Speculation: Trade Deadline Countdown [MOD Warning in OP, Page 21]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
If it's Boston I want JFK, Lauzon, DeBrusk, Zboril or Senyshyn
If it's Pitt I want Murray, Pouliot or Sprong.

If none of those pieces are available I think I would prefer picks.

Maybe we get lucky and Sweeney and Rutherford both throw the farm at Calgary for Russell's services. Wouldn't be the first time that either of them have overpaid/made a bad trade.

I wouldn't be shocked if we saw something like Boston offering a 1st and Senyshyn/DeBrusk/Zboril or Pittsburgh offering one of Murray or Pouliot. Like most Flames fans, I think I'd be happy with a late 1st for Rusty.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I've never been this excited about trade deadline approaching. I guess I've followed NHL for over 25 years but Flames is the first team I can say I'm a fan of, and I realized that just over a year ago :laugh:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
A player seems more likely from Pittsburgh due to the conditions on their 1st & 2nd due to Kessel trade.

Bruins have two firsts and Oilers 2nd which should be the 31st pick. So I could see us getting a conditional first (Bruins choice, either theirs or the Sharks) and a prospect.

Gotta think goalies Subban and Murray are majorly in the conversations.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Also have to consider the mortality of the owners of teams. Guys likes Jacobs and Snider are no spring chickens and always seem to be pushing for win now.

I'd say Boston would be more of a front runner.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pens fan.

You guys honestly think you'll get a 1st + for Russell?

Also, GMJR has made it clear Murray won't be traded.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Russell, a bottom pair dman is apparently worth the best goalie prospect in the NHL. Or better yet hes worth a better dman in Pouliot. :laugh::laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pens fan.

Polak essentially got a pair of 2nd round picks, so yeah we honestly think a 1st is a legit possibility, especially with quotes/comments from Sportsnet suggesting the majority of teams prefer Russell to Hamhuis; which would make him the most desirable defenseman on the market and well all know how GMs get at the deadline.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Russell, a bottom pair dman is apparently worth the best goalie prospect in the NHL. Or better yet hes worth a better dman in Pouliot. :laugh::laugh:
he's a #4 defenseman and if Pouliot is so much better why hasn't he been able to spend a full tear in the NHL yet? Right, because he's not. Just a suggestion, if you are going to come to another teams board to laugh at mock them, I'd suggest bringing some knowledge of those involved.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pouliot is not a better dman TODAY.

And the Pens need to help Crosby and Malkin win now before they run out of time.

We're not trade Pouliot for sodding Kris Russell.

Just because Polak got 2 2nds doesn't mean that Russell will.

My guess is a 3rd + player

Really though, if we trade for Russell then you'll have to take Ian Cole back.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Pens fan.

And that is why even with 2 of the best superstars on the planet the Penguins have only won 1 Stanley Cup.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

yeah yeah yeah we've heard it before from Penguin fans:

"Joe Morrow is not being traded for a rental"
"Harrington won't be traded, he's the only defensive prospect we have like him"
"Despres is not available"

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Murray wouldn't be shocking at all. Especially, if it becomes a bit larger deal. If the Pens can sweeten the pot enough to get BT to include Shinkaruk, they have the pieces to make a pretty solid offer on Drouin.

moon*

Murray wouldn't be shocking at all. Especially, if it becomes a bit larger deal. If the Pens can sweeten the pot enough to get BT to include Shinkaruk, they have the pieces to make a pretty solid offer on Drouin.

I think there is zero realistic offers that the Flames can make that get them Murray at the trade deadline and probably none at the draft either.

bWo*

Prepare to be dissapointed my friend

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think there is zero realistic offers that the Flames can make that get them Murray at the trade deadline and probably none at the draft either.

They have Jarry not to mention Fleury locked in for how many more years? Plus JR is running out of rope in Pitt IMO.
I think Russell (first value) and a prospect/pick has them seriously considering it.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
2nd round picks (2000-2009)

Got tired of the overvaluing of picks/unproven prospects so did a quick unscientific evaluation of 2nd round picks from 2000-2009. Obviously subjective between tiers but below is what I found:

#1 goalie, top pair dman, 1st liner - 8% chance (25)

#1B-2A goalie, 3-6 dman, 2nd-3rd liner - 14% chance (45)

4th liner, spare dman, career backup - 11% chance (36)

cup of coffee or bust - 67% chance (225)

So that is why GMs, with jobs on the line, throw around draft picks like candy. When you have a chance to get a proven dman in Kris Russell for a playoff run you take it.

moon*

They have Jarry not to mention Fleury locked in for how many more years? Plus JR is running out of rope in Pitt IMO.
I think Russell (first value) and a prospect/pick has them seriously considering it.

A rental that doesn't make them a contender and a pick/prospect that likely never plays for them seems like a terrible deal for a guy that could start for them for 10 years.

Jarry has played a total 18 games in the AHL, it's pretty risky to bank on him becoming anything other than a guy like pretty much every other goalie with his track record.

Hey Rutherford has made some odd deals in his time but it makes zero sense for him to make a deal like that especially after saying he didn't want to move him.

The only justification I can think of for the Pens to make that type of deal is that Rutherford is a closet Flames fan.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I'm gonna miss the Kris Russell from Caroline, Alberta person. I wonder how much better he does in another system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad