Does Holland trade for Glendening?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Pretty sure we all thought that was Kahun 30 some odd games ago. I certainly thought he'd be a good top 9 addition. Turns out he wasn't.

Do I wish he'd gotten a real impact forward yesterday? Yes. Did I really think that sort of move happened before the offseason? No. I'll take a guy who has been playing Top 4 duty on a bad team and doing a good job of it though. Maybe if our defense improves it means we won't need to score 5 goals a game.
Our pro scouts continue to bat at an alarmingly bad rate. That should be a concern.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
2016-17 didn't happen? Last year doesn't count because...? Come on man.

2016-17 was four years ago now and most of that team is now gone. Last year, they should have made the playoffs, but they didn't.

Experience is far less important to success than acquiring players who can outscore the other team when McDrai aren't on the ice. That should be the focus.

While I agree, we weren't well positioned to get those players so we're at least getting the experience, and I'm not that convinced selling off our own players would have put us in a better position to get said good players in the summer.

And if they keep those guys and lose in the first round you have zilch.
Yes, this is certainly the risk. This risk would also have existed even if Holland had pulled off a miracle and obtained all of Hall, Savard and Foligno and you'd have had even less.

I completely see your point of view, I'm just in the head space that when you possibly have the best two players in the league you don't sell if you are in a playoff spot no matter what and then you see what they can do. Don't take a tire iron to their knees to stop them. I would have preferred some re-enforcements but looking at what actually happened yesterday instead of any of the theoretical trades that didn't materialize for anyone, I'm not sure there was much more that could have been done that significantly improved their odds yesterday.

This is still a playoff team. This is still a team positioned to possibly take 2nd place in their division. This team has now only 7 times in 42 games this year not been able to at least be tied or be winning at some point in the third. Two of the times were in the first week where the team hadn't really put things together yet. Three others were a strange three game home slump against Toronto, where the other 6 games vs them have been very tight with Edmonton going 3-2-1. One more was the sudden re-schedule against Montreal after sitting in a hotel for a week then playing them on the back end of a back to back and the last was another suddenly rescheduled game played hours after a memorial service for a teammate.

This season isn't a write off, so let's see what they can do. With Toronto's history of choking in the first round, Edmonton still has a chance to come out of the North (albeit less than they did before Toronto's moves). Holland has a shit ton of work to do this summer, and if he underwhelms in the summer than I'm all aboard the crucify Holland train as they really don't have any more years to piss away.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Oilers should have added a veteran forward, either depth or up top. Like Nygard and a 5th for Glendenning at 50%, which completely compares to the raffl deal
More specifically what trade that actually did happen yesterday would you rather the Oilers have completed. This excludes Hall as it's pretty clear he wasn't available for the same price to anyone else.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Now let’s see if the Hall curse follows him to Boston. They’re just hanging on the 4th in the division. Imagine if they get passed by NY or Philly and then they win the lotto.

If that happened, it could officially be declared that he is the most elite anti-lucky/super-lucky player in the history of the NHL. I'd love to see it actually.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If that happened, it could officially be declared that he is the most elite anti-lucky/super-lucky player in the history of the NHL. I'd love to see it actually.
They could not get the 1st over all though since the NHL changed the draft lottery rules again. Maybe that's what lowered Halls trade value!

Reactions: bone

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
More specifically what trade that actually did happen yesterday would you rather the Oilers have completed. This excludes Hall as it's pretty clear he wasn't available for the same price to anyone else.
Well I guess nothing really. I just feel they should have found a way to add another forward.

The Oilers got better yesterday, but they could have done a bit more.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well I guess nothing really. I just feel they should have found a way to add another forward.

The Oilers got better yesterday, but they could have done a bit more.

This is moreso my arguments (and some others on here). The trade market yesterday didn't support what Edmonton wanted or needed to do to improve their odds, so better to do less instead of blowing your load on something that doesn't end up helping you much.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This is moreso my arguments (and some others on here). The trade market yesterday didn't support what Edmonton wanted or needed to do to improve their odds, so better to do less instead of blowing your load on something that doesn't end up helping you much.
That's fair and I agree. None of the forwards the Oilers were rumoured to be around were moved at all.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That 1st could still be a valuable tool at the draft or in the offseason. It should be on the table if teh right opportunity comes along. Between 1998 and 2012 teh Red wings only picked in the first round 6 times. Sometimes this was moving down to get multiple picks. Sometmes it was for players. But Holland is not adverse to moving a first.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That 1st could still be a valuable tool at the draft or in the offseason. It should be on the table if teh right opportunity comes along. Between 1998 and 2012 teh Red wings only picked in the first round 6 times. Sometimes this was moving down to get multiple picks. Sometmes it was for players. But Holland is not adverse to moving a first.

Unless they are convinced about the player available on draft day and if the first hasn't been used in a trade, I'd be all for trading down for two 2nds. One in this year's draft and another in next years. Future draft capital is looking like it will be very important if they want to make deadline deals next year. Having a first and 2-seconds in next years draft is a nice batch of picks to float around at next year's deadline.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Cup contender to picking in the top 5 would also be quite the swing.
There was discussion on the ruins boards about what number he should wear. I was so wanting to suggest 10A but figured it was a quick path to an infraction...

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think the deadline was terrible for Holland yesterday. Like many people have said, there weren't any trades that I wish the Oilers were in on, aside from maybe Hall but who knows the circumstances around that. I like the addition of Kulikov, and I hope they can sign him.

But there's going to be a ton of pressure on Holland this offseason, and the Kassian contract is concerning. I see the lineup like this going into the offseason:

X - McDavid - Puljujarvi
X - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Kahun - X - X
Archibald - Khaira - Kassian

Nurse - X
X - X
Russell - Bouchard

I didn't include players who are not signed for next season to show how much could change if things don't go according to plan. Barrie, Nuge and Larsson may not re-sign, and they need to get out of a couple of contracts. It's a lot of weight to put on one offseason and being able to sign free agents to decent contracts. I hope Holland can figure it out and make a couple of impact trades, because signing free agents is rarely the fix that you hope it will be.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Here is a question I would likel to know the answer to? If Neal was helathy and had basically the same sort of impact in the playoffs as he did last year where he was actually very good what would be his value at $2M on the cap. Would it still be negative?
I’m not sure but let’s hope he can get healthy and impact the game positively in the post season. Him playing well would be in everyone’s best interests.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I’m not sure but let’s hope he can get healthy and impact the game positively in the post season. Him playing well would be in everyone’s best interests.
The reason I ask is because I have proposed similar three team trades to the one quoted in the twitter account before with a buyout. But I could see guy like Neal at $2M having some value to a tem like Ottawa with a lot of kids who are all learning how to win. If he can have even a modest bounce back I think it opens up a fair nimber of opportunities to move his contract at a reasonable cost.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The reason I ask is because I have proposed similar three team trades to the one quoted in the twitter account before with a buyout. But I could see guy like Neal at $2M having some value to a tem like Ottawa with a lot of kids who are all learning how to win. If he can have even a modest bounce back I think it opens up a fair nimber of opportunities to move his contract at a reasonable cost.
Yeah no I hear you. The way Holland handles the Koskinen and Neal (and maybe Kassian) contracts in the offseason will be very telling IMO of whether he’s willing to be creative or stick to dinosaur tactics.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Now that I think about it. It was a good idea we kept our 1st round pick. Tampa is going to lose Cirelli/Sergachev/Cernak or both once Kucherov 9.5M contract comes into affect next season. Buy out Neal. We should be able to get Cirelli for a 1st+

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Now that I think about it. It was a good idea we kept our 1st round pick. Tampa is going to lose Cirelli/Sergachev/Cernak or both once Kucherov 9.5M contract comes into affect next season. Buy out Neal. We should be able to get Cirelli for a 1st+

You don’t see anything wrong in trading a 1st+ for a players who’s career high in points is 44 and makes $4.8 Mil a year... Bad asset management. Which is part of the reason why we are up against the cap in the first place. You could sign a player as good, if not better, this summer for no assets.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad