Proposal: Trade/FA Thread '21 Off-Season Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You won't get Eichel without Romanov and KK as starters. You might get interest if you swap Romanov for Guhle. If you don't like that, don't bother calling the Sabres
I'd pass. Unless they can aquire solid D through other means, I wouldn't give up any young D. Maybe Harris. Not Guhle or Romanov. I see solid careers in those 2.
I'm leaning more towards drafting the next Eichel. This team hasn't been able to do that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd pass. Unless they can aquire solid D through other means, I wouldn't give up any young D. Maybe Harris. Not Guhle or Romanov. I see solid careers in those 2.
I'm leaning more towards drafting the next Eichel. This team hasn't been able to do that.

I think that we need to either improve or go down. If we don't trade for Eichel, we need to consider trading Price with 50% retention. Personally, I would be OK with Romanov, KK, 1st, grade B, and Drouin (cap reasons) for Eichel and we might be able to ask them to retain $1M. There is more room left in the cap than you think but we need to be careful with Suzuki and Caufield's next contracts as well

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I think that we need to either improve or go down. If we don't trade for Eichel, we need to consider trading Price with 50% retention. Personally, I would be OK with Romanov, KK, 1st, grade B, and Drouin (cap reasons) for Eichel and we might be able to ask them to retain $1M. There is more room left in the cap than you think but we need to be careful with Suzuki and Caufield's next contracts as well

The only real cap space MB has this week is the one coming from losing our UFA. That is not alot and like you said, you need to think about resining certain players soon. I'm not super optimistic.

I can see a deal for OEL vs Drouin + and maybe Saad. I would also think that MC look into Bernier as a stop gap while price is down.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only real cap space MB has this week is the one coming from losing our UFA. That is not alot and like you said, you need to think about resining certain players soon. I'm not super optimistic.

I can see a deal for OEL vs Drouin + and maybe Saad. I would also think that MC look into Bernier as a stop gap while price is down.

Hold my beer... I'll be back with a cap space exercise and show you what kind of cap space we got. Keep my beer cold, I won't be long

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Montreal's not in a position where they can take on OEL's term (and NMC) and simultaneously hoping he can get back to being a passable top-3 D-man. Even if Drouin is going the other way. Not with all they have tied up long term in veterans.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Coming in peace from the isles board. I saw a rumor on a nyi blog site that the Habs have interest in 24 yr old Beau.

Isles have about $18m+ in cap space and Seattle will take another player. So, isles do have $ for Beau's extension or to match any offer sheet.
Have there been any credible rumors in the Montreal press about the Habs kicking the tires on Beau
Pure specualtion...........don't discount the franco thing being used for sure.....he will stay with the Isles.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Remember, this is a cap space exercise. Weber goes on LTIR for the entire year and one more playoff run then retires after next season. Still $2.8M left if we want to pay Danault and Hamilton a bit more. I have my doubts Hamilton signs but like I said, it's just an example

dYPrSML.jpg

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I appreciate the feedback. If you guys come across any credible sources, come over and post on the nyi board.
Wouldn't put too much stock into it. We're losing Danault and possibly Drouin, so we'll be out of French Canadian players. There's bound to be rumors of us interested in one or two.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Remember, this is a cap space exercise. Weber goes on LTIR for the entire year and one more playoff run then retires after next season. Still $2.8M left if we want to pay Danault and Hamilton a bit more. I have my doubts Hamilton signs but like I said, it's just an example

dYPrSML.jpg

You and I discussed this, during the summer, MB can only bust the cap by 10% and we wont know until training camp if Weber can go on LTIR and if this can be for the year or part of the year. So as of this week... technically MB does not have that cap space to spare.... it only really become available at training camp when the league will rule. So that's 8m you cant burn now.

Same with Drouin, until his contract is moved, MB can't sign a player long term with that money. If Drouin was deemed fit to play by league MDs, MTL would lose the LTIR cap relief.

You are right that losing Tatar and the other UFA does give us a cushion, but not enough to sign Hamilton and get Tarasenko.

Best scenario for MTL would be for Weber to retire and Drouin to be traded. That gives us the cap space to sign someone this week.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Sakukoivu11 was right this morning about us not taking Price, and his source was ESPN radio.

I would still take this with a gain of salt. The Price non-pick info must have come from the Kraken. The Seattle draft was leaky as ****. now we are talking about two completely different teams

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
Remember, he was hit the hardest in Buffalo with Covid and somewhat dinged up before that. If he’s fully healthy and recovered, again, depending on the price, this could be a steal.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Remember, he was hit the hardest in Buffalo with Covid and somewhat dinged up before that. If he’s fully healthy and recovered, again, depending on the price, this could be a steal.

If he can play, getting a good 25 year old already developed Dman for a 2nd that's almost in the 3rd round is a great deal.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

dYPrSML.jpg
Dude you try and squeeze Danault into every single post you make give it a rest man the guy is asking for big money and term just let it go already its time to move on. I get it he is one of your fav players or whatever but your obsession with him is borderline creepy at this point.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Sakukoivu11 was right this morning about us not taking Price, and his source was ESPN radio.

So? It was just a question. I just want to know who's saying it. Is it a show/person worth listening to? Is it speculation or an actual rumour? Is it an insider or is it relaying another insider?

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Risto big man. mean I think?

He's got game but maturity was his issue. 6'-4" and 220 lbs and he can skate. Age 27 season coming and Bergevin will be all over this!

I believe our defensive structure can groom him in the right direction and he don't have to lead our group. A good target IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad