Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Sir John Tavares.. please save us edition)

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
We're not exactly overflowing with quality prospects here, can't afford to lose Markov's replacement and nobody else would be on the same level as other prospects offered for a JT sign & trade deal.

I would be quite amazed if MB pulled it off.

On a more realistic note since this is MB's ship to steer and as I posted in the off-season move thread, I'm expecting something along the lines of Chucky for Carter.

LA needs to get younger and MB loves himself some Team Canada leadership. Fits with Price and Weber's time in MTL.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
agreed, those trades can't be made.

as well, MB has no clue how to get a top 6 guy, he has had 5 years

If the Sharks go out of the playoffs early and we do as well you will see Bergevin trade Chucky to the Sharks for Joe Thornton and a number 6 defenseman. In the presser he will say "look, we were not looking to trade the chucky but man, it's Joe freaking Thornton" and look at the press with that Lloyd Christmas type of grin.:laugh:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Dream on about Tavares! He isn't coming here. All I wish is that he doesn't end up with some other team in the Atlantic division.

Leafs can afford him and add one good top 2 d and they could win the cup next year.

And I'm not kidding. Look how long hawks went from really bad to cup. Like 3 years.

****ing NHL and tanking. They have to change the draft system.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Leafs can afford him and add one good top 2 d and they could win the cup next year.

And I'm not kidding. Look how long hawks went from really bad to cup. Like 3 years.

****ing NHL and tanking. They have to change the draft system.

Hawks had Keith, Hammer, Campbell (earlier on) and Seabrook (well he was good in his prime). Leafs have Rielly who's defensively probably the worst "top pairing" dman in the league right now.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Galchenyuk is the most I'd pay. They won't get better than that anywhere else and the only reason I'd do this is because Montreal seems to be turning on Chuck. He's younger, he'll be cheaper. No way I throw in more than him.

I'd also demand to talk to Tavares before trading for him to see if he'd sign here and barring that put in two conditional 1sts (from the Islanders - not us) if Tavares doesn't re-sign with us. And even that I'm not sure I'd be willing to do.

If you trade for him and he leaves, it's a total disaster.
Agreed. If he signs then it's everything for him except serge. Ffs Leks would score 30 with him.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Habs have to be all over this and solve the #1C problem!!! Been too long... and then they can put chucks at wing & stop this C to W bs & finally let him do his thing!

NyI: Patches, Sergachev, MAC, 1st, sherback

Mtl: Taveres, leddy

The money patches would ask for goes to JT & leddy is on a good contract leaving room to sign chucks JT & price...making the Habs a true condender

Isles will not trade Tavares to Habs unless Chucky is included.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Kopitar has 830 regular season games and 75 tough playoff games under his belt at 29 years old. Toews has 710 regular season games and 124 tough playoff games under his. They won't be good forever. They are not long-term solutions. Tavares is the better player going forward.

Very intelligent post.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Hawks had Keith, Hammer, Campbell (earlier on) and Seabrook (well he was good in his prime). Leafs have Rielly who's defensively probably the worst "top pairing" dman in the league right now.

Look at the opposition.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Kopitar has 830 regular season games and 75 tough playoff games under his belt at 29 years old. Toews has 710 regular season games and 124 tough playoff games under his. They won't be good forever. They are not long-term solutions. Tavares is the better player going forward.

You're missing the point here. Those other centres are more valuable because of everything you just mentioned. They're battle tested, proven playoff performers and Stanley Cup champions. That kind of winning is a premium to acquiring a player.

As for my post, I was talking about the asinine trade proposals that was giving away our best players in the farm and our top picks for the foreseeable future for Tavares. It's not worth giving all that for a guy who hasn't won and doesn't have the pedigree that the others have, not that I'd trade a plethora of 1sts and our top prospects and our best young forward for them either. Just saying it's even less worth it.

We'll have to get our centre through the draft, a UFA or fleece a team on a trade for a player who wasn't projected to be a top line centre but miraculously becomes one here. Other than those scenarios, I wouldn't hold my breath for Tavares.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You're missing the point here. Those other centres are more valuable because of everything you just mentioned. They're battle tested, proven playoff performers and Stanley Cup champions. That kind of winning is a premium to acquiring a player.

As far as my post, I was talking about the asinine trade proposals that was giving away our best players in the farm and our top picks for the foreseeable future for Tavares. It's not worth giving all that for a guy who hasn't won and doesn't have the pedigree that the others have, not that I'd trade a plethora of 1sts and our top prospects and our best young forward for them either. Just saying it's even less worth it.

We'll have to get our centre through the draft, a UFA or fleece a team on a trade for a player who wasn't projected to be a top line centre but miraculously becomes one here. Other than those scenarios, I wouldn't hold my breath for Tavares.

Kopitar has fell off this season...could be another Mike Richards, Scott Gomez?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Two time cup champion as the top centre and leading point getter, Selke winner same year he won the Bing but he's Scott Gomez because of an off year?? Ok... :facepalm:

You shouldn't give a player more value just because he's been on cup-winning teams.

If Toews had been drafted by the Islanders, he would have won nothing. Kopitar was going to win nothing until the Kings traded for Jeff Carter.

I remember when Gainey acquired Gomez and Gionta "They've won cups, they will restore a culture of winning to heal us from Koivu's culture of losing !!!!!"

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I would definitely take Tavares before Toews and Kopitar.

No doubt. Tavares is the superior player.

That said, his trade value is not as high as some think. He has one year left on his contract.

Some posters are suggesting some lunatic packages involving Galchenyuk ++ ... there is no precedent for that in the salary cap era. UFA rentals max out at a young roster player, a decent prospect, and a late 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad