Trade Deadline- What to Do??

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I was skeptical of Hino, but he has impressed me. He's not someone I'd be looking to move. Sign a cheap bridge deal for 2 years and see if he can continue to improve.

Hayden, I'm not as high on as it seems most people are. I wouldn't be upset if they moved on from him. At the same time, he doesn't figure to cost much, so I'd be fine keeping him.

Murphy is the 2nd best defenseman the team has, which is a problem in itself, but I don't know why you would want to make a weak position even weaker.

Mainly agrew with entire post, I just think Hayden has potential to be good. But yeah, I think he is in territory when other teams dont value him as much we Hawks fan do. And yes he cant be expensive and will probably re-sign for cheap.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i am for all the young prospects to make it to the nhl..... but is that a realty ?? no but part of me feel sorry for them not making it. that is a dream of many kids, only to being not good enuf.

did anyone ever have dreams of being a sports superstar not to realize it not going to happen ??

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
So Jokiharju is listed as a RH shot, so I assume he plays RD? I don't recall from the WJC..

_____-Jokiharju
Forsling-Murphy
Keith-Mitchell
Seabrook

SO maybe a young top 4 LD is more suitable for our needs?

Dahlin!?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
So Jokiharju is listed as a RH shot, so I assume he plays RD? I don't recall from the WJC..

_____-Jokiharju
Forsling-Murphy
Keith-Mitchell
Seabrook

Dahlin!?
i really think some of this year rookies will still make an impact on next yr team.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

_____-Jokiharju
Forsling-Murphy
Keith-Mitchell
Seabrook

Dahlin!?
It's BPA and it doesn't matter if LH or RH and if FWD or D.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
AA not on the ice this morning for practice.

Trade I am hoping for? AA to Washington for Samsonov and a 2nd + 3rd.

What do I think will happen? AA to Pitt for a 1st and Cole.

Cole then moved to the Leafs for a 3rd or 4th.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014

AA anywhere for a pick(s) is a good thing

Trade AA and bring up Hayden

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I'm starting to think AA to Pit is unlikely, due to the term of his contract. Don't think Pit can swallow that.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I still would be surprised if AA is moved at the deadline. While I don't think his contract is awful, it's still a big commitment for any teams taking it on.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Good idea, would be great to get a top goalie prospect in an AA trade.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

interesting on the wash idea, a goalie and 2 additional picks.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I still would be surprised if AA is moved at the deadline. While I don't think his contract is awful, it's still a big commitment for any teams taking it on.
I can't see the value in doing it unless you're getting someone you want but has some salary back. Not because AA is paid a lot but what are they gonna do with the extra 4.5? The couple Ufa abs few rfas don't need that for a raise and there's nothing impressive to sign in free agency

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I can't see the value in doing it unless you're getting someone you want but has some salary back. Not because AA is paid a lot but what are they gonna do with the extra 4.5? The couple Ufa abs few rfas don't need that for a raise and there's nothing impressive to sign in free agency

I won't pretend to know who's all out there for free agency, but all things equal, I'd take the 4.5 and shore up the blue line.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Only D-men worth going for are Calvin de Haan (26 yrs old) and John Carlson (28 yrs old) - IF they hit FA..

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I'd move AA's money in order to sign Carlson
45pts in 57gp, may finish with 60pts, will likely get a minimum of 7.5M on a 6 year deal (till he is 35)

Too risky with Toews,Kane (21m), Seabrook (6.875), Saad (6) and Keith (5.5)

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I like John Moore from NJ as a UFA Dman target. 27, from Chicagoland (so may be an easier sell), skates well, pretty good shot, not overly physical in his game but good size, some decent offensive skills (not a higher end PP guy....but relative to what we have on the PP he'll look decent as an option). Carlson is the obvious choice as he instantly helps on the PP (which has sucked for a while now in no small part due to what point options we have) and if you can sign him to Shattenkirk's deal (4 years @6.65) I would absolutely do that. Moore will probably be quite a bit cheaper as he just doesn't have the offensive chops to be a 40-50 point guy that get paid a couple million more per year. Even if we had to go longer term on Carlson, I wouldn't be afraid of those last years if you got him in the closer to 6 per year range. After four years we should gain a compliance buyout in a new CBA to buyout Seabs last 2 years and Murphy comes off the books which frees 10.725 per year.

The Hawks problem's are not what Keith and Seabs are currently being paid, it is that they have not drafted and developed a single top 4 dman in the last dozen years (Hjalmarsson was the last in the 2005 draft unless you want to count Stephen Johns which would be a stretch). You can pay your vets a good buck (and then some in Seabs case) if you are back filling in entry level contract, and second deal talent behind them. We haven't. Hopefully Jokiharju and others are already in the pipeline (and of course winning the Dahlin tankfest lottery would help tremendously). You can sign a Carlson long term for 6.5 and have he, Keith, Seabs, and Murphy making 23 million if you get 3 years of Jokiharju, or Dahlin, or whoever on an ELC playing a top 4 role.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I would trade the farm for Carlson..we just have no way to sign him and no chance Caps let him go to free agency

I'm not sure about if the Caps let him go to free agency (but at this point only months away from being the bell of the ball every team that needs a dman will be bidding on, why would he not test free agency?)....but I do think we have the resources to sign him even up to 7ish per. Caps will have some holes to fill and are fairly tight to the cap so it is not as if they can offer Carlson a blank check. We lose 3.5 million in carryover overage penalty (mostly Panarin), and the cap will go up with inflation a few million. I believe Anisimov is a moveable deal (maybe as soon as this week), and now that Hossa has been approved for LTIR by the league, his deal with only 3 million in real dollars that needs to be paid (if insurance isn't covering his actual salary) is both moveable and gives you a little wiggle room if it is still on the books (start with a compliant roster (only 20 players) on day 1 of the league, and then finalize the deals for some of your own RFA's to get to a 23 man roster on day 2 to go into some of the LTIR). I also think Murphy's cap hit is mostly moveable (maybe you take back a little salary you don't necessarily want).

Beyond that, RFA's DuClair, Hartman, Hino, Gustafson, and Hayden are not breaking the bank with raises as they are mostly having down years or never even had a good year. The only current UFA's I would even consider wanting back are Wingels, Bouma, and Ruuta, If they won't stay for the millionish they are making now, then goodbye, good luck, and next kid up for a cheaper cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad