Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
At that point, if you haven’t won they should be rebuilding so it’s honestly probably not a bad play.

If you look at the fact that this is likely Wheeler's last season on the top line - we really NEED Laine - or Roslo or Harkins(?) - to step up and grab that position...

We could end up with a surprising gap in our top 6 given the lack of development with our young forwards who are on the outside looking in - we're now stocked with bottom six checking guys...

In 2021-22, we basically need Perfetti to be game ready as 2C and Laine on first line... this window is closing fast.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Heinola has played his off side... would be great to see Samberg-Heinola as our second pairing

Also waiting to see what Chisholm does this year... feels like he's a bit under-rated...
I'm open to that. Heinola on the third pair seems like overkill. That may mean moving on from pionk

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm open to that. Heinola on the third pair seems like overkill. That may mean moving on from pionk

Not sure we need to - unless we're moving to size... Samberg and Heinola would have two more years of ELC

Beaulieau and Pionk is actually a pretty decent third pairing

I know we're excited about Perfetti but I can't help but wonder if teams didn't under-estimate the value of Guhle and Schneider - getting hard to find big mobile D

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not sure we need to - unless we're moving to size... Samberg and Heinola would have two more years of ELC

Beaulieau and Pionk is actually a pretty decent third pairing

I know we're excited about Perfetti but I can't help but wonder if teams didn't under-estimate the value of Guhle and Schneider - getting hard to find big mobile D
Either what both are needs but as fans we have no control so all we can do is be happy bout who we drafted. Trade Laine for Guhle or that mobile D.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is zadina good?

My guess - He had a really strong draft year leading to being drafted at 6 OA. Since then he has been merely good, not great. He still projects top 6, but more 2nd line than 1st. I see him as keeping our top 6 filled after the departure of Laine but at a much lower level.

He is a LHS playing RW, so Maurice might like to start him at LW and establish himself there before moving him to the right side. So Ehlers would need to play the right side for a while.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gawanke, and Kovacevic are both right shot right side Defence with great upside both had real good seasons last year in AHL. Heinola and Niku also both shoot left but like playing right side.

And your point is ........... ?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the blue chips that are moving in this trade are such that Detroit wants more. In that scenario Detroit isn't satisfied if we just add more white chips to our offer. They would want more blue chips.

Of course that is a possibility - but they are not giving up any proven players, only prospects. One blue chip and one white one.

I started down this line by looking at both their roster and their system. To my eye, they need both quality and quantity. So the quantity for quality equation works for them more so than it might for some teams with stronger pools. I start with each team moving 1 RW and 1RD. Ours are established but still young players. Theirs are prospects with a couple of years of development behind them. I give their package a bit of a boost because the main piece projects as a 1RD over our main piece being a 1RW. So I add Roslovic. He is a fairly valuable trade piece in his own right. He was a 25 OA pick in a very strong draft class and despite not getting much love here lately, he is performing right where 25 OA in that class should perform. That is already a pretty good offer.

Some of the other pieces that might be added from there on are clearly of lesser value but others are still pretty good. I think it is important to look at what even those lesser pieces could do to DRW's rebuild considering how thin they are. They are not going to part with such good young players unless they see it helping their rebuild. IMO, this clearly does. They may not agree of course.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
Steve Dangle Interviewed Nick Kypreos on his Podcast (5 hours ago).

Kypreos made 2 wild predictions:
1) Jets are the best team in the Canadian Division.
2) Laine is on his way out.

When Steve asked a follow up question about “What he’s heard about Laine Trade Rumours and about his current insider trading network (post Sports Network)”

Kypreos said, “I still have a lot of friends and the conversation can easily go from how are you doing and how are the kids? To [insiders] saying, “I gotta get Patrik Laine out of there.”

I think we all know the history, quality, and accuracy of Kypreos’ reporting prowess (particularly on a Steve Dangle Podcast) but none the less it’s still interesting.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Steve Dangle Interviewed Nick Kypreos on his Podcast (5 hours ago).

Kypreos made 2 wild predictions:
1) Jets are the best team in the Canadian Division.
2) Laine is on his way out.

When Steve asked a follow up question about “What he’s heard about Laine Trade Rumours and about his current insider trading network (post Sports Network)”

Kypreos said, “I still have a lot of friends and the conversation can easily go from how are you doing and how are the kids? To [insiders] saying, “I gotta get Patrik Laine out of there.”

I think we all know the history, quality, and accuracy of Kypreos’ reporting prowess (particularly on a Steve Dangle Podcast) but none the less it’s still interesting.

Sorry, not really following his last comment... what does that even mean?

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
Sorry, not really following his last comment... what does that even mean?
Not sure either tbh. I uploaded the video just below my comment (as a reference) in hopes of getting some feedback considering this is a rumour thread.

It appears the community consensus remains that the rumours are baseless and used as click bait. Which I would agree, theres no real substance here.

Basically Kyper asked someone (an insider) how they’re kids are doing, and that same person went on to say that, “I gotta get Patrik Laine out of there.” Lol.

He’s basically insinuating that the person he spoke with would be someone with the ability to make this kind of decision, but who really knows.. its Kyper..

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A re-signed Laine and Poink to CBJ for Werenski, Bjorkstrand, a re-signed (2 to 3 years) Savard and a 1st in 2021.

Would you do it?
Yes. Of course we likely lose Savard (or DeMelo) in the expansion draft.

What would the D look like?

Werenski - DeMelo
Morrissey - Savard
Samberg - Poolman

Last edited:
Reactions: Nedarb

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Honestly have zero interest in Casperetty...guy ghosts for no reason, out of the blue...plus, the Habs are my 2nd team and I’ve seen how Max’s personality affects team chemistry...
as for a return for Laine and Pionk, I’d start with FLA and NYI and then move on from there, but those would be my first calls

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Not sure either tbh. I uploaded the video just below my comment (as a reference) in hopes of getting some feedback considering this is a rumour thread.

It appears the community consensus remains that the rumours are baseless and used as click bait. Which I would agree, theres no real substance here.

Basically Kyper asked someone (an insider) how they’re kids are doing, and that same person went on to say that, “I gotta get Patrik Laine out of there.” Lol.

He’s basically insinuating that the person he spoke with would be someone with the ability to make this kind of decision, but who really knows.. its Kyper..
Most likely Kyper was talking to Westwood or Toth.

Reactions: Pongs21

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes. Of course we likely lose Savard (or DeMelo) in the expansion draft.

What would the D look like?

Werenski - DeMelo
Morrissey - Savard
Samberg - Poolman
Why would we lose Savard or DeMelo in the ED? Since Laine is gone you go 4-4. After Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor which Jets forward is worth more than a top 4 RHD?

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Since Vegas seems to like doing stupid things lately maybe we can get glass, Krebs and a couple of firsts for Laine.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Why would we lose Savard or DeMelo in the ED? Since Laine is gone you go 4-4. After Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor which Jets forward is worth more than a top 4 RHD?
I don't see a scenario where neither Copp nor Lowry are protected.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't see a scenario where neither Copp nor Lowry are protected.
Lowry will be a UFA and Copp will be 1 year away from UFA status and arbitration eligible. Lowry likely signs back on but no need to rush this before the ED. Overcharge will likely have Copp on his way out anyways so losing him with 1 year left isn’t a big ED loss. Either way a legit top 4 D is worth more than either one.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lowry will be a UFA and Copp will be 1 year away from UFA status and arbitration eligible. Lowry likely signs back on but no need to rush this before the ED. Overcharge will likely have Copp on his way out anyways so losing him with 1 year left isn’t a big ED loss. Either way a legit top 4 D is worth more than either one.

I agree, I think the org likes Copp and would bring him back for the right price but I am not sure if the org and Copp will be able to agree on that. I think it is one of Lowry/Copp on the roster after this season we just won't have the cap space to accommodate both imo. I personally would like to keep Copp as I feel he is more versatile then Lowry but I supect the org thinks differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad