Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Patches has a 10-team no trade list in his contract - he's not coming to Winnipeg.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have to say I'm not super keen on adding another older player with a big deal that could really fall off the next few years. I am all for some high skilled experience but I would rather that be in the Scheifele age range give or take a year. Patches doesn't interest me at all as he is another fairly one dimensional scoring winger and imo we need to start getting more balanced forwards for this roster. I would rather go out and sign Granlund to augment our forwards and move Rolsovic in a deal for futures.

Granlund would give our bottom six some nice speed and play driving offensive creativity.

Reactions: scelaton

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
With all the Laine speculation in this thread the back and forth is interesting. I find the situation fascinating from a pure strategic perspective.

The 4 year flat cap reality is unprecedented in my memory at least. How will agents manage their clients future value while managing their impatience and expectations based on the Pre-Covid market place?

The actual market dynamics because who the hell knows?

Laine’s leverage to get his cake (QO) and then walk himself out the door at 25 as laid out by @KingBogo

Jets team needs and time line pressure. Did they take a hard run at moving Laine this off season and get rejected by the market place at their asking price? If so what next?

One thing that might happen is that nothing changes for now. In that case Laine gets one more odd, compacted, late starting season to add to or subtract from his legacy. How does his season go?

Honestly with all the variables in play I have no idea how it plays out?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Imagine signing Laine to a 3 year extension and the end result of Hellebuyck, Scheifele and Laine all needing new deals at the same time. Woo boy. That'd be a tough one for Chevy.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
With all the Laine speculation in this thread the back and forth is interesting. I find the situation fascinating from a pure strategic perspective.

The 4 year flat cap reality is unprecedented in my memory at least. How will agents manage their clients future value while managing their impatience and expectations based on the Pre-Covid market place?
The actual market dynamics because who the hell knows?
Laine’s leverage to get his cake (QO) and then walk himself out the door at 25 as laid out by @KingBogo
Jets team needs and time line pressure. Did they take a hard run at moving Laine this off season and get rejected by the market place at their asking price? If so what next?
One thing that might happen is that nothing changes for now. In that case Laine gets one more odd, compacted, late starting season to add to or subtract from his legacy. How does his season go?
Honestly with all the variables in play I have no idea how it plays out?
I'm quite certain that Laine will play all or most of this season with the Jets. I'm also certain that the Jets will not overpay him and hold a lot of leverage in this Covid-constrained environment.
It's of interest to look at the Jets other 2 disaffected players, who were good, not great, but had an exaggerated sense of their worth:
Evander Kane signed at 7x $7M with the Sharks. He has scored an average of 47 points per season since leaving Winnipeg, exceeding the 50 point threshold only 3 times in his career.
Trouba signed for 7x $8M, which was an overpay even before COVID. When we talk about someone being an anchor on defense, it's not supposed to refer to his salary, lol!
Neither of those players are worth their contract and will make it that much harder for their teams to navigate the cap over the coming years.
Laine will have every opportunity show his value this season, but it's doubtful he gets the contract his agents could have secured a year ago from any team, despite all the noise they have generated recently.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why would Chevy not get the best deal possible at the time of the trade? Your assumption is completely unfounded.

So is yours. You assume that whatever he got was the best possible. Unfounded and a little strange.

Of course he would take the best one offered. Is the first offer normally the best possible?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They traded Nate Schmidt for a 3rd with 5 years left on his deal and Stastney for an AHL dman on a 1 way deal that was a cap dump and a conditional 4th round pick.

Now there are a very limited amount of teams that can even add cap, and the ones that can likely aren't interested in adding an over 30 year old winger with a flat cap and the expansion draft looming. Add to that Patches no trade list and the fact that Vegas must make a trade to become cap compliant (or I guess they could just waive him and see who wants him for free). I'd even pile on the fact that Tampa is also looking to move a forward or two and that Hoffman is sitting out there unsigned.

The price to trade for Patches would be low. Like Perreault for Patches low IMO.

Like that maybe, but not that. VGK wouldn't want MP's cap hit coming back. Though that would save them almost 3 mil, so maybe not completely out of the question.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think a 3-4 year extension for Laine in the $8.5-9M range makes sense.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Patches has a 10-team no trade list in his contract - he's not coming to Winnipeg.

That no trade list gives him the opportunity to say yes or no. I think we can safely assume we are on the list. But he still might accept it when the time comes. You are probably right, but it is not written in stone. He could like the idea of playing with Stastny and Ehlers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With the Perfetti pick and some tinkering with the D we are left with one 'sore thumb' need standing out, 1RHD. If we had a young one of those, we could even shelve the 4 year window consideration because we have would have plenty of good players who either are signed longer or presumably could be. And we would have 4 years to find additions to those. It would be only Scheifele and Helle we would be concerned with the 4 year shelf life and either or both could have several years longer.

An experienced Dman who fits the 4 year window would be good. A young prospect who projects to 1st pair and has a much longer window would be better, IMO.

So, where am I going with this? Moritz Seider. Yeah, yeah, I know. A rebuilding team like DRW is not going to part with a prospective cornerstone piece like him at this stage of the game. But anyone is tradeable, it is just a matter of price. Meanwhile, Jets are in a position where he could be the last piece of the puzzle and we have plenty of assets that we can spare. We can afford to over pay because we can give up a big price without tearing apart our team to do it. I think we can make Detroit an offer they can't refuse, if we try.

This is the time for Chevy to get aggressive. Target what we need and go after it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
With the Perfetti pick and some tinkering with the D we are left with one 'sore thumb' need standing out, 1RHD. If we had a young one of those, we could even shelve the 4 year window consideration because we have would have plenty of good players who either are signed longer or presumably could be. And we would have 4 years to find additions to those. It would be only Scheifele and Helle we would be concerned with the 4 year shelf life and either or both could have several years longer.

An experienced Dman who fits the 4 year window would be good. A young prospect who projects to 1st pair and has a much longer window would be better, IMO.

So, where am I going with this? Moritz Seider. Yeah, yeah, I know. A rebuilding team like DRW is not going to part with a prospective cornerstone piece like him at this stage of the game. But anyone is tradeable, it is just a matter of price. Meanwhile, Jets are in a position where he could be the last piece of the puzzle and we have plenty of assets that we can spare. We can afford to over pay because we can give up a big price without tearing apart our team to do it. I think we can make Detroit an offer they can't refuse, if we try.

This is the time for Chevy to get aggressive. Target what we need and go after it.
So out of curiosity, what's the offer you would give that they wouldn't be able to refuse?

Don't get me wrong, I'd give the moon for Seider, but they would want the sun thrown in too.

Reactions: lanky

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So out of curiosity, what's the offer you would give that they wouldn't be able to refuse?

Don't get me wrong, I'd give the moon for Seider, but they would want the sun thrown in too.

I'd start with Laine + Pionk for
Seider + Zadina
That's close to even value, in a vacuum. But Dman vs winger means it requires more. Add Roslovic. Now it is a bit of an overpay, IMO, but not by a lot. I expect more would be required. Add as necessary. :laugh:
Next adds, Stanley and '21 2nd.

Honestly, that should be enough. But we have more ammunition if necessary, though it would be starting to hurt a little if we go any further. KVes? '21 1st? Chisholm and/or Gawanke? Poolman?

We can give them very good value plus jump start their rebuild without actually hurting ourselves much at all. Chevy, I want you to call up Stevie Y and tell him you are not taking no for an answer. Just get it done. :laugh:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Seider + Zadina
That's close to even value, in a vacuum. But Dman vs winger means it requires more. Add Roslovic. Now it is a bit of an overpay, IMO, but not by a lot. I expect more would be required. Add as necessary. :laugh:

Honestly, that should be enough. But we have more ammunition if necessary, though it would be starting to hurt a little if we go any further. KVes? '21 1st? Chisholm and/or Gawanke? Poolman?

We can give them very good value plus jump start their rebuild without actually hurting ourselves much at all. Chevy, I want you to call up Stevie Y and tell him you are not taking no for an answer. Just get it done. :laugh:
Is zadina good?

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015

Gawanke, and Kovacevic are both right shot right side Defence with great upside both had real good seasons last year in AHL. Heinola and Niku also both shoot left but like playing right side.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Gawanke, and Kovacevic are both right shot right side Defence with great upside both had real good seasons last year in AHL. Heinola and Niku also both shoot left but like playing right side.
They should just send Niku to the waste pile so he stops being brought up with players or legit prospects.
At this point it seems like he was a prospect who was wasted.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Seider + Zadina

I think the blue chips that are moving in this trade are such that Detroit wants more. In that scenario Detroit isn't satisfied if we just add more white chips to our offer. They would want more blue chips.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If we're moving Laine, I hope it's in an Ekblad type deal (I don't think FL does that based on the state of their D and Laine's likely contract ask).

For what it's worth, i think we are as well off having 3 RHD that would he considered "second pairing" guys than a stud #1 that can get hurt and/or get ground down by munching too many minutes.

To me running
Jomo de Melo
Forbort pionk
Samberg poolman

Is a good start. It would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper to upgrade poolman than it would be to upgrade De Melo. We are a year or 2 away from

Jomo Demelo
Samberg pionk
Heinola X

That first pair is solid. Second pair has a steady guy (samberg) with an offensively minded guy. That third pair would need a guy with maybe some physicality so compliment heinola. That, to me, is a deep solid D corps. Nobody is carrying a pairing, you could spread the minutes out nicely

I think rosie would be the guy you could dangle with maybe niku, picks, maybe even Ves to get that last RHD to round it out.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If we're moving Laine, I hope it's in an Ekblad type deal (I don't think FL does that based on the state of their D and Laine's likely contract ask).

For what it's worth, i think we are as well off having 3 RHD that would he considered "second pairing" guys than a stud #1 that can get hurt and/or get ground down by munching too many minutes.

To me running
Jomo de Melo
Forbort pionk
Samberg poolman

Is a good start. It would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper to upgrade poolman than it would be to upgrade De Melo. We are a year or 2 away from

Jomo Demelo
Samberg pionk
Heinola X

That first pair is solid. Second pair has a steady guy (samberg) with an offensively minded guy. That third pair would need a guy with maybe some physicality so compliment heinola. That, to me, is a deep solid D corps. Nobody is carrying a pairing, you could spread the minutes out nicely

I think rosie would be the guy you could dangle with maybe niku, picks, maybe even Ves to get that last RHD to round it out.

Heinola has played his off side... would be great to see Samberg-Heinola as our second pairing

Also waiting to see what Chisholm does this year... feels like he's a bit under-rated...

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Imagine signing Laine to a 3 year extension and the end result of Hellebuyck, Scheifele and Laine all needing new deals at the same time. Woo boy. That'd be a tough one for Chevy.

At that point, if you haven’t won they should be rebuilding so it’s honestly probably not a bad play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad