GDT: Trade Deadline 2021 - Holland Keeps His Kul-ikov and Gets a Dman

Does Holland trade for Glendening?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
You don’t see anything wrong in trading a 1st+ for a players who’s career high in points is 44 and makes $4.8 Mil a year... Bad asset management. Which is part of the reason why we are up against the cap in the first place. You could sign a player as good, if not better, this summer for no assets.

He's also 23 years old and already a selke level center. If you're not willing to trade a 1st for that I don't know what you're thinking.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ennis should be playing on the fourth line. Doesn't make sense. He's been relatively productive compared to the rest of the bottom six.

Also Turris should be in Haas' spot. I know Turris has been brutal, but Haas is never going to be a productive offensive player in the NHL. I like him, but he just doesn't have it.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I don't think people realize how much cap space we're going to have next year.

Holland mentioned that the 2021 offseason is when he's really going to start looking at improving the team via trades + free agency, due to all the cap that's coming off the books. And since his tenure, we've technically made the playoffs each year. Considering this was our developing stage, that's pretty impressive.

Here's a sample team next year with a ton of FA signings, (which isn't always the way to go), and a Neal buyout to help make the cap work:

Brandon Saad - Connor McDavid - Jesse Puljujarvi
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Leon Draisaitl - Kailer Yamamoto
Tyler Benson - Ryan McLeod - Joel Armia
Josh Archibald - Jujhar Khaira - Zach Kassian
EX: Gaetan Haas

Darnell Nurse - Ethan Bear
Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson
Dmitri Kulikov - Evan Bouchard
EX: Lagesson, Russell

Chris Dreidger
Mikko Koskinen

Cap Space: ~2 million

Take our record this year and add a more reliable starter in Driedger, a healthy (to what extent we don't know) Klefbom, Saad, Bouchard/Kulikov, Armia, and Benson + McLeod.

Obviously that's putting some faith in the two AHL youngsters, but I think its time they get an NHL look. If they by any chance don't workout, we have the cap flexibility to bring in a 3C/LW that can replace one of them if they struggle.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You don’t see anything wrong in trading a 1st+ for a players who’s career high in points is 44 and makes $4.8 Mil a year... Bad asset management. Which is part of the reason why we are up against the cap in the first place. You could sign a player as good, if not better, this summer for no assets.
That career high 44 points is pretty impressive. Little time on the PP. 37 even strength points mostly playing on the bottom 6. Cirelli is the player we are hoping Holloway becomes. We need more of those type of players. We won't find them in free agency. For sure not under 5M.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Cirelli is 200 games into his career, 23 and improving, on pace for a 49 point season this year (if 82 games played), and earning Selke nominations. He's decent possession (granted on a good possession team) and isn't overly sheltered for zone starts. He's basically younger Nugent Hopkins with some still untapped potential and a Stanley Cup on his resume and his scoring isn't coming from the Power Play. I'd consider it for sure.

The only thing I'd like to see is a bit better face off stats.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Holland mentioned that the 2021 offseason is when he's really going to start looking at improving the team via trades + free agency, due to all the cap that's coming off the books. And since his tenure, we've technically made the playoffs each year. Considering this was our developing stage, that's pretty impressive.

Here's a sample team next year with a ton of FA signings, (which isn't always the way to go), and a Neal buyout to help make the cap work:

Chris Dreidger
Mikko Koskinen

Take our record this year and add a more reliable starter in Driedger, a healthy (to what extent we don't know) Klefbom, Saad, Bouchard/Kulikov, Armia, and Benson + McLeod.

Obviously that's putting some faith in the two AHL youngsters, but I think its time they get an NHL look. If they by any chance don't workout, we have the cap flexibility to bring in a 3C/LW that can replace one of them if they struggle.

We've got so much cap that I think it would actually be smart to not buy out Neal unless they absolutely have to.

Give him a full offseason to recover and get into game shape and I think he's at least a passable 4th liner next year. He's still valuable on the PP especially with Chiasson likely gone. Would be nice to have him to play there a bit and hopefully help a guy like Pulju eventually take over.

That contract will be a lot less painful to deal with if we make it through one more year.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We've got so much cap that I think it would actually be smart to not buy out Neal unless they absolutely have to.

Give him a full offseason to recover and get into game shape and I think he's at least a passable 4th liner next year. He's still valuable on the PP especially with Chiasson likely gone. Would be nice to have him to play there a bit and hopefully help a guy like Pulju eventually take over.

That contract will be a lot less painful to deal with if we make it through one more year.

Yeah, maybe it makes sense to send a couple guys to arbitration to allow that second buyout window mid-summer because no need to buy him out if the space isn't used elsewhere (ala Pouliot who's finally coming off the cap this summer).

Reactions: McDNicks17

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

Or Neal goes on ltir due to covid complications, sure more believability then developing an allergy to your equipment

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Honestly I think the Oil are going to push a kid-movement next year. I can see Benson, McLeod, and Marody all getting long looks, plus Holloway joining later in the year.

Do I expect all of them to stick? No, but they've earned a shot to make the team out of camp.

I can see the start of the season looking something like this...

_____-McDavid-Pulju
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Benson-McLeod-Marody
Kassian-Khaira-Archibald

Holland will have some of the extra capspace to go after a 1 year rental for the top 6 (though the market is fairly baren), but I think Holloway will get that spot before then end of the year. Thus you might just see Kassian or Turris there as a placeholder if one of them can finish this year strongly.

End of next season I can see something like...

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Holloway-McDavid-Pulju
Benson-McLeod-Archibald/Kassian
_____-Khaira-Archibald/Kassian

THere would be VERY cool to have a rookie line intact- they know each other extremly well since AHL.
But I think TIppet is just to scared to try that of.
ANd ofC it will not work, NHL is a diffrent level than AHL.
But it is worth trying.
Marody is a player that either will hti big, or miss totally.
I have my doubts about Benson, He has it all - on AHL level.
MacLeod. I think he has the biggest chance to stick as a 3 -4th line center.

I have a hard time to see a rookie start in the top 6, but if Nuge walks (which is not impossible. I could really see it they way the neogations is going.....)

I want to resign Larsson and Nuge, I think that is a good strategy. Larsson has found a partner in Lagesson and got new life, and Holland likes his experienced defenders.
Barrie? Well, I dont care, if he chosed Oilers for free, we cant really demand any more.

I would even like Shore to be resigned, when his line is doing great for what they are.

Players Hollnad like to add, I dont see Tatar. But I could see one more try on Hall and Hoffman.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

Chris Dreidger
Mikko Koskinen

Thanks for the visualization. Helps put it into context.

I was not happy with this TDL, but this offseason is Holland's BIG test and you have to give him a chance this offseason before we really grade him. If he fails here, then no one should/can defend him.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I don’t care what anyone says, our lineup without RNH is poverty. He needs to be retained at all costs regardless of his performance this year. Look at our practice lineup today, makes me puke

Reactions: TheNumber4

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
He's also 23 years old and already a selke level center. If you're not willing to trade a 1st for that I don't know what you're thinking.

You could keep the pick and draft someone who’s cost controlled for at least the next 3 years... Like most successful teams do. Keep building the pipeline. No need at all to get impatient.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You could keep the pick and draft someone who’s cost controlled for at least the next 3 years... Like most successful teams do. Keep building the pipeline. No need at all to get impatient.
We have plenty of cost controlled forwards. Holloway, Benson, Lavoie, Savoie, Blumel, Tullio, McLeod. No guarantee the guy we draft with the late 1st becomes anything as good as Cirelli

Drai-McDavid-Pulju
RNH-Cirelli-Yamo

Top 6 is complete. Move on to the next hole to fill

Klef returns. We are only missing a 3C and a starting goalie. Those are easier to acquire thru free agency.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t care what anyone says, our lineup without RNH is poverty. He needs to be retained at all costs regardless of his performance this year. Look at our practice lineup today, makes me puke
Or you just replace him. If he wants $7mill and you sign him to that that's gross.

Retain Nuge or ACTUALLY replace him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You could, but will we?

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
We have plenty of cost controlled forwards. Holloway, Benson, Lavoie, Savoie, Blumel, Tullio, McLeod. No guarantee the guy we draft with the late 1st becomes anything as good as Cirelli

Drai-McDavid-Pulju
RNH-Cirelli-Yamo

Top 6 is complete. Move on to the next hole to fill

Klef returns. We are only missing a 3C and a starting goalie. Those are easier to acquire thru free agency.

Of all the prospects you just listed, Holloway is the only lock to play in the NHL... How is it a late 1st round pick if we lose in the first round? Could easily be a mid round pick in a draft where nobody could scout players. That means players that should be picked a lot higher in the draft might fall to our pick. I’m not sure about you, but the last two 1st rounders that Holland and his team picked were great.

Who’s to say Cirelli comes here and does what he’s doing in Tampa? His supporting cast there is quite a bit stronger than it is here. Building through the draft is the way, it always will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad