Speculation: Trade Deadline Countdown [MOD Warning in OP, Page 21]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They have Jarry not to mention Fleury locked in for how many more years? Plus JR is running out of rope in Pitt IMO.
I think Russell (first value) and a prospect/pick has them seriously considering it.

No it doesn't, JR has already specifically said that Murray isn't getting moved.

I don't doubt Russell will get a 2nd and a decent/good prospect. He won't be bringing back Murray, Sprong or Pouliot. Teams just don't trade prospects of their caliber for rental 2nd pair defenseman.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
No it doesn't, JR has already specifically said that Murray isn't getting moved.

I don't doubt Russell will get a 2nd and a decent/good prospect. He won't be bringing back Murray, Sprong or Pouliot. Teams just don't trade prospects of their caliber for rental 2nd pair defenseman.

Don't want to trade us one of Pouliot, Sprong, Murray or a first then you won't be getting Russell IMO. Time will tell.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think there is zero realistic offers that the Flames can make that get them Murray at the trade deadline and probably none at the draft either.

Pens have Fluery locked up for another 3 years and Jarry in the wings. Murray has next to no NHL experience and his value gets regularly blown out of proportion by Pens fans. I think the Pens realize that their core isn't exactly young anymore and they probably want help up front now. I think we'd have to add a bit to Russell, but if Murray could bring back a piece for them to package for Drouin, they make that deal. They have Maatta locked up and Dumoulin on the left side. Something around Pouliot, Shinkaruk/Sprong + late 1st would be pretty hard to beat.

Russell + Shinkaruk for Murray + Bennett seems fair, given Bennetts injury history.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Don't want to trade us one of Pouliot, Sprong, Murray or a first then you won't be getting Russell IMO. Time will tell.

Uh okay? You're not the GM, so just saying "overpay or GTFO" is pointless. Realistically speaking, Russell isn't bringing back any of those guys. There is no past examples of guys like Russell bringing back prospects like Pouliot/Murray/Sprong.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Uh okay? You're not the GM, so just saying "overpay or GTFO" is pointless. Realistically speaking, Russell isn't bringing back any of those guys. There is no past examples of guys like Russell bringing back prospects like Pouliot/Murray/Sprong.

How is asking for a legitimate prospect/ first for one of the most highly sought after UFAs saying overpay or GTFO? That's what the deadline is. It should be called 'overpay or GTFO' day.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pens have Fluery locked up for another 3 years and Jarry in the wings. Murray has next to no NHL experience and his value gets regularly blown out of proportion by Pens fans. I think the Pens realize that their core isn't exactly young anymore and they probably want help up front now. I think we'd have to add a bit to Russell, but if Murray could bring back a piece for them to package for Drouin, they make that deal. They have Maatta locked up and Dumoulin on the left side. Something around Pouliot, Shinkaruk/Sprong + late 1st would be pretty hard to beat.

Russell + Shinkaruk for Murray + Bennett seems fair, given Bennetts injury history.

When was the last time a player like Russell brought back a player like any of the mentioned here?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

The thing is Treliving has pretty much said that overpay or GTFO is his philosophy when it comes to trading. Ok, overpay might be too much but he wont sell just for the sake of selling, because he wants to have a certain reputation: dont bother with lowballing.

moon*

Jarry waiting in the wings to do what? He is a guy, nothing close to something they should be relying on.

And with their cap issues going forward and likely drop off perhaps moving Fleury and going with Murray is a way for them to avoid going right down the crapper as their team ages.

Russell or Drouin isn't changing whether the Pens win the Cup or not so why trade a top prospect for middling pieces that get you the same result?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
A 2nd plus a mid level prospect plus maybe a mid round pick is fair to realistic for Russell. Hudler should get a little less given the competition.

A first would be obviously nice but I'm not expecting it. Top prospects like Murray aren't going to be in the table either.

Don't want Morrow or Pouliot, what with Andersson and Kylington in the system. Priority should be forwards or goalies if possible.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Would we have any interest in Belesky? He's been playing really well, scoring goals and he's been brought up in the past as a RW we could use.

Something around Russell for Belresky or are we wanting picks/prospects instead?

edit: I see TSN has him as a LW, but I thought he played RW in Anaheim?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Jarry waiting in the wings to do what? He is a guy, nothing close to something they should be relying on.

And with their cap issues going forward and likely drop off perhaps moving Fleury and going with Murray is a way for them to avoid going right down the crapper as their team ages.

Russell or Drouin isn't changing whether the Pens win the Cup or not so why trade a top prospect for middling pieces that get you the same result?

Nobody is going to take Fleury off there hands

moon*

Nobody is going to take Fleury off there hands

So Fleury is so bad that nobody will take him but they are going to go forward with him as their starter and give up a guy that may be the best goalie prospect in the NHL?

That doesn't make much sense.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Kind of disappointed the Flames weren't in on Reimer considering he went for next to nothing.

moon*

Would we have any interest in Belesky? He's been playing really well, scoring goals and he's been brought up in the past as a RW we could use.

Something around Russell for Belresky or are we wanting picks/prospects instead?

edit: I see TSN has him as a LW, but I thought he played RW in Anaheim?

I hope not.

Overpaid on a long term deal for a mediocre player is the kind of move that hamstrings you down the road when young guys need new deals.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
So Fleury is so bad that nobody will take him but they are going to go forward with him as their starter and give up a guy that may be the best goalie prospect in the NHL?

That doesn't make much sense.

All kinds of prospect put up great numbers in the AHL and never pan out in the NHL. They've committed to Fluery and went after Jarry, who fits the timeline better. Flames know first hand that a young guy, doing well in the AHL, doesn't always translate to an NHL starter. Russell wouldn't be enough alone, but we could add, like I said. It makes zero sense to keep a guy, like Murray, that won't be your starter, when you're tight to the cap and could fill other holes with him.

moon*

All kinds of prospect put up great numbers in the AHL and never pan out in the NHL. They've committed to Fluery and went after Jarry, who fits the timeline better. Flames know first hand that a young guy, doing well in the AHL, doesn't always translate to an NHL starter. Russell wouldn't be enough alone, but we could add, like I said. It makes zero sense to keep a guy, like Murray, that won't be your starter, when you're tight to the cap and could fill other holes with him.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to move him for bit pieces.

Especially when Rutherford he isn't moving him, Penguins fans say they don't want to move him and it only seems like Flames fan saying they should move him to Calgary.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
If Rutherford takes his usual crazy pills around the deadline, it doesn't seem so absurd to think we could get Pouliot in the deal, which would be tremendous.

I do also like Morrow but don't think he brings near enough value alone, maybe Morrow/Koko for Russell/4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille