason probably. Trading him in a package deal for one year of JT is nuts! Maybe Gallagher (or similar) is moved as the roster player in a package deal.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Chucky's ceiling is as a #2C imo and there's nothing wrong with that.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Chucky's ceiling is as a #2C imo and there's nothing wrong with that.

Indeed. But we need a #1C and have needed for years. How are you gonna pull that rabbit out of a hat? :sarcasm:

Draft: too late
Prospects: None
UFA: We have Radulov and Price to sign. Rather overpay on roster players than hopefuls

Habs management was banking on Chucky developing into our #1C. It's not a lost cause (yet), but some things are starting to be definitive in Galchenyuk's play.

There is a saying:"If it looks like a skunk, fells like a skunk, then..."

So Chucky may well be a ("skunk") #2C and that would be phenomenal if we had another Top6 center.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The point is to add Tavares in ADDITION to the forwards we already have. Tavares isn't going to help that much if Pacioretty or Galchenyuk are going the other way.

It all depends what the + is.

I would believe that sending Pacioretty wouldn't make much sense, he would be his winger.

But sending Galchenyuk could be a starting point
Is anyone here really going to say that Tavares isn't an upgrade on Galchenyuk? Let's be honest, Galchenyuk even though is a little younger, will probably never be in the same category as JT.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Indeed. But we need a #1C and have needed for years. How are you gonna pull that rabbit out of a hat? :sarcasm:

Draft: too late
Prospects: None
UFA: We have Radulov and Price to sign. Rather overpay on roster players than hopefuls

Habs management was banking on Chucky developing into our #1C. It's not a lost cause (yet), but some things are starting to be definitive in Galchenyuk's play.

There is a saying:"If it looks like a skunk, fells like a skunk, then..."

So Chucky may well be a ("skunk") #2C and that would be phenomenal if we had another Top6 center.

Wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Not even close.

The closest thing they've had to Kovalev was Subban.

Heard Chucky's name chanted in the Bell Center? I haven't.

Heard Radulov's name chanted? :)

But, I agree, you are right that Subban has been the closest. Have to make with what you got and that is Radulov.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We should not overpay for 1 year of Tavares.

If it's a sign-and-trade, Galchenyuk alone will almost certainly trump all other offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: