Trade Deadline- What to Do??

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't know if I expect AA to move. I'd be fine with it, but while his contract is more or less fair, 3 years isn't a small commitment. He's not your standard rental.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
825966c97bd5a5a68dfab58e0b576de2ea3282e362ff44630ec520c26742755d.jpg

Sorry, that's all I could think of.

Wouldn't mind Bennet, and I think Hartman is trade-bait at this point.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Don't think Calgary will trade Bennett for another 1-2 years. Too much raw potential to give up on, and he's only 21 years old.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm still at the point where I don't think that there are many trade options. Our younger guys are cheap and looking good/showing signs of improvement, so those are the ones we'd absolutely want to keep. And our underperforming vets are paid too much to expect to really get much in return. So that leaves superstars, like Kane and Crow, or ancillary players, so we'd have a choice between making an idiotic Subban-like trade or just minor moves, neither of which I'd necessarily say would be major kickstarts to our rebuild/retool.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I'm still at the point where I don't think that there are many trade options. Our younger guys are cheap and looking good/showing signs of improvement, so those are the ones we'd absolutely want to keep. And our underperforming vets are paid too much to expect to really get much in return. So that leaves superstars, like Kane and Crow, or ancillary players, so we'd have a choice between making an idiotic Subban-like trade or just minor moves, neither of which I'd necessarily say would be major kickstarts to our rebuild/retool.

In today's NHL, I don't think rebuilding is a viable strategy - retooling is the way to go.

Ideal scenario (for me)

AA gets moved for a pick+prospect
Hartman gets flipped for a RD prospect
Kempny, Rutta, Bouma, Wingels, Sharp, etc get moved for 3rd-7th round picks
Tank to a top 5 pick

Majicman

Feb 13, 2018
well it's been a super ride with 3 cups and probably could say should of won another during that stretch but oh well I'll take what we got.

As far as the last few seasons I think we all seen that we were fooling ourselves into thinking this team had what it took to win and so did mngement.

A few thoughts are as most think is the Q has got to go and he's run his course but a new coach needs to be here with fresh ideas.also Stanley has to go as he is at best an avg GM.

Stanley has mismanaged the cap numerous times,he has made bad trades and has given silly contracts out that have strap us multiple times.

I still can't believe as many here do believe that 1 of his stupidest deals was to hand seabrook that contract and at the time most knew it so it's not hidesight.so if we could see it why couldn't Stanley see it.these are the things that should get you fired among many other screw ups.

To me I believe that if it can be done is to unload and rebuild using core players along with eating some money or young expendable players added to them to unload.

I know guys are fan favorites still like toes,kieth and Kane but the bottom line is winning and if you put a winning team on the ice then everyone forgets about players that are gone and new heros take there place.its about winning nothing more.

If again the players would wavie their no trade contracts then I would move them for picks,youth and even shorter bad contract just to rid ourselves of our burden.

I would try a possible package of Kane and seabrook in a deal while if a team wants Kane they need to take seabrook to.we get back shorter bad contract and value in picks and youth maybe.

Same goes for toews with maybe kieth in it along with maybe a Hartman for bad contract shorter and picks and youth.

With a creative GM there's always trade that can get done as we've all seen trades go down that we say wow didn't see that coming yet it happens.

So in closing I'm just saying let's blow this up,be grateful we had our run but time to unload and retool.our heros of past need to move on and hope for the future.

Sorry for the long post and future posts will be shorter.thanks for reading and I enjoy reading most on here and their thoughts. I've been a hawk fan for almost 50 years so I seen the best,good and terrible teams.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I’m sure there are lots of teams with 17M in cap space to take Kane and Seabrook.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ottawa and LA made a trade - Phaneuf/Thompson for Gaborik/Shore...seems kind of odd, cant imagine Gaborik staying long in Ottawa...

lets see what we can do to match that!!!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He may not have much choice

That contract is horrific and his production/age/health issues don't exactly make him enticing pickup for other teams around league

Could find himself rotting away as a high cost player on rebuilding team trying to reach cap floor during rebuild

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gus and Jurco suck

Put them on waivers and see if anyone wants them. Maybe we get lucky and someone grabs one of them so we never have to watch them play again

Glass is what he is ,, A career minor leaguer getting his shot at big show because of injury and horrendous performance by a GM. At this point there is no reason to complain about wanting him or Forsberg gone as one will remain to finish out year when Crawford comes back

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Try to trade AA and expirings like Wingels or Bouma to get assets and in AAs case a bit more Cap Space. Go and get a new HC and have at least a bit of breathing room.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
In today's NHL, I don't think rebuilding is a viable strategy - retooling is the way to go.

Ideal scenario (for me)

AA gets moved for a pick+prospect
Hartman gets flipped for a RD prospect
Kempny, Rutta, Bouma, Wingels, Sharp, etc get moved for 3rd-7th round picks
Tank to a top 5 pick

This is probably the best we could hope for ......... unless Stan can move Seabrook

Never give up .... Dion Fan-Uff was traded to LA ..... maybe someone will take Seab's

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
This is probably the best we could hope for ......... unless Stan can move Seabrook

Never give up .... Dion Fan-Uff was traded to LA ..... maybe someone will take Seab's

Yeah but 25% retained and only 3 years left on Dion.. seabs got 6 years left LOL.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Is Oscar Klefbom available as a cap casualty?

Oscar Klefbom not getting it done in 2017-18 at exactly the wrong time

"Klefbom won’t be moved because a large pack of angry fans have turned against him in ugly fashion in Edmonton, but because, as Lowetide describes it, Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli has boxed himself in long-term, big-dollar contracts to veterans like Milan Lucic, Andrej Sekera and Kris Russell, all of them with No Movement Clauses this summer."

He's 24, and after this season has 5 years left being slightly more expensive than Connor Murphy at $4,167,000 AAV.

If you think he could play in your top-4 for the next five years, how tempting is he? Also, if he's a possible cap casualty, that means ELC contracts/prospects/picks going the other way.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Is Oscar Klefbom available as a cap casualty?

Oscar Klefbom not getting it done in 2017-18 at exactly the wrong time

"Klefbom won’t be moved because a large pack of angry fans have turned against him in ugly fashion in Edmonton, but because, as Lowetide describes it, Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli has boxed himself in long-term, big-dollar contracts to veterans like Milan Lucic, Andrej Sekera and Kris Russell, all of them with No Movement Clauses this summer."

He's 24, and after this season has 5 years left being slightly more expensive than Connor Murphy at $4,167,000 AAV.

If you think he could play in your top-4 for the next five years, how tempting is he? Also, if he's a possible cap casualty, that means ELC contracts/prospects/picks going the other way.

Wouldnt hesitate trading for him. He is better than this season has shown.

I think I read something about that he has been playing through injury the whole season and needs some kind of surgery. I dont know though.

I dont think Oilers are trading him but if they do, they are getting very good packages which will include this years 1st very likely. For him I wouldnt trade our 1st but I dont knw if we have the pieces for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad