Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hyman would be an upgrade and cheaper.

I don't know. He's having that kinds of seasons that perpetual .5PPG players have going into UFA where their offense explodes and because they do so on the strength an aggressive game style they play GMs line up the Brinks truck to sign to later be disappointed. I full suspect he gets more than RNH this summer.

Reactions: belair

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don't know. He's having that kinds of seasons that perpetual .5PPG players have going into UFA where their offense explodes and because they do so on the strength an aggressive game style they play GMs line up the Brinks truck to sign to later be disappointed. I full suspect he gets more than RNH this summer.

Clarkson 2.0 incoming

Reactions: Skar

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Spector made a nice point on Stauffer's show yesterday. Hall has exceptionally poor timing if he's the one that facilitated the trade to Boston, using his NMC. It's not their year to go for it. Even with Hall there, that team is just hanging on.

If he blocked a deal to the Island, that's pretty questionable.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hear me out, but what if Haas actually gets an even strength point on the 2nd line next game?
It hurts to see him elevated. He's moving into PRussell territory. The guy literally only scores when the team is up by five goals against Calgary.

Give Turris a longer leash until RNH gets back. Or Ennis. Or even Kassian. Get some of these guys going. Or throw 'em altogether, Tipp. I dunno.

Reactions: Oilhawks and bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It hurts to see him elevated. He's moving into PRussell territory. The guy literally only scores when the team is up by five goals against Calgary.

Give Turris a longer leash until RNH gets back. Or Ennis. Or even Kassian. Get some of these guys going. Or throw 'em altogether, Tipp. I dunno.

I vote to dress only 9 forwards and 9 defense and have McDrai play 40 minutes..... Success!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Spector made a nice point on Stauffer's show yesterday. Hall has exceptionally poor timing if he's the one that facilitated the trade to Boston, using his NMC. It's not their year to go for it. Even with Hall there, that team is just hanging on.

If he blocked a deal to the Island, that's pretty questionable.
He probably hates Eberle.

Or it's because he knows the Islanders ripped off the Oilers in the Barzal trade, and he doesn't want to play for them out of loyalty to the Oilers, who he will be signing with this offseason.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Call up McLeod, Marody and/or Benson FFS and play Bouchard once we’re a mathematical lock for the playoffs.

That’s the time to experiment and give our big guys some rest.

Reactions: Oilhawks

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
It's beyond frustrating that we're not calling anybody up during this week off where they wouldn't have missed as many games, and we're in desperate need of some forward help. Not to mention Bouchard wasting a full year of development.

Reactions: ZenOil

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's beyond frustrating that we're not calling anybody up during this week off where they wouldn't have missed as many games, and we're in desperate need of some forward help. Not to mention Bouchard wasting a full year of development.

Let's not forget Bouchard also got 23 games in Sweden, 12 games here and possibly so more while getting to practice every day with the big club. I'd rather he get more games in, but it's definitely not a wasted year. Particularly with how the AHL is diluted so much this year, I'm not sure it would be building any better habits for him than practicing with the NHLers.

Reactions: GOilers88

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Let's not forget Bouchard also got 23 games in Sweden, 12 games here and possibly so more while getting to practice every day with the big club. I'd rather he get more games in, but it's definitely not a wasted year. Particularly with how the AHL is diluted so much this year, I'm not sure it would be building any better habits for him than practicing with the NHLers.
I guess but a really important thing for a young player is to play though. He can practice all he wants but game speed is totally different. Hard to judge and improve your hockey play if you don't play hockey

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I guess but a really important thing for a young player is to play though. He can practice all he wants but game speed is totally different. Hard to judge and improve your hockey play if you don't play hockey

Certainly. He does need some more games somewhere. I'm just saying it's not a complete waste of a year developmentally here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Certainly. He does need some more games somewhere. I'm just saying it's not a complete waste of a year developmentally here.
True I do forget all the games he is playing.

I have a strong feeling he is spending a lot of time watching Barrie, learning how a guy with a similar offensive toolset can excel at the NHL level. If we move on from Barrie and he can bring even 2/3 of his offense, that frees up so much money for us to improve elsewhere

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I hope we see some callups after the AHL playoff deadline tomorrow. Benson, Marody, and McLeod would be upgrades on our current bottom six as sad as that is

Reactions: The Safe Play

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Calling Benson or Marody up only limits the amount of playing time they're likely to get in the coming weeks. They're playing McDavid minutes right now in Bakersfield. They'd have to sit for 7 days before they're available, then they'd need several practices to draw in to what's likely to be a limited depth role with no PP or PK time.

If anything, these guys might get call-ups closer to the end of the season when the playoff matches are set and it looks like resting some of the busier forwards makes sense. Benson might get some garbage time minutes to strut his stuff during the rescheduled games.

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Calling Benson or Marody up only limits the amount of playing time they're likely to get in the coming weeks. They're playing McDavid minutes right now in Bakersfield. They'd have to sit for 7 days before they're available, then they'd need several practices to draw in to what's likely to be a limited depth role with no PP or PK time.

If anything, these guys might get call-ups closer to the end of the season when the playoff matches are set and it looks like testing some of the busier forwards makes sense. Benson might get some garbage time minutes to strut his stuff during the rescheduled games.
Well said.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Looking at how things are shaping up at forward, I'm wondering if Tippett might move Yamamoto down the roster and see if he can drive his own line. He's not getting it done offensively this season on Draisaitl's line. Take the Ottawa games away this season and he's got 12 points on the year. Not enough.

He adds an Archibald-level of intensity in his forecheck, so maybe he could bump up the effort level of a depth line.

Something like...

XXXX -McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - XXXX
Shore - Khaira - Archie
XXXX - Turris - Yamo

You've got a mix of Kahun, Ennis, Kassian, Chiasson, Neal, Haas, PRussell and Nygard to round out the final the spots, but I don't see a unit that looks dead in the water assuming they bring their 'A' game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Looking at how things are shaping up at forward, I'm wondering if Tippett might move Yamamoto down the roster and see if he can drive his own line. He's not getting it done offensively this season on Draisaitl's line. Take the Ottawa games away this season and he's got 12 points on the year. Not enough.

He adds an Archibald-level of intensity in his forecheck, so maybe he could bump up the effort level of a depth line.

Something like...

XXXX -McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - XXXX
Shore - Khaira - Archie
XXXX - Turris - Yamo

You've got a mix of Kahun, Ennis, Kassian, Chiasson, Neal, Haas, PRussell and Nygard to round out the final the spots, but I don't see a unit that looks dead in the water assuming they bring their 'A' game.
Hell why not just mix in the Bakersfield trio

Benson - McDavid - Pulju
RNH - Draisaitl - Marody
Kahun - McLeod - Yamamoto
Shore - Khaira - Archibald

boatsNhossa

Jun 24, 2015
The real reason Hall didnt come back.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1618357601258.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618357601258.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 17

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope 1 of the 3 Tampa players shakes loose. My guess is Tyler Johnson ends up in Seattle based on being from near there. It would be a good marketing idea for them. Also, there are other ways Tampa will drop salary before letting any of those 3 become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad