Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd say Roslovic is in tough to be in our starting lineup this coming season. I don't think Maurice has much faith in him and Harkins, Appleton, Ves, etc I'd say will pass him.
The Jets could also use a pick or two to stock up the pipeline, seeing as we've dealt a number of picks away the last few seasons and next.
I'd be fine with dealing Roslovic for a pick without losing him in the expansion draft.

I don't think we have the forward depth to start without him. He was probably the best top 6 option last year with Little out. Stastny might do some heavy lifting, but if he gets injured, it's either Copp or Roslovic as the first top 6 replacement. Harkins showed some ability but Roslovic is more of a game breaker. Vesalainen is a long shot. We managed to keep all our top 5 forwards healthy last year during the regular season, which is quite extraordinary. I think this roster would thin out with a couple of injuries, so I'd be weary of trading Roslovic for picks this year. I agree that we could use more picks, but I think Chevy is going to get a good return on Laine when the call comes. If we trade Roslovic, I'd hope we get 2 players out of the deal, or player plus pick. Or a solid hockey trade. But it's not the season to retool with the talent we have, imo.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I would be tempted to leave KVes, Gus and Heinola where they are for this year. Let them get lots of ice time and be feature players on their respective teams.

But the Jets won’t. But they won’t play much either.

With Maurice, Thompson will play ahead of Gus, Forbort will play ahead of Heinola, and Perreault will play ahead of KVes.

Perfetti might get 9 games, but I don’t see him sticking around after that. Having his ELC slide one year will outweigh keeping him around, IMO.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I would be tempted to leave KVes, Gus and Heinola where they are for this year. Let them get lots of ice time and be feature players on their respective teams.

But the Jets won’t. But they won’t play much either.

With Maurice, Thompson will play ahead of Gus, Forbort will play ahead of Heinola, and Perreault will play ahead of KVes.

Perfetti might get 9 games, but I don’t see him sticking around after that. Having his ELC slide one year will outweigh keeping him around, IMO.

I don’t understand the feeling that Maurice holds back younger players. He’s played one of the youngest top 6 forward groups in the NHL and had two <25 yr old Defencemen on his top pair in Trouba and Morrissey.

Why fill up your bottom six with teenagers when they could develop in other leagues in big roles?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t understand the feeling that Maurice holds back younger players. He’s played one of the youngest top 6 forward groups in the NHL and had two <25 yr old Defencemen on his top pair in Trouba and Morrissey.

Why fill up your bottom six with teenagers when they could develop in other leagues in big roles?

It's more about roles then necessarily age. Our top 6 is filled atm so there isn't a role for skilled forwards on the team if he leaves his bottom 6 template in place. You effectively have one third line slot open and Mauroce will want to fill it with someone to compliment a defensive checking line. The fourth line will not play much so not a great development spot for any of our young players.

On defense roster size may impact how many young players make it. There isnone top 4 LD slot open to be won. I think Maurice likes the vets he has to ice on the third pairing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's more about roles then necessarily age. Our top 6 is filled atm so there isn't a role for skilled forwards on the team if he leaves his bottom 6 template in place. You effectively have one third line slot open and Mauroce will want to fill it with someone to compliment a defensive checking line. The fourth line will not play much so not a great development spot for any of our young players.

On defense roster size may impact how many young players make it. There isnone top 4 LD slot open to be won. I think Maurice likes the vets he has to ice on the third pairing.
Maurice has often included a skilled forward on his 3rd line... Armia, Perreault, Roslovic.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Very rarely does that line play enough to optimize development though which is the main point.
The 3rd line being lowry’s line plays a lot. I think that line would be better with a Harkins or an Appleton.
Also someone mentioned a bottom 6, isn’t that an antiquated concept when you have the skill to run a top 9 and a 4th line? Teens can play on the 3rd line if it’s perefetti Roslovic and Harkins and given a more offensive role and allowed to be creative without being benched if they mess up.
I know taking time away from Kc eels and Laine is seen as bad because they are goal scorers but the question is would they be more efficient if they played one minute less and were fresher. Less time more efficiency. I know it’s counter to how things were done in the past with Gretz and co putting up points because they played 40 minutes a game, but they also weren’t expected to play D. While teams like Vegas play 4 lines guys are always faster every second on ice because they are more fresh.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
We’re talking about Maurice. Yes, a bottom 6, that includes a checking 3rd line and an energy 4th line.

I don’t see Maurice moving away from that. He’ll have a Copp-Lowry-XXXX checking 3rd line, and a 4th line of Harkins-Thompson-Appleton for some energy.

So you have a spot on 3rd line, that likely goes to a vet like Perreault or Roslovic over a youngster.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We’re talking about Maurice. Yes, a bottom 6, that includes a checking 3rd line and an energy 4th line.

I don’t see Maurice moving away from that. He’ll have a Copp-Lowry-XXXX checking 3rd line, and a 4th line of Harkins-Thompson-Appleton for some energy.

So you have a spot on 3rd line, that likely goes to a vet like Perreault or Roslovic over a youngster.

Also judging by the sounds of things there won't be many if any exhibition games this year so no real opportunity to take a look at some of the youngsters. Teams will likely play their penciled in rosters if they get a game.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Pretty sure a line with Nate Thompson... or Matt Hendricks or Mark Letestu or insert name here... would not classify as an 'energy line'

Reactions: buggs

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Very rarely does that line play enough to optimize development though which is the main point.
The NHL is not really a "development" league. Roles come from roster openings, or a young player moving out older players. Scheifele moved Little out of #1C. Connor and Ehlers forced themselves into the top-6. Laine is trying to push himself into a permanent #1RW role.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The NHL is not really a "development" league. Roles come from roster openings, or a young player moving out older players. Scheifele moved Little out of #1C. Connor and Ehlers forced themselves into the top-6. Laine is trying to push himself into a permanent #1RW role.

Other orgs run a more balanced lineup configuration then us though which allows younger players the ice time lower in the lineups to hone their skills and work their way up. Our checking line tends eat a lot of minutes which makes it harder for younger skilled players to get a footing in this lineup and force their way up.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hmm. For some reason I remember Cernak and Tampa Bay signing a bridge contract earlier this off season. That doesn't appear to be the case, did a pundit tweet it out prematurely, or am I going crazy?

If he ends up becoming available, any opinions on what Cernak would cost us? Roslovic + what?

I still believe we're going after one more defenseman, but we're not interested in any of the UFAs available.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Other orgs run a more balanced lineup configuration then us though which allows younger players the ice time lower in the lineups to hone their skills and work their way up. Our checking line tends eat a lot of minutes which makes it harder for younger skilled players to get a footing in this lineup and force their way up.

Our checking line was one of the most effective lines in the NHL to be fair.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Our checking line was one of the most effective lines in the NHL to be fair.

I'm not arguing that point juat stating that it makes it harder for a skilled young player to crack the lineup and get enough minutes to develop if there isn't an opening in the top 6. Its incredibly hard to force your way up playing 6 to 8 minutes a night on the fourth line.

I would like to see 3B offensive line to compliment that checking line. They can take minutes from the first line which imo is played too many minutes. In a compressed season I would like to see a more Tampa Bay approach to distributing minutes.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm not arguing that point juat stating that it makes it harder for a skilled young player to crack the lineup and get enough minutes to develop if there isn't an opening in the top 6. Its incredibly hard to force your way up playing 6 to 8 minutes a night on the fourth line.

I would like to see 3B offensive line to compliment that checking line. They can take minutes from the first line which imo is played too many minutes. In a compressed season I would like to see a more Tampa Bay approach to distributing minutes.

Maybe we start moving in that direction - hopefully guys like KV, Harkins, Perfetti, Roz make it easier. There is potential with this bunch if they bring it which usually translates to skill and energy.
I know Petan, Dano, and Lemieux didn't -
We have the players to make a decent 4th - we'll see how it unfolds

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Jets are a development team... Ehlers was down on the third line - in a checking role for a while, Scheif was brought along slowly, Morrissey and Connor too, etc...

The problem is that the Jets are not able to develop the centre position with the 3rd line as a checking line. 4th line doesn't get enough ice time for a C to jump to 2C... Copp and Roslo have drifted into defensive forwards rather than scorers.

Laine is the only guy to jump into a top 6 role in his draft year... and maybe he shouldn't have...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
With the NHL start date looking like it's set, plus financial side known largely as per the CA & NHLPA/NHL........some speculation trades & signings could start up again & could be very busy between now & season start in just over four weeks (brief freeze over Xmas).

Could the Jets have interest in Max Pacioretty at a discounted cost to get him & reports are LV would be willing to retain up to 2 million per year in a trade. We know LV is desperate to make a trade. Max has a 10 team no trade, but might love the chance of playing with some great offensive talent on the Jets.

Jets get Max at a cheaper normal trade value with retention for three years and trade Laine before the season starts to someone else? Laine trade could be top pairing RHD+ (might include Pionk if we got a top pairing RHD) or huge haul of picks/prospects all exempt from the expansion draft which carry the Jets forward for many more years.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
With the NHL start date looking like it's set, plus financial side known largely as per the CA & NHLPA/NHL........some speculation trades & signings could start up again & could be very busy between now & season start in just over four weeks (brief freeze over Xmas).

Could the Jets have interest in Max Pacioretty at a discounted cost to get him & reports are LV would be willing to retain up to 2 million per year in a trade. We know LV is desperate to make a trade. Max has a 10 team no trade, but might love the chance of playing with some great offensive talent on the Jets.

Jets get Max at a cheaper normal trade value with retention for three years and trade Laine before the season starts to someone else? Laine trade could be top pairing RHD+ (might include Pionk if we got a top pairing RHD) or huge haul of picks/prospects all exempt from the expansion draft which carry the Jets forward for many more years.

As a concept, IF (big if there) the Jets are looking to trade Laine, I'm definitely not against the return being a huge haul of picks and prospects and backfilling him with a Hoffman, or MaxPac (if he came for next to nothing and with 2 million retained).

Reactions: Hunter368

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It seems a bit to late in the offseason to be making such fundamental roster changes imo.

I imagine if the Jets had something lined up for a top pairing dmen for Laine it would have happened already.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It seems a bit to late in the offseason to be making such fundamental roster changes imo.

I imagine if the Jets had something lined up for a top pairing dmen for Laine it would have happened already.

As per some hockey writers, many of the signings and possibly many trades were held up due to the uncertainty of if or when the season would start, plus what would the financial side of things look like....they know that now so it could open some things up trade & signings wise. While I agree a top pairing guy at this stage might be hard to find, I could see a trade largely based on heavy futures happening if the Jets could get a Laine backfill done aka Max or Hoffman or Granland, etc.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As per some hockey writers, many of the signings and possibly many trades were held up due to the uncertainty of if or when the season would start, plus what would the financial side of things look like....they know that now so it could open some things up trade & signings wise. While I agree a top pairing guy at this stage might be hard to find, I could see a trade largely based on heavy futures happening if the Jets could get a Laine backfill done aka Max or Hoffman or Granland, etc.

It's possible but ill say unlikely. I think there is still too much many cap strapped teams out there that will be forced to sell talent cheaply or pay to move it in order to be compliant that it will depress a market for Laine.

Should be an interesting next few weeks regardless though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It's possible but ill say unlikely. I think there is still too much many cap strapped teams out there that will be forced to sell talent cheaply or pay to move it in order to be compliant that it will depress a market for Laine.

Should be an interesting next few weeks regardless though.

Possibly

FYI

10 teams are currently at or exceeded the cap (worse team exceeds by about 3.2 million), 5 more are below the cap but within 1.5 million roughly. The other 15 teams are between 2 to 17 million below the cap as it stands today. Of course any trade including Laine for largely futures likely includes at least one contract coming back to the Jets to help cap work for the other team.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Possibly

FYI

10 teams are currently at or exceeded the cap (worse team exceeds by about 3.2 million), 5 more are below the cap but within 1.5 million roughly. The other 15 teams are between 2 to 17 million below the cap as it stands today. Of course any trade including Laine for largely futures likely includes at least one contract coming back to the Jets to help cap work for the other team.

Another factor is that now that NHL owners aren't getting any additional cash deferrals how many of them are interested in upping their budgets.

It might be I credibly difficult for teams to mive players right now if owners don't want to spend more cash.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Another factor is that now that NHL owners aren't getting any additional cash deferrals how many of them are interested in upping their budgets.

It might be I credibly difficult for teams to mive players right now if owners don't want to spend more cash.

Possibly, I’ll say the next month can’t go fast enough for me and could be very interesting depending how owners view things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad