Speculation: Trade Deadline Countdown [MOD Warning in OP, Page 21]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
8 days until the the trade deadline.

The Flames find themselves in a unique position holding the most desired commodities at the deadline. Defensemen.

Boston, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, and LA are all looking for D-men.

Russell and Hudler are both in demand.

Look for the Flames to deal Wideman and Engelland at the deadline. With Wideman going before the arbitrator this week it is conceivable he could be back in the line-up for the weekend.

Teams that have interest in the Flames include Dallas, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Washington and Boston.

Hey guys, I get that many of you will strongly disagree with certain opinions being presented, but I remind you of this:

Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person.

This includes the posts with nothing but reaction gifs. Please try and contribute something to the discussion if you're going to post.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Kinda want to hold onto Wideman. His value is at an all time low. Next year he should be paired with either Gio or Brodie, in the top 4.
Gio-Wideman
Brodie-Hamilton

We could potentially get a great return for him at next years deadline.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Any of these guys can be dealt

Hudler
Russel
Wideman
Engeland
Jones
Colbourne
Jooris
Granlund
Bolig

or give away for nothing if we are lucky

Hiller
Raymond
Stajan
Smid

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Aside from Hudler, I expect mostly underwhelming returns for anyone dealt. We don't really have any other tradeable assets who aren't on bloated contracts.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Kinda want to hold onto Wideman. His value is at an all time low. Next year he should be paired with either Gio or Brodie, in the top 4.
Gio-Wideman
Brodie-Hamilton

I like Dennis but Trevling is being pushed to move out some salary to sign Johnny and Sean and I think would really like to take a run at Okposo. With 28M tied up on the blue line for next season Trevling knows that this is there area where he will have to trim salary.

In regards to Dennis being a #2 D-man that ship has sailed long ago. There are to many defensive deficiencies in his game but he is a great right shot for the PP.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Aside from Hudler, I expect mostly underwhelming returns for anyone dealt. We don't really have any other tradeable assets who aren't on bloated contracts.

Russell will bring in a reasonable return as well.

I agree that there are a few bloated contracts that need to be dealt with this year. I think Engelland will go to Toronto for Bernier. His corsi numbers are reasonable compared to the team and it will give Babcock a player he can put in the line-up to protect his young talent.

moon*

Gio-Wideman
Brodie-Hamilton

Putting him in that role could solidify him having zero or negative value.

No way do I want Gio or Brodie having to play the sheltered minutes that Wideman needs and likewise I do not want to see Wideman out there against good competition.

moon*

I think it is going to be a very underwhelming trade deadline, in part because of the market and in part because of Treliving.

There is a ton that should be done (moving Smid, Wideman, Russell, Hudler, Jones) but Treliving seems to value mediocrity and I am concern he really overrates this team and its players.

Patience is good but I wonder how long Treliving has to see this team play like garbage and certain players in particular before he stops with the "long term process" crap and moves out the excess.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think it is going to be a very underwhelming trade deadline, in part because of the market and in part because of Treliving.

There is a ton that should be done (moving Smid, Wideman, Russell, Hudler, Jones) but Treliving seems to value mediocrity and I am concern he really overrates this team and its players.

Patience is good but I wonder how long Treliving has to see this team play like garbage and certain players in particular before he stops with the "long term process" crap and moves out the excess.

Treliving is not a dim man. I have faith he and Burkie know exactly where they stand and though it is not under ideal circumstances I am sure they will find the route that is the best for the Flames.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Putting him in that role could solidify him having zero or negative value.

No way do I want Gio or Brodie having to play the sheltered minutes that Wideman needs and likewise I do not want to see Wideman out there against good competition.

Wideman doesn't have anymore deficiencies in his game than Russell. Paired with a lesser defenseman, they're exposed pretty quickly but with a guy that can skate, they both look pretty serviceable. If Wideman can put up 40 points, next year, with his expiring contract, he should bring back a pretty decent return. Far more than he would this year anyways

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think the only reason Hudler and Jones haven't been traded yet is because of their cap hits. The closer it is to the deadline, the easier it is for the contenders to fit their cap hits in. Might have still retain salary however, and it'll be interesting to see if the Flames are willing to go down the avenue.

If Treliving can find a taker for any or all of Wideman/Stajan/Smid, he should take it and run, so long as an even worse contract isn't coming back.

Last edited:

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm just excited. Hopefully we'll have some moves to announce. One thing I really don't want any Maple Loafs coming over. I've heard links to Bernier and Bozak. I say avoid at all costs. Just my opinion, I'm in Ontario and the Leafs are shoved down everyone's throat here. I just want nothing to do with any Leafs players. They're mostly junk. Just like Raymond was, and the others we've acquired over the years.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I wonder if there could be some fall out over this Wideman situation. The Flames are usually a pretty tight lipped organization, and the league doesn't just go after personal text messages unless they already know somethings there. I'm sure that is probably in the back of the players minds. I wonder if we could see a surprise move that know one sees coming

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the only Hudler and Jones haven't been traded yet is because of their cap hits. The closer it is to the deadline, the easier it is for the contenders to fit their cap hits in. Might have still retain salary however, and it'll be interesting to see if the Flames are willing to go down the avenue.

If Treliving can find a taker for any or all of Wideman/Stajan/Smid, he should take it an run, so long as an even worse contract isn't coming back.

Is Jones A UFA, though? For some reason I thought he had a year left. :huh:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I put a bit of thought into potentially available players and made edumacated guesses at trade value.

David Jones, UFA
Deadline Day Cap Hit (approx) $860,000
Trade Value: Decent size & depth winger, streaky player.
Likelihood of trade: good.
Similar trades at previous deadlines:
2015 - Chris Stewart (2nd round pick)
2015 - Curtis Glencross (2nd round pick, 3rd round pick)
2014 - Lee Stempniak (3rd round pick)
2014 - Tuomo Ruutuu (Andrei Loktionov, cnd 3rd round pick)
2014 - Dustin Penner (4th round pick)

Jiri Hudler, UFA
Trade Value: Depth scoring top six forward.
Likelihood of trade: probably outta here
2015 - Antoine Vermette (Klas Dahlbeck, 1st round pick)
2014 - Thomas Vanek (and cnd 5th for Sebastian Collberg, cnd 2nd round pick)
2014 - Marian Gaborik (Matt Frattin, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick)

Kris Russell, UFA
Deadline day cap hit (approx) $560,000
Trade value: #4 defenseman & shot block leader
Likelihood of trade: very good, since Wideman probably won't be traded.
2015: Ben Lovejoy (Simon Despres)
2015: Ian Cole (Robert Bortuzzo, 7th round pick)
2015: Jeff Petry (2nd round pick, cnd. 5th round pick)
2015: Braydon Coburn (Radko Gudas, 1st round pick, 3rd round pick)
2015: Kimmo Timonen (2nd round pick, cnd. 4th round pick)
2014: Andy MacDonald (Matt Mangene, 3rd round pick, 2nd round pick)

Joe Colborne, RFA
Deadline Day Cap Hit (approx) $275,000
Trade Value: Depth forward with possible future potential
Likelihood of trade: unlikely to be traded alone, more likely an add-in as part of a bigger deal. Flames might still see him as part of the future.

Dennis Wideman, 1 year remaining @ $5.25 million cap hit
Deadline day cap hit (approx) $1.13 million
Trade value: Offensive defenseman, with perceived baggage
Likelihood of trade: comical, unless someone is desperate.

Deryk Engelland, 1 year remaining @ $2.9 million cap hit
Deadline day cap hit (approx) $624,000
Trade value: depth defenseman / insurance
Likelihood of trade: it's possible, I suppose.

Guys that have been mentioned but probably won't be traded for any number of reasons (or will return an equally poor contract/player):
Matt Stajan, Mason Raymond, Ladislav Smid (injury), Kari Ramo (injury), Jonas Hiller (no good)

Ace's predictions:

David Jones - 3rd round pick (being generous)
Jiri Hudler - 1st round pick +
Kris Russell - 2nd round pick +
Deryk Engelland - 5th round pick, or cap dump + (but is probably kept)
Dennis Wideman - no trade value
Joe Colborne - 4th round pick (but is probably kept)

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think the only Hudler and Jones haven't been traded yet is because of their cap hits. The closer it is to the deadline, the easier it is for the contenders to fit their cap hits in. Might have still retain salary however, and it'll be interesting to see if the Flames are willing to go down the avenue.

If Treliving can find a taker for any or all of Wideman/Stajan/Smid, he should take it an run, so long as an even worse contract isn't coming back.

Don't think Smid will go anywhere unless he is able to play between now and the 29th. The history with his neck issues will have all GM's wary.

Don't think Stajan will be traded for a couple reasons. First the club is endeared to him after his personal struggles. Second his salary is very very high for a fourth line center. Lastly he is a leader in the dressing room.

I could actually see Stajan retiring and getting into a scouting/minor league coaching role before I see him traded. Can't knock the mans character.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I put a bit of thought into potentially available players and made edumacated guesses at trade value.

David Jones, UFA
Trade Value: Decent size & depth winger, streaky player.
Likelihood of trade: good.
2015 - Chris Stewart (2nd round pick)
2015 - Curtis Glencross (2nd round pick, 3rd round pick)
2014 - Lee Stempniak (3rd round pick)
2014 - Tuomo Ruutuu (Andrei Loktionov, cnd 3rd round pick)
2014 - Dustin Penner (4th round pick)

Jiri Hudler, UFA
Trade Value: Depth scoring top six forward.
Likelihood of trade: probably outta here
2015 - Antoine Vermette (Klas Dahlbeck, 1st round pick)
2014 - Thomas Vanek (and cnd 5th for Sebastian Collberg, cnd 2nd round pick)
2014 - Marian Gaborik (Matt Frattin, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick)

Kris Russell, UFA
Deadline day cap hit (approx) $560,000
Trade value: #4 defenseman & shot block leader
Likelihood of trade: very good, since Wideman probably won't be traded.
2015: Ben Lovejoy (Simon Despres)
2015: Ian Cole (Robert Bortuzzo, 7th round pick)
2015: Jeff Petry (2nd round pick, cnd. 5th round pick)
2015: Braydon Coburn (Radko Gudas, 1st round pick, 3rd round pick)
2015: Kimmo Timonen (2nd round pick, cnd. 4th round pick)
2014: Andy MacDonald (Matt Mangene, 3rd round pick, 2nd round pick)

Joe Colborne, RFA
Deadline Day Cap Hit (approx) $275,000
Trade Value: Depth forward with possible future potential
Likelihood of trade: unlikely to be traded alone, more likely an add-in as part of a bigger deal. Flames might still see him as part of the future.

Dennis Wideman, 1 year remaining @ $5.25 million cap hit
Deadline day cap hit (approx) $1.13 million
Trade value: Offensive defenseman, with perceived baggage
Likelihood of trade: comical, unless someone is desperate.

Deryk Engelland, 1 year remaining @ $2.9 million cap hit
Deadline day cap hit (approx) $624,000
Trade value: depth defenseman / insurance
Likelihood of trade: it's possible, I suppose.

Guys that have been mentioned but probably won't be traded for any number of reasons (or will return an equally poor contract/player):
Matt Stajan, Mason Raymond, Ladislav Smid (injury), Kari Ramo (injury), Jonas Hiller (no good)

Ace's predictions:

David Jones - 3rd round pick (being generous)
Jiri Hudler - 1st round pick +
Kris Russell - 2nd round pick +
Deryk Engelland - 5th round pick, or cap dump + (but is probably kept)
Dennis Wideman - no trade value
Joe Colborne - 4th round pick (but is probably kept)

Great post. Disagree on Wideman. I think a teams like Columbus, Nashville And Minnesota could have very real options.

Columbus is wanting to do a mini rebuild Wideman and Wotherspoon for Bobrovsky. Would allow the Bluejackets to sign Stamkos.

Minnesota wants to get Stamkos--- Wideman for Vanek

Nashville -- Rinne for Wideman Klimchuck and Ortio

Don't underestimate those that want into the Stamkos bidding war.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Jones is a UFA. But 4M prorated is still a lot for a 3rd/4th liner; will be difficult to trade him without salary coming or the Flames retaining something.

Who cares if we retain 50%... His contract is done in June.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Who cares if we retain 50%... His contract is done in June.

It's still unknown whether the Flames ownership group is even willing to okay the retention of salary in trades. In the past, they've signaled they don't like paying players not to play for them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's still unknown whether the Flames ownership group is even willing to okay the retention of salary in trades. In the past, they've signaled they don't like paying players not to play for them.

I think this could be different under Burke. Burke has full control of hockey ops, I think Feaster was handcuffed at doing such.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think this could be different under Burke. Burke has full control of hockey ops, I think Feaster was handcuffed at doing such.

Burke in the past has stated that Treliving has access to fully use the salary cap. I believe that would imply gaining a better prospect, player, or draft pick for salary retained.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, with our two main assets being Hudler and Russell, what other teams and players are we competing against? Who are the best depth defence and scoring winger options out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad